ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6.5" Componants In a clio - Pics (56k no)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, Been a few threads regarding this lately, So i thought I'd give a little in sight into how it can be done. Not the only way, But quite easy.

PLEASE NOTE: This method requires cutting the stock door card. It is in an un-noticeable way, But you will not be able to go back to the stock speakers. IF you do not want to modify your door cards, I suggest you press the back button and look at building some pods :)

Tools I used:

Flat Head Screw Driver (-)
Philips Scew Driver (+)
T20 Torque Bit
T25 Torque Bit
Drill
Jigsaw
Hacksaw

I knew how to take the doorcard off anyway, But there is an excellent guide here on Fubarnet if you are unsure!

The idea of this is to mount the speaker to an MDF Baffle to the metal door frame and cut any excess plastic that obstructs this from the door card. You can make the baffles out of MDF , But I bought some from Ebay China for £2. Not perfect or "CNC MAchined" as the advert said, But they work.

Anyway pics:

Getting Started:

DSC01882.gif

Take out the speaker:

DSC01884.gif

Stripped Door:

DSC01885.jpg

MDF Baffle:

DSC01881.gif

The 6.5" Woofer:

DSC01888.gif

The idea here is to secure the mdf ring to the inner door skin by drilling and screwing it to the door. I put no more nails down before hand to keep it mounted to the door whilst i screwed it down, Whe ndone you will have something that looks like this:

DSC01889.gif

The mount the speaker to the MDF ring:

DSC01890.gif

Modify the door card with a jigsaw/hacksaw so it goes from this:

DSC01886.gif

To this:

DSC01887.gif

Fit the door card back on:

DSC01891.gif

Pop the cover on and your done:

DSC01892.gif

6.5" Componants in a clio door, Took less than an hour to do both sides :)

Much improved mid bass :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
nice guide mate, sound good yeah?

how would a set of 6.5" sound amped without a sub as i dont really want to add the weight of a sub but the standard speakers sound w**k! lol

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
they will be going in as soon as i find some material to match, thats the only thing i dont like about them

looks good mate, similar to how i had mine, did you just screw the baffels onto the door panel, whats there as i cant rember?

1.6 focus zetec....
^^ I can tell lol..

Looks easy but effective at the same time... I'd never have thought of it lol but hey ho

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Good guide there pal,an i like the fact uv just put the standard covers back on instead of having the speakers on show

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I was thinking about that John, They could be mounted in the doors, But I wouldnt sell a car as standard if it had hacked door cards.

I'm hoping to sell this car with all the ice, I think my next car will be to ofast for ICE ;) :p

172 (sold), Elise,
Like the look of this - how bassy does it sound? I'm trying to avoid carrying a sub - is this coupled with some tweeters a good compromise?

172 Cup R.I.P
on mine the windows come down behind the opening for the speakers, i don't understand how you did this with out causing problems?

RSC 182 Cup
dragging up an old thread but any idea what the max mounting depth can go to for a 6.5 inch speaker

6.5" Focal Polyglass V2's (standard depth items- not the slim model) will fit in without cutting the rear water splash guards out. You just need to make a spacer up and reshape the water splash guard a bit with a heat gun. Stock grilles will also fit back on with some small mods.

Can you use the original built in crossovers if you buy a set of componenets or would you be better off using the ones with the new speakers (although much more of a pain to fit). Also someone mentioned you could buy plastic front speaker adaptors but i cant find any, they are only listed for the rear, have you got a link? Thanks

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Can you use the original built in crossovers if you buy a set of componenets or would you be better off using the ones with the new speakers (although much more of a pain to fit). Also someone mentioned you could buy plastic front speaker adaptors but i cant find any, they are only listed for the rear, have you got a link? Thanks
There are no original built-in crossovers as such. The speakers can only handle certain frequencies.

A set of components will (well.. should) come with crossovers specific to the speakers as well.

Thanks for the quick response, i'm assuming as the originals had a seperate tweeter etc it would be ok to buy a set of components and not use the crossovers that come with them?

no you must use the crossovers,the originals just have built in filters,your speakers will last less than a week without crossovers fitted unless you buy aftermarket speakers which have built in filters

e.g alpine 1750s
pioneer q-171c

Monaco 172 (02)
I have a set of Infinity components, and JBL components both 16.5cm.
Now this guide does show how to get the speakers in the front, but what about the tweeters?!
I took the grill off the dashboard last night and the tweeters look difficult to fit. I guess I'd be wasting my time keeping the originals in.?

What about the rears, is there anyway of getting 16.5cm's in the rear speakers?!

I read somewhere that the standard 172 headunits are pretty decent with 4x40w outputs. Is it OK to keep the standard headunit or is it a waste of time. I have a Sony to go in if needs be but I prefer standard.

Thanks for any advice! :) and sorry if its a question asked too much!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Now this guide does show how to get the speakers in the front, but what about the tweeters?!
I took the grill off the dashboard last night and the tweeters look difficult to fit. I guess I'd be wasting my time keeping the originals in.?

What about the rears, is there anyway of getting 16.5cm's in the rear speakers?!

I read somewhere that the standard 172 headunits are pretty decent with 4x40w outputs. Is it OK to keep the standard headunit or is it a waste of time. I have a Sony to go in if needs be but I prefer standard.

With my tweeters, I cut a hole in the tweeter grille and pushed mine on top. Obviously had the dash off so I could route the cable down to the crossover but it's not that much of a task.

They are easy to remove with the dash of and it's the only way to do it.

remove the dashtop in order to change them and then dremmel/cut/file the tweeter holes big enough to mount yours in.

rear speakers,nothing is impossible but it wouldnt be worth it in the rear.

the cabasse unit is ok but the standard tuner or update list is poor,change it but the sony wont be brilliant

Monaco 172 (02)
Well I can't be arsed taking the dash off, and I know the components will sound awful without the crossovers and tweeters in so I may leave it for a while.

Thanks for the advice!

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Well I can't be arsed taking the dash off, and I know the components will sound awful without the crossovers and tweeters in so I may leave it for a while.

Thanks for the advice!
Think a lot of people would advise against it, but could just replace the fronts with coaxials...? That way the standard tweeter will still work and you'll get the full range through the door speaker.

Don't think it'd sound great but better than standard at least...

Monaco 172 (02)
I also have JBL GTO series 16.5 coax'
Now I know these are literally just better than standard but should give me a slightly better sound shouldn't they?

OR another option is to fit the Tweeter of the component to the face of the door card, housing the crossover unit in the door (somewhere) They are designed to be fitted through a door card and would look almost like factory fit. But it may put people off when I come to resell.