ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

400 quid for a lambda sensor?!

RB 182
Took my car in for a diagnostic test today because the emissions light had come on. They told me that it was fuel contamination and that wasn't covered under warranty which is bullshit as the light came on before the whole fuel thingy happened i also said i usually use 97ron and have only ever filled up at tesco etc once in almost a year. Still wouldn't have it and wanted to charge me just under 400 quid to put a new sensor in. Now i'm no expert but this seems quite steep to me as the part is only around 100? Any suggestions as to what i should do. Will a normal garage be able to do it or shoudl i geta second opinion from another Stealer? Cheers Rob

BG 182, T2 VW Camper
I had the O2 sensor directly infront of the CAT replaced under warranty from the stealers last week. The part went on back order for a week but otherwise no problems. (If this is the same sensor it looked easy to fit, so 400 quid is well OTT.)

Can the stealers prove that dirty fuel has damaged your sensor?

Volvo S60 T5
Done one today, £110 all in. on a Scenic thats a little bit more of a pain to do than a clio.
So £400 is just a LITTLE BIT STEEP!!!

Im a little worried now this light came on my 182 the other week but went off after a few days, I only ever use v power but do have an aftermarket exhaust fitted, would they blame this?

Warranty is up in less than a month and is booked in for next week.

Would it fail an mot the fact that its been on?

£400!!!!! Even if you did tell them where to go, they still charge bout £90 just to look at it!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Alfas
Name and shame that dealor, they must be having a laugh, Id be tempted to go to trading standards.

RB 182
Ye exactly what i thought pretty much what everyone has said It's easy to see how they mug people off who don't really care much for cars :rolleyes: . I think the exact quote was 364.20 or something :S but bloody hell it can't be that hard! Apparently they have to drain the petrol tank fit the sensor then fill it up again and run it through.. Well i've now got it booked in to Renault Rogate where i bout the car as the're really helpful but the place i took it was SMC WEYBRIDGE which i originally thought were quite good!:lolup: How much do you reckon it should cost then, just as an estimate? Thanks Rob

Clio 172 mk2
Im a little worried now this light came on my 182 the other week but went off after a few days, I only ever use v power but do have an aftermarket exhaust fitted, would they blame this?

Warranty is up in less than a month and is booked in for next week.

Would it fail an mot the fact that its been on?

£400!!!!! Even if you did tell them where to go, they still charge bout £90 just to look at it!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry about it.....my emissions light has been on since september last year!

RB 182
Well i drove down to another garage yesterday and guess what... no fuel problem:nono: erased the memory of the fault, the light has gone out and i need to book it in if i have any problems to get it fixed, on warranty, for free!! Now why the f**k did SMC tell me all that other shite well pissed at them as i had to drive over an hour away to get some good service!!:quiet:

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
They were saying they had to drain the tank due to it being contaminated fuel, lol 1.2 oxygen sensor/connections are not that brilliant

fat arctic ! sold yippee!
funnt that!
i had contaminated fuel or so i was told! anyway all done by the stealers...in eastboure...and yes same quote as you - tesco paid in full 3 days later - problem is since renault had thier dirty hands on my car it now has more problems!