ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6.5" in the doors

Clio 172 Exclusive
Is it possible to replace the standard speaker unit with a 6.5. Does involve a lot of cutting and shutting and also is it worth it in the long run. If it is fairly easy would save me quite a bit on changing them for 5.25s
Thanks Flatto

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'll have my 6.5" speakers fitted tomorrow if you want to wait on the pics & verdict? :approve: ;)

Clio 172 Exclusive
Yes please any info that saves me time and mistakes would be good.
What are you fitting? Not having paid any attention to car audio products for a couple of years I'm a little bit out of the loop on knowing whats good and whats not.
Thanks Flatto

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I nearly went down the road of having the inner door removed, and replaced with an MDF enclosure for 17cm drivers... Had a good think before I did thankfully. That would've been a lot of money gone.

I done it just made a small mdf ring that would fix onto the orginal mountain points cut as much of the middle out as i could then made up some mdf speakers rings that fitted the biger speakers glue and screwed it all together carpeted it and this is what i ended up with :D

Attachments

• DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 102
  "Navy" N17 TWO
:eek: You put 6.5" in your rear??? :rolleyes: You naughty boy!

Each to their own but why have better speakers BEHIND YOU ?

Here's mine so-far, not quite finished as I needed the car back for work;

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0321.jpg

Clio 172 Exclusive
This looks supperb!!! I take it you will be putting the tweeters in the original position. Does this effect sound stage? I was always lead to believe that you should have the tweeter as close to the woofers as possible. Please let me knows how the foacls sound I was thinking of some JL Audio zr525csi, any input on others would be good.
Thanks Flatto

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Very nice mate, I like it.

I did it when I was young and foolish! Id bought them for my corsa and only used them for 3 months- £90 Pioneer Emotions so didnt want them to go to waste. Only had them on when I had folk in the back and my infinty comps in the front were much better anyway!

Here's mine so-far, not quite finished as I needed the car back for work;

DSCF0313.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0321.jpg

Very Very Naughty...liking it loads..:approve:

"Navy" N17 TWO
This looks supperb!!! I take it you will be putting the tweeters in the original position. Does this effect sound stage? I was always lead to believe that you should have the tweeter as close to the woofers as possible. Please let me knows how the foacls sound I was thinking of some JL Audio zr525csi, any input on others would be good.
Thanks Flatto

I just got it finished off yesterday - the tweeters are mounted in the A-pillars to "lift" and improve the soundstage (further enhancing an awesome set of comps)

The Focal gear is excellent - never dissapointed yet :approve:

My doors don't even rattle now as the pods are holding the bass better - in my books that IS an achievement for a Clio :clown:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Wow. Very nice install there!!

Who did the work?? How much?? Looks like that could be £250 fitting ??

I was tempted by this recently.. Do the bass drivers have MDF enclosures?? As this was what was planned for mine. With the offset from the door, does it get in the way of your leg ???

This is making me want to get my car done more and more....

"Navy" N17 TWO

I was tempted by this recently.. Do the bass drivers have MDF enclosures?? As this was what was planned for mine. With the offset from the door, does it get in the way of your leg ???

£250 :rofl: - I wish!

The doorcards are retrimed in black vinyl & cloth part done in charcoal alcantara - soon to have the rear cards & dash done to match :approve:

Speaker pods are fibreglassed over an MDF ring

The offset doesn't get in the way when the door is closed

Audio Advice did the work - they are in N.Ireland and are winning competitions all over Europe with their Reno 19 16v :star:

www.audioadvice.co.uk

BMW M4; S1000 RR

£250 :rofl: - I wish!

The doorcards are retrimed in black vinyl & cloth part done in charcoal alcantara - soon to have the rear cards & dash done to match :approve:

Speaker pods are fibreglassed over an MDF ring

The offset doesn't get in the way when the door is closed

Audio Advice did the work - they are in N.Ireland and are winning competitions all over Europe with their Reno 19 16v :star:

www.audioadvice.co.uk

Nice.

£250 was the ball-park figure I was given (not including material, wires.. just labour really)..

So it was more huh...

I am still very tempted, but I'm being tempted by other cars too, think I'll leave it as it is.

Very nice door install all the same. Gorgeous infact.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Not exactly sure what labour & materials would be to be honest - a few things need tidying up on the front still

Clio 172 Exclusive
Thanks for the info on the focals Tigger, just out of interest how much of of an offset have you put on these? Did this have a big effect getting these more on axis than the standard fit.
Sorry to ask so many questions but I have got the ICE bug back after 5 years after having built the last system and having just bought a 172 exclusive so its the perfect time to get going again.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm not sure what measurements were used to be honest as I din't do the fabrication myself, I can try & find out though

Clio 172 Exclusive
Dont worry to much Tigger I think its time to have play and find out but thanks for the offer
Flatto