ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3D TV, discuss!

SLK 350
Well I'd followed the CES show blogs and post events write-ups and I have to say I can't wait to see these in action. Seems like all the bigboys (Samsung, Sony, Panisonic, JVC, Sharp, LG) are bringing them to market from spring 2010, and in various sizes (47"+) and tech (LCD, LED, Plasma, DLP Projectors). Unfortunately I haven't seen any indication on prices at all, but I guess they're just being cagey.

Eitherway, while I doubt I'll invest in the technology immediately (Gen.1 and price) I have to say I can't wait to see how they perform. The other benefit being as this is clearly the way they're going, 2D Kuro's will be cheap as chips!

In particular I'm looking forward to seeing Toshiba's implementation of the Cell CPU into their sets, they promise near realtime rendering of normal 2D programmes (films, tv and games) into 3D, and the sets should feature tuners, and WIFI capability.

Anybody else looking forward to them? 3D p**n? :)

For sure. I regretted buying 42" pretty much about a month after I bought it but can't realistically justify replacing it because it's awesome. 3D could give me the excuse I need within the next 12 months.

hmdi - 3D can only be carried by 1.4 right? Does equipment have to be 1.4 compliant or is it just a cable and media standard? I ask because I'm just about to take delivery of a Yamaha RXV1065 amp and I'm wondering if it would be able to pass through 3D? I guess not :(

hdmi and 3D

1.3 works with 3d but only upto 1080i you need 1.4 to work with 1080p 2k and 4k

tbh the most impressive thing so far is the lg projector with only 1 lens !

Better than yours. C*nt.
As much as I love Top Gear, and find the guys entertaining, the thought of Jeremy Clarkson's 'Atom' face in the middle of my living room quite frankly frightens me.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
think it'll be a while before content and devices become accessible for mainstream hence buying a new plasma a bout 3 months ago or something.

i'm exciteda about it but i think it'll require a lot of upgrades as i use hdmi pass through for all my stuff so most of it will need rejigging i would imagine

MKIII 138
tbh the most impressive thing so far is the lg projector with only 1 lens !

what ?

most projectors only have one lense

almost any DLP projector can support 120hz with a firmware update due to the way the technology works
example cheap Optoma HD65 from currys, amazing PQ and there is an update coming out to allow for 120hz 3D

my thoughts on the way 3D is done at the moment can be found on avforums. basically 50% reduction in brightness and silly spectacles over my existing glasses is not going to happen.
there is ghosting, image blur, weird depth of field effects and headaches and eyestrain.. its a gimmick.

i have seen a real 3D tv which didnt require glasses and THAT is the future although the technology needs refinement many people will feel an ass hat after sitting in a darkend living room wearing glasses for the next few years to watch a movie that hurts their eyes.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol, Kuro's will be cheap as they have stopped making them.....

And as for the 'real' 3d tv, I think anyone who has been to Harrods has seen it but I wasn't impressed at all, needs a lot of refinement.

I've just bought a new tv so doubt I will invest in this stuff this year, plus I don't fancy giving sky any more than the £70 they already charge me for a 3d subscription!

Not sure I want to sit watching tv with 2 pairs of specs on either, bit we'll see, anything has got to be better than the red and green paper glasses, tried to watch colaline and it was inwatchable. Plus I just see a green image as my one eye has about 70% of my vision. FAIL

Arctic FF 182
I saw a 3d show from sky at the o2 last month and I wasnt that impressed with it, they had a front room set up with what I thought was a 42" TV, it could of been bigger but it looked tiny, from what I saw you would need a massive tv for it to look good, and the sky people were saying people who have glasses already can get some special coating over their normal glasses to make them 3d glasses as well.

She also said sky wanted to make 3d like hd is now, with sky plus the normal and hd the premium service, they want hd to be the norm and 3d to be the premium service.

Ditto^^

Saw one in Harrods and didn't think much of it TBH. I was more impressed with the floor that was covered in LG logos that you could kick about :eek:

even still if it still suffers the same issues as cinema 3d does today then im sorry but im ooot

the 3d tv's i got to see (ones without glasses) in Thailand were terrible image quality wasnt good it made me feel sick and there is no way people are going to sit wearing glasses to watch tv