ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5000 rpm Kick

RB clio 182
Im assuming the rather noticeable kick at 5k is completely normal ??

Excuse me for sounding thick, but my friends 197 doesnt have the noticeable difference so was just making sure its normal !!

F*** Vtec !! Feels no where near as good !!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Yep 5k rpm kick is normal, mines remapped with an RSTuner box so the 5k kick has been smoothed out.

I put it back to normal a year or two ago, I didn't like the whole nothing....nothing....nothing.....5k rpm....at last some power.
Standard engines feel broken to me now.

ph1 172
I have found that my kick in my standard 182 is much bigger than my ph1 and others that I have driven or been in, so I would say they all vary considerably

RB clio 182
well its strange you say that, because I was originally going to buy a civic type R but on a test drive I had, it wasnt overly impressive, the whole "vtec" thing.
I find that the clio has a much more grunty feel to it.

RB clio 182
Yeah the kick from mine is very noticeable. Planning on getting a custom map from ktec soon hopefully, but might get a yozza and decat first if I can find a place that sells them or someone selling one second hand.

Yeah you have to rev the type-R's a lot more to get the powerband, something which although is find is a tad annoying, part of the reason I also went to a Clio.

My dad has one of the newer Type-R's (FN2 I think?) and I've gotta say, I'd choose my Clio any day of the week.

RB clio 182
Trouble is with revving that high, your doing silly speeds to get any power !! Plus the biggest extra in the EP3 type r is Air conditioning !!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The VVT does give a kick. The F-4R engine thrives on being driven hard. De-cat will fail the MOT so I wouldn't bother.

53 Clio's & counting
The VVT does give a kick. The F-4R engine thrives on being driven hard. De-cat will fail the MOT so I wouldn't bother.

Here we go again!

The VVT is not the kick. The VVT comes in at about 1650rpm and switches back about 6500rpm from memory, the '5k kick' is the engine getting to VE, or coming 'on cam' in old speak. VVT has nothing to do with that kick.

Do fully agree that in 99% of cases a decat will fail an mot, and although they are no 8000rpm Honda, they do rev freely to 7000 rpm and are safe to do so, and do pull hard up the higher revs with a few mods :)

Nissan 350Z
My old 182 also had more of a kick at 5K than my Phase 1, which TBQH doesn't seem to have any kick at 5K... what the Ph1 does do however, is to start accelerating noticeably quicker once you get it to about 3500 - 4000 RPM... my understanding is this is just when the engine reaches peak volumetric efficiency?

Now, my old DC2 Integra-R. That had a proper kick once you got to 6,000 rpm, and it headbutted the limiter at 9,000 rpm. That was a LOT of fun. Although the kick was amplified by the lack of power below that (but it still wasn't as bad as many seem to think - it was no slower than Clio < 4000 RPM).

No matter, I eventually intend to get a remap to smooth things out, and TBH, on the road, you're better off having a smoother delivery, means you don't have to either drive slow or flat out as per the Honda.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Here we go again!

The VVT is not the kick. The VVT comes in at about 1650rpm and switches back about 6500rpm from memory, the '5k kick' is the engine getting to VE, or coming 'on cam' in old speak. VVT has nothing to do with that kick.

Thanks for that, I was about to get a rage on.

I wouldn't call it a kick either, LOLer. It is nowhere near the kind of kick you get from even a turbo diesel.

Evo 5 RS
It's weird how many people think the VVT does anything. It's just when the cam becomes efficient as Russ just said. It must be because it sounds like V-Tec.

VVT has been around since time began. On the F4R it purely effects low down drivability by advance, there would be NO noticeable kick at 5k from it.

Oh, and V-Tec knocks the socks off the F4R for cross-over, so stop kidding yourselves! Much better engines

Last edited:
  RB clio 182
I had a fabia vrs tdi before the clio. Turbo diesel gives a feeling of power but is very dull to drive tbh.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Vtec crossover on an ep3 is far more violent than coming on cam in a Clio, imo.
My last 172 had a huge kick at 5k, it was standard bar an air filter.
My 182 has cat back exhaust and enclosed ram fed filter, the kick isn't so violent but the bottom end is a lot smoother and it has no flat spot around 3.5 - 4k which the 172 did have...
The 182 has no flat spot at all, and the 5k kick isn't so harsh and it seems a lot gruntier throughout the rev range which has made me wonder if itd had a remap at some point? Wishful thinkin most lilely, but would make sense. No receipt for it though :(

53 Clio's & counting
May well have mate, or to be honest it might just drive a bit better than your old one - Iv had many 1*2's and driven hundreds, and no one has driven the same lol

Oh, I didn't know more expensive was better.

Let me go buy this:

f0b175a1f3aff2b2ede780ec10e161c5.jpg

But are we really having the debate? It's all down to preference lol.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Is that why they are worth double what a Clio is?

Civics? They've come down finally, can get a perfectly nice 53 plate with 100k and full history for less then 3k now, was offered a minter for 2.5k the other week but turned it down (girlfriend has one so can drive that if I fancy screaming the nuts off something).
Most valuable bit of a type r is the engine, it is a marvel, the rest isn't as good.
Much like a golf they have commanded a higher price than rivals for no real good reason, but people see through it eventually.
I much prefer my Clio to my old type r, or my Mrs' type r, it's just a f**king bonus that it's cheaper! Only thing erred about the civic is how much better it pulls when going over 125 or so, 145 comes up so easy in the civic, clio, not so easy...!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I've driven both, was unimpressed with the newer shaped Civic, the old EP3 was a much better car IMO.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Here we go again!

Do fully agree that in 99% of cases a decat will fail an mot, and although they are no 8000rpm Honda, they do rev freely to 7000 rpm and are safe to do so, and do pull hard up the higher revs with a few mods :)

100% spot on!!!

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
The kick is also overemphasised by Renault pulling out a load of ign timing just before hand, to make the engine lack a bit of power at that point. That's why with a re-map the kick feels much less aggressive. It's also the reason they become slightly better on fuel as the added ign timing makes the engine more efficient

197was/second 182is
hi! in my "new" 182 I can't really feel that kick... I had clio 182 before and it was quite noticable... In new I got K tec ultra perfomance, old one has original exhaust, may that be the reason?
Also on idle its quite rough, sometimes its vary from 900 to 1200.... any ideas what to check first?