ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4k rattle £400!

Help

The 4k rattle on my cup has been diagnosed as a centre box which I understand from the many threads is the usual cause. However, I understood that as this is a common problem it is repaired under warranty. My Renault dealer at Macclesfield have kindly informed my it will cost 400 quid to replace and that I will have to pay...

WTF?

Chris

Yea, its a lot of money. Your warrenty ran out?

Its cheaper to buy a whole aftermarket system..

Renault Laguna Coupe

Get a Magnex or K-tec system. About £330 fitted, and a lifetime warranty. If you let Renault replace the existing section, youll be queuing-up to pay another £400 in a couple of years time.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

How old is your cup ? if its still under warranty then tell them you aint paying for it.. just fix it.

Ps. I think the entire system costs about £1400

Pugboy, there is NO WAY you should be paying for that, Renault UK surely know about this problem ! They are getting the KY Jelly out ready for you mate ! OUCH !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well tell your dealer its still under warranty, under no circumstances are you gonna pay for a common fault on Cups/172s, and if they refuse or try to make you pay tell them you are going to contact Renault UK and enter a complaint about their dealer.

Dont pay for it ! you shouldnt have to !

172, Tiguan

agreed, but the exhaust is only covered for a year.

Suggest buying a Magnex etc

Surly that should be covered??! Shown em this site and all the problems people have had, worth a call.

I had it on my MK1 i had to pay about 400 the warranty had just run out!!

I told them when they called me that it was a common fault and they said theyd not heard of it... thats bo??ocks surely...?

They just see the £££££ and will feed you any kind of sh1te to get you to pay ! They must have heard of that, it happens on nearly every 172 !

the thing that gripes me most is that i even had it on a list of things to look at on my 12k service but cause they stoved my door in they forgot to check it!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

That is bollox.. nearly every 172/Cup has had it.. do a search on here for 4k rattle !!!!

Same thing on my mk2 172 after owning the car for 2 months - it was 12 months old when I bought it.

Said I needed a new centr pipe which was £200.

Needless to say I now have a 6x4 magnex that looks and sounds the bollox and has a lifetime warrenty. All paid for by the garage where I had the car from as the owner is a renault nut and loves seeing people mod them!

mine was done free after 11 months. The joint came loose after about 6 weeks and the ack box was wobbling all over the place, so I went and got a Ktec to sort the problem for good.

Result.

Renault are paying for it.

One satisfied customer :)

Cheers for your comments guys, and if you have a similar problem call Renault UK customer services, they were very helpful I have to say.

Chris

Do you have the number for Renault UK customer services m8? I need to give them a ring :) Thanks.

Glad you got yours sorted :D

Westwood/anyone

Bit late I know but heres the number for Renault Customer services. Be persistent if you are in the right, thats my advice. They were very helpful tho..

Tel:0800 072 33 72

Pugboy

To be fair if you look in your handbook the exhaust isnt covered by warranty at all. If they did make you pay Renault UK would take sides with your dealership, however i think most cough up with it being a known problem.

-Rob

Rob

Whether its covered by the warranty is not really the issue, what is is how long can you reasonably expect an exhaust to last? the answer is more than 12000 miles/ one year. I think Renault realise and thats why theyre agrreing to pay in most cases.

Cheers

pb

My 172 is going in to Renault to have its 12000 mile, 2 years service on the 22nd March. I have asked them to look at the 4k rattle as it has started to annoy me now, especially on the motorway so I will see what they say it will cost. If they charge me then I will be on to Renault too as it has only done just under 11000 miles at the moment !