ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

36k service (g'friend is a tool)

PH1 iceburg
My 172 is coming up to 5 years old and 36k so its in need of some tender loving care in the way of 36k service, aux belt and cam belt.

I had prepared the missus for a fairly hefty bill. I have been getting quotes in the region of £700. She went nuts saying that no car should cost that to service and how could it be that much for 1 year. No matter how much i explained to the total dim witted dragon she could not get her head around the age of the car and how parts deteriorate and this needs doing.

She even went so far as to say why dont you sell the car and get a cheaper one!!

Im off to the kitchen to give her an uppercut

Dan

PH1 iceburg
She just said "i thought cars only cost about £100 to service and MOT"

I had to laugh, im sure she is joking, she has to be!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
its a different story when it comes to weddings etc and they only last a day and then a lifetime of misery.

8/10

Pretty hard to improve on that. The uppercut did it for me TBH.

EDIT: Actual proper ROLF @ dim witted dragon! PMSL!11

Clio 182
Haha well i would say thats not a bad price including a service aswell.

As for the g'friend, well I know I am a girl but I know how you feel about girls not understanding you ... my friends are exactly the same. Even some men are just as bad! I guess you're either la car lover or your not. Good luck!

well tell her to add up all the expensive hair cuts she gets in a year and see how much that comes too :D

women think cars should only be filled with that stuff from that place with the pumps and nothing else :D

could maybe tell her its a prada belt going into it ? ;)

Thats a rediculous price for the belt changes... I would go somewhere else!

Renault dealer quoted me just over £400 for both belt changes this weekend. Currently 25% off their cambelt changes.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Cut her up and use her large intestine as a Cambelt??

Quidditch saved and no moaning anymore. WinWin.

Last edited:
  320d
A lot of people just don't understand cars and most haven't ever heard of a cambelt.

I'm sure most family cars will never have the belts changed, people just are not aware of it and then when they heard the cost just think fcuk that.

Tav

Clio 197
Simple solution, tell her how much the parts cost. Then tell her how much labour costs per hour...then tell her how long the job takes...if she fails to understand then just make her leave the room.

Astra van,Mk1 nova
Great thread and replies :D

I dont have that problems with my gf. She likes the fact that i take care if my car etc, she knows the cost of parts, labour and upgrading. She would never tell me to get a cheaper car lol, Just as well because it would be a fud punch straight away ;)

Megane Mk4
TBH I'd make that chain shorter in the Kitchen and stop showing her important yet, difficult words and numbers for her to understand with her simple little thing she calls a brain.

Although, as said, you would probably get that done cheaper elsewhere, always get more than one quote.

BMW E46 330i Touring
£700 for service and belts? Does seem a little bit pricey...

But, yeah, women. Mine's stopped asking how much things cost.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
actually made me lol. to be fair if she doesnt really know much about the car then she wouldnt expect the bill we all know has to come at some point. but £100 come on, nothings cheap these days!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ha ha ha ha, i thought it was just my bird that moaned all the time.
Though come to think of it everyone seems to moan when i buy new things for my car. The only people that dont are the guy/girls on here lol

RS 172+
Ditto the original post :(

My 2003 172 has 35,500 on the clock and need cams/service soon.
Just had a quote from Renault dealer:

Service = £298.32
Cambelt & Auxillary belts = £771.86
Mot = £53.10
Total - £1123.28
We have currently a promotion which i can offer which will bring the price to £1010.95

:(

Of course I said thank you, but no thank you.

I now have a quote from the garage that services our company vehicles, and he has quoted £285.00 for the cam/aux belt :D

Do you think I should I be asking for some sort of guarantee?