ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

360 To Get BBC IPlayer?... Or Maybe Not!.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
It’s long been the killer feature that 360 owners have pined for. Say what you want about Blu-Ray support, offering the Beeb’s top drawer video on demand service, the iPlayer, on a console is now almost a necessary requirement.

And Microsoft knows it. It seems that the people in charge of Xbox Live have been in talks with the BBC about bringing the iPlayer to Xbox for some time now, but the deal has hit a very large and very fundamental snag, delaying the deal indefinitely.

The crux of the problem is that Microsoft likes to charge users for services on Xbox, whereas the BBC cannot charge for the iPlayer as the cost of the service is already covered in the licence fee.

A BBC spokesperson said on the matter: A source close to the BBC said of the matter: “Microsoft only wants to offer its users access to platforms it can charge for as this is the model it is pursuing. It wants to ensure that only those paying for Xbox Live Gold accounts can access its additional content services and even then there is usually a charge on top to get access to those. For example, to access the Sky Player on Xbox, you have to pay for a Gold subscription as well as a Sky subscription.“

They went on to say that “This does not fit with the BBC’s model and Microsoft will not budge at the moment. It is really frustrating for those involved on the BBC side who want to make sure iPlayer is rolled out on as many popular entertainment platforms as possible.”

It’s a big blow to Xbox owners, as - for the time being - there doesn’t seem to be any way round the problem. In the mean time, rumours abound that Microsoft is also talking to VoD providers such as Channel 4, who we’re sure would be over the moon at the opportunity to charge for content.

Link: http://www.t3.com/news/bbc-iplayer-for-xbox-360-delayed-over-cost-row?=42557

Why the feck, would you pay for any player that you can access free on the PC?.... Stupid imho!.

Last edited:
  Skoda Fabia vRS
exactly, they can put it on and charge for it, but nobody is gonna use it, or have it for free like its supposed to be, no chance on this earth id pay for iplayer

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
if you read it properly, they dont want to charge for it. just make it available to gold members only.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
no you dont, your already paying for a gold subscription surely.... so i quite agree, why should silver users get the same? I can see both sides of the argument tbh.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
yes you do, you have to pay for the memebership which microsoft will be sly and add a charge that you wouldnt think anything of but its still there if you get me

Skoda Fabia vRS
hmmmm fair point raised, as long as the price for Live Gold didnt go up, i suppose its pretty fair

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
tbh, why don't microsoft just give it to all its members... i don't see the big hoha tbh. it is only iplayer.

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
yes you do, you have to pay for the memebership which microsoft will be sly and add a charge that you wouldnt think anything of but its still there if you get me

lol you are already apying for that.... nobody will have to pay a penny for iplayer if the 360 gets it.........

Polo + Micra
i get iplayer through virgin so i won't use it

but if they do add iplayer it should be avaliable to everyone

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Another story of the 360 trying to catch up to online features that have been on the PS3's for yonks. !

:D

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
well seeing as i didnt understand "lol you are already apying for that..." didnt make sense as what am i paying for? i live at home and ive not bought the TV licence if thats what your getting at

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
It wants to ensure that only those paying for Xbox Live Gold accounts can access its additional content services and even then there is usually a charge on top to get access to those.

T

thecremeegg

lol its not hard...... NOBODY will pay for iplayer.... its just another item that will be added to gold members repertoire.....not really that hard to understand.

But thats why they cant do it as it means the silver members don't get access - the gold members are "paying" for iplayer technically

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
lol wtf tv licences?!?!?!.... in short, if you have a gold subscription... it will be free. if it ever appears on the 360.....

thecremeegg, anyone with gold is already paying all they will.. its just another feature for current gold members.... it certianly wont cost me anything if it appears so i dont see how its not free? will be for me.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
arrrrrr now i get you, usualy explaining what you mean helps my jock friend and just so you know i dont own an xbox i own a piss3 (iPlayer what ever console you own)

Mito Sportiva 135
I think you will only have to pay for it if you live outside the UK, the BBC outside of the UK is just like any other commercial station.

Still, not a bad idea - would rather watch TV programs on a nice big tv on my sofa rather than on my PC monitor given the choice.