ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5 Hour polishing session on my 172

172, VX220t, Westfield se
Well I didn't have anything better to do today so I had decent polishing session on the 172. I ended up spending 5 hours on it and I didn't even start on the interior.

I mainly used autoglym products, Super resin polish, wax and 03b on the wheels and head lights. I polished all the bodywork, inside the doors and around the hinges, boot lid, engine bay and did it all by hand.

Best thing is I really improved the wheels. I went over the stained bits with 03b and the rest with the super resin polish and they have come out well.

Next job is going to be painting the engine cover and start replacing the tatty bolts, which should smartedn up the engine bay some more. I fancy trying a clay bar at some point although the paint work looks pretty good anyway.

Polishingsession.jpg

Polishingsession11.jpg

Polishingsession7.jpg

Polishingsession8.jpg

Polishingsession25.jpg

Polishingsession23.jpg

At one point someone walked passed and asked if I was a professional detailer. I suspect I just have OCD and far too much time on my hands.

Kirk

Yep, I did go most of the plastic bits, but missed the lower grill. I was getting a bit tired by that point. I've never used tyre shine, are there any recomendations?

I spent a lot of the time getting in to areas that don't usually get cleaned. Its the first proper session I've had on the car. It has been looked after and looked ok before, but its looking much better now.

I realise now i've not got it clean enough to justify photos in the detailing section. I wish I had taken some before photos as they would probably show when the time has gone.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
best tyre shine which is ready available at say halfords is meguiars gel tyre shine or meguairs hot show shine, buy some tomorrow and you will be amazed!! then post pics up in this thread, car will look new.

M2 Competition
There are some massive c**ts on here.

Guy has worked hard on his car all day and all you can do is bring it down.

I think it looks good!

Thanks for the constructive and positive comments guys :cool: . The sun shining on it really brings out the depth of the colour.

A lot of that time was polishing around places that are usually missed, like the door hinges, boot hinges, taking the rear lights out and polishing and waxing behind them, so the photos don't represent 5 hours work. Now its been done its should be easier to keep these places clean and help prevent water being trapped.

Also I do potter around a bit and drink quite a lot of tea.

Kirk

182 BEAN
i did the same claying my inferno took about the same time de wheeled it and clean under arches etc and wheels got a right clean hard work has showed mate

some right codpieces on here, granted its not perfect but it looks great!

all you need is it to be silly sunny now to show off your paint mate and a lil bit of tyre shine! good effort though boyo :D

Thanks again for the comments :cool:.

I had an early morning drive this morning which was grear, but it didn't take long before the car was covered in dust.

Morningdrive14032.jpg

Morningdrive1403132.jpg

Mines standard hieght. How much is yours dropped by ? The wheels look cool on yours.

What polish would people recomend I use? In the past I thought the Autoglym was fairly highly regarded, but now I've started reading the detailing sections of various forums people tend to slate it.

I had a look in Halfords for the tyre shine, but it was a smaller store and they didn't have the Meguires. I may have a look in Europarts as they have a lot of Meguires products.

Kirk

Honda ATR
tidy motor fella, ignore the detailing gimps. but i would get some tyre shine. makes a massive improvement to the look.....

r26 , 182
can any one suggest a good make of polish that would be best for my clio ? thanks ash .an btw lovin ya clio.

Golf R/Leon FR
looks good fella, i need to spend a good day detailing the A3

you'll get a better finish if you clay it too.

Not a 320d
surely your talking b****cks, its one of the best and for the price its always a winner.

clay
srp
and a wax ontop

Ya. The wax on top part seemd to be missing, it provides about as much protection as (insert comment about prostitute here as i cannot think of one myself). Its filler heavy, i used to use it once and swore by it so i dont know what im talking about.

Not saying the monaco doesnt look bloody gorgeous though !!

Bumder With A Buffer
SRP is fine dude. It contains a lot of fillers so "fills" swirls rather then removes them.

For the price it's fine. A lot of the other polishes only really benefit from being used on an orbital or dual action polisher. SRP does do some cutting, just really need to work it in!

I'm going to give a clay bar ago soon then. The paint work does look pretty good anyway, but I'm eager to try it out.

I used an autoglym wax, but I've almost run out of it. What wax would people recommend, or should I stick to the Autoglym wax as well?

THe standard ride hieght does look pretty high, but I think the car will be staying standard ride height, I spend most of the time going up and down the motorway, so I'm concentrating on keeping it maintained and looking good, rather than moding.

Kirk