ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5th Gear - very poor

Just seen the review: 182 -v- CTR.

Can you really base a decent view of a car on a sub 1-minute lap track? Or say one is better than the other due to a .002 second difference around said track?

Thought the methodology was very poor - totally ignoring the large price difference, the spec difference, the possiblity of buying one cheaper, the Cup being cheaper again etc etc. Plus, shouldnt they be comparing sothing like a Lupo GTi or Mini Cooper S to the Clio, in size terms?

Ive lots of respect for the CTR and think shifts incredibly. It was the only car that gave me hassle in my (tuned) Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo - and that was in "death gear" - aka 4th, when full boost and 2WD really helps! Left lots of Leon Cupras and an Audi A3 3.2 in the Fiat - but not so easily the one CTR I came up against. Took a few seconds longer lol!

So yes, quick in a straight line, but every other review puts the 172/182 ahead in the handling department.

Anyway, it just riles me that some people will see that and think its a quality review!

R

rich[182]

it was crap, prisoner cell block H would have been more entertaining

Astra VXR 17/05/07

I cant bring myself to get the hump over this :confused:

The same way i wouldnt of been dancing in the streets had the Clio won by 2/10s :confused:

Its only a Tv programme...calm down dear :D

the vtec always did get better reviews on top gear, i think the comparison is a bit unfair though, but then again everyone says it punches above its weight so what do you expect

Suzuki SV1000S

I thought it was great. Well shows us mk1 owners that weight really is important. 182 def. looked better though IMO

182cup

A bit of water on the last bend which he fcuked up didnt see any water coming off the civics tyres as he drifted it gracefully round the bend

172, Tiguan

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 09 May 2005
i think a "proper cup" would have done the business, dont you agree Mr Richardson?

/y0z

Seconded Mr Hughes.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 10 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 09 May 2005i think a "proper cup" would have done the business, dont you agree Mr Richardson?

/y0z

Seconded Mr Hughes.

Which is why there are so few standard ones around. lol

Clio 200 Cup

I dont really think its anything to get upset about boys!! However, I find it hard to believe Tiff thought the steering was the best out of any hot hatch??? The CTR is renound for its vague, lifeless steering. I dont believe those 2 last corner shots could have been part of the "hot" laps either. Surely Tiff wouldnt get completely sideways like that when trying to set the fastest lap time possible. I could have jogged through that corner faster than he slid those 2 cars through!

who the fcuk cares!! if the clio hasd won all of you would be going on and on about it saying what an amazing car etc. big fking whoop.

ST

Quote: Originally posted by m4rk on 10 May 2005

who the fcuk cares!! if the clio hasd won all of you would be going on and on about it saying what an amazing car etc. big fking whoop.
I must say i agree with you mate...best get ya Nomex clothing on as were gonna get burned!

Impreza Turbo

missed it, by the sounds of it i had a lucky escape.

does it really matter what the program though anyway, we love the 182 whether its the cup version or not. The CTR is an eye catcher, but not as eye catching as the 182 :D

172 cup

I watched it and thought it was a very poor test on a very poor programme. Top Gear kicks ass but 5th gear is just awful. Tiff gets a boner over the CTR cos theyre aimed at his age group. lol.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

yeah who gives a dam what the tv says anyway....in the end the day the 182 is better looking and the civic is common as sh*t

tiff needel just wants to slide everything anyway.......not a quick driver when doing tests....top gear is much better in my opinion

Well done Type R, may the better car win!!
Ahh got that out the way. Now, 2/10s of a second is naff all but was enough to let it win the race, but in reality - on the road with just me an you driving it is not gonna make a blind bit of difference. Now the civic was slightly quicker to the first corner, which means its a bit quicker off the line possibly, but after that it was a nec and nec race, the civic was flater in the corners and neater and the clio looked hard to tame but pulled the distance back on exiting the corners other than that what more can be said? Well, yes the track did look a little wet on the last corner for the clio, it looked like the tyres were spinning in the understeer on the wet tarmac but other than that i thought it was fair and im happy with the result of the race, after all, it was said that both cars had beaten the times of the focus RS and the Porche, im sure the owners of those cars have something to say about that!!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Both the ctr and 182 are faster than the focus RS!
As said before the 182 is in a smaller class of car, and the lap times are too short!

Clio V6 255

Dont worry guys. The Clio Trophy will be along next month and the Honda shopping trolley wont see which way it went. It will be the ULTIMATE Clio 2.0. Enjoy.