ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5GTT or Clio 16v

Im just curious to what poeple think are the better car and for what reasons?

Also which do you think are more desirable in the best condition?

The reason being as that I was swaying between these 2 before I got the 16v, but would still love to own one, and will one day!

Danny

GTT as theyre a classic and rare - dont get me wrong as the c16v will eventually reach that kind of status but IMO the GTT is just a bit different...

The Jinx

For me, even better than the GTT is the original 5 turbo, the non-wide arch version.

I WILL own one at some point in time!

I think the valver based on the arches - i just love the way they stick out and give the valver an awsome look over the lower models.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

I traded my GTT for a valver(going back a few years now!) Nicer ride and handling in the valver,better acceleration on the 5. I saw the Clio as an upgrade,but everyone should own a GTT at some point:)

I think the GTT is more desirable. I was considering a GTT or a Megane Coupe or a Williams before i got my Williams. The only thing that put me of was the reliability as i needed it for an every day run-about. Once ive sold my show car though, ill definatly be getting a nice 5 to use for the weekends

But like Mervin said, the older original 5s are even better, but now getting very rare in reasonable condition

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Depends what you want from a car. The Valver is newer and more comfy. Prob "less" liable to break down" Better high end speed and motorway cruising speed.

The GTT is raw, lighter, older, more tunable, more breakable.

I think Id have had more fun with a GTT than my 16v to be honest. Was close to doing a Diamond Geezer after being taken out in his car.

nice to see someone whos owned and then up-graded or changed however you like to think of it!

I think the ultimate Mike would be the Turbo 2 or a clio maxi, but neither would be cheap to buy!

Tucks, so is there a lot of difference between the 5, the clio 1.8 and the clio 2.0, also in your opinion which is the greatist, taking into consideration, handling, performance, maintainability, bodywork, cost?

Danny

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

you cant beat the sound of a turboed car with a dump valve, looks wise it has to be the valver, dunno bout driving as out of the two i have only owned a valver

megane coupe F7R

I wanted a Gtt a while back. If they didnt look so dated inside i would of had one. Turbo cars do sound good but so does a standard clio16v. Probably the best sounding hatch around. Id pick the 16v on the good looks it has and the sexy looking arches and bonnet. Thats what i bought in the end anyway.

Pikey Truck

A friend of mine had a gtt and he sed it was tuned to 290 bhp...

it did look very nice tho...

The Gordini doesnt do it for me, I remember them when they were the hot hatch to own (age showing) and even then they were rare. The lag on an 80s design turbo engine must have been massive. I think the GTT is the one for me, give me a nice blue Raider any day.

The Jinx

The original Gordini disnt have a turbo apparently.

Saw a lovely bluw raider on the way home on monday night at Gatley/Kingsway!

So hard to choose lol!

I love my valver but my brother had a mint R5GTT.

GTT for speed but the valver for the looks.....

EVO VII

GTT all the way but ive got one ;)

Standard GTT is will keep up with a 172 no problem. but there arent very realiable trust me and they do end up eating a lot of your money.

once you hit 200bhp you beat almost everything the kick is just amazing.

my advise is get a GTT as a track or weekend car like me:)

[Edited by JayGTT on 13 April 2005 at 3:22pm]

[Edited by JayGTT on 13 April 2005 at 3:22pm]

I want a turbo now as well as the clio best of both worlds a williams and 5 turbo!

Mike - you dont see many of those around do you?

Personally like the Kirminator said, the phase 2s are even nicer and raiders are gorgeous!

Ive heard they arent reliable, but then others say a well maintained one is??? Tough one, the valver engines seem to be pretty well made though, take a fair amount of stick!

I think Lag is the reason for a turbo, i prefer it to the new ones which are just smooth and you cant really feel the proper force of the turbo!!! IMO!

Danny

This will sound a daft question (i know nowt about turbos so excuse) but the GTT is quoted at 115/120bhp as standard. Is this figure on-boost and what is the power off boost?

EVO VII

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 13 April 2005

This will sound a daft question (i know nowt about turbos so excuse) but the GTT is quoted at 115/120bhp as standard. Is this figure on-boost and what is the power off boost?
its 120bhp max power you cant just turn a turbo off. as soon as you push the go pedal the boost will kick in.

GazTwo thats the nuts (rather original rims)

So wish I hadnt stuffed mine backwards into a ditch - sob, sob.

I loved my Raider and I want it back NOW. Otherwise Im gonna throw my dummy out of the pram.

Thats why bought a 182

5GTT my fav car

GazTwo

ClioSport Club Member
  Blue c/w Gold Wheels

Yeah bought it with them wheels mate, needed 4 new tyres when I sold it so if Id kept it I would have got some originals for it.

I believe the new owner has put the original wheels on, just the fact the tyres are so dam expensive when u can get 195 45/50 15s at 1/2 the price.

Clio 182, OctaviaVRS

Ive owned 2 x Valvers, and 1 x 5 Turbo.

The First Valver never ever went wrong in 1 year of ownership, 2 oil changes, Full exhaust and Air Filter - Car was happy and was great fun, it was only the 2nd car i ever bought so at 18 i thought it was awesome, surprised a lot of people and really enjoyed driving it - i thought it was a great car for a first "fast" car.

Got bored of the power after a while so sold it to buy a Mint reasonably highly tuned 5 Turbo.

It was awesome, loved it - until it went pop.

Great fun when theyre going but they do go wrong - no matter what anyone tells you ;-)

I actually had it all rebuilt, running over 200bhp but my confidence in the engine had gone - i just knew it wouldnt last!

I actually swapped it for a Dimma Clio (Head work, Chip, Cams, Exhaust, Filter etc), was a gorgeous car but just felt soooo sloooow after the R5!

Overall the Clios cost me hardly anything in the time i owned them, but the 5 cost me at least £2000 just in repairs alone.

Thats the biggest difference to me, but then again any highly modded car will go wrong - but id never have got the Clio as quick as the 5!

I sold the Dimma after 3 months and bought a Pulsar GTI-R.

I will own another 5 one day, but it will be running sensible power - and hopefully electronic fuel injection - the biggest problem with them is getting the fuelling right, if its not - it will cost you big time!

Pics:

1st Clio (was a Standard Phase 1 when i got it)

http://www.anything-cars.com/images/CLIOPIC3.jpg

Renault 5 Turbo

http://www.anything-cars.com/images/Mycar2.jpg

Dimma Clio:

http://www.anything-cars.com/images/ClioDimma2.jpg

The 5s just sit so well, very squat.

Danny, what about the BB Peformance 16v turbo conversion kit, a snip at £5400 fitted?? Best of both worlds then. Pushes out over 200BHP at the wheels, so must be 230BHP at the fly. Youd have some fun with the torque steer!

EVO VII

Quote: Originally posted by The Kirmanator on 13 April 2005

The 5s just sit so well, very squat.

Danny, what about the BB Peformance 16v turbo conversion kit, a snip at £5400 fitted?? Best of both worlds then. Pushes out over 200BHP at the wheels, so must be 230BHP at the fly. Youd have some fun with the torque steer!
£5400 a lot of money you could buy my 172 for that :) a well modded 5 would still be quicker aswell.

Love 5GTTs :D Had a few, and just make u grin from ear to ear. As you can see from that raider, theres no need to put big kits on them and they look awesome, as long as they are in mint condition.. which makes them really desirable. (also the grey 5 with subtle mods looks really stunning too :) )

Like the cars, thats a bit expensive that Paul, and im just tryign to think which i prefer the looks of, the 5 or the clio!

As well as this, which do you think handle better, both on coilovers?

Danny

could always get a j3ned TT conversion!

turbos sound great, although I think dump valves sound tacky as f**k... good if you want to pick up 15 year olds tho... stick with your Clio m8, 2.0 it or get a 5GTT engine in, youll be able to get that done cheap I reckon if you got the engine yourself and spoke to Clean16v about getting it fitted. He has a contact that will do it for a very reasonable price.