ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3G or 3GS?

2014 Focus Titanium
Hey guys,

I am getting an iPhone in 2 weeks time and can't wait! Question is, is the 3GS really worth the extra £90? I mean from what I can gather once you have a jailbroken 3G the only difference really is that its quicker?

£90 just to load up Apps a couple of seconds quicker doesn't seem of that much value to me!

SLK 350
Depends on your usage.

It's important to understand that while it's touted at being significantly quicker, the original 3G wasn't exactly slow to begin with, 40% of 1 second, isn't a vast amount of time but makes for great marketing figures.

The one area that it does excel over the 3G is the rendering of webpages, particularly over Wifi, where tests have shown it actually renders HTML5 pages quick than a Macbook Pro. So from that POV if you're on the move a lot, and in a 3G/Wifi area most of the time you're browsing... it may be worth your while.

Over and above that, in honesty, you won't be missing a lot.

Need a video camera? Get the 3GS.
Camera phone? Both produce crap pictures in anything other than perfect light.
Browsing a lot? Get the 3GS.
Battery life? I've noticed zero difference between the 3G and 3GS. Both last a day.
Sat Nav? Not sure how well the 3G runs Nav ware, so might be worth checking reviews.

If money is tight, get the 3G. If it's not, get the 3GS. Both will be old models by Spring of next year I expect.

2014 Focus Titanium
Thanks for that reply hoff, I guess that has just clarified it for me, I do a hell of a lot of surfing on my current HTC so going by what you have said the GS is a must I guess! I was hoping I could save myself £90 lol cos money is a bit tight but never mind!

SLK 350
Thanks for that reply hoff, I guess that has just clarified it for me, I do a hell of a lot of surfing on my current HTC so going by what you have said the GS is a must I guess! I was hoping I could save myself £90 lol cos money is a bit tight but never mind!

I'm not sure how quick the Hero is browsing wise compared to the 3G/S. I'm sure a quick Google/Youtube should render the results you're looking for.

The 3G was a massive improvement over the 2G, where as the GS was a bit of a disappointment tbh. I'd do some research before shelling out, if money is tight.

2014 Focus Titanium
I have the HTC Touch Diamond. It is my second HTC phone and to be honest I'm completely sick of Windows phones. In principle they are great but their clunky, slow and problematic OS's become ridiculously tedious!

Clio 1.5 DCI
IMO 4G (LTE) wont be available on any network until at least the latter part of 2010.

Having witnessed an LTE trial though (HD quality video streaming!!) its going to be worth the wait! Maybe a 4G iphone for xmas 2010... who knows!

A4 Avant
If you haven't seen the extra speed of a 3gs you'll be happy with a 3g. If you have used a 3gs then the 3g seems a lot slower. IMO.

I ended up going for a 3gs and sold my previous phone to fund the difference.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've just gone from an N96 to the 3G. Browsing is quick, and overall the speed of the device is ok. I went to the Apple shop and did a few comparisons with the 3GS, and yeah it's quicker, a fair bit,.. But without holding the two in your hands neither really feel slow TBH.