ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6000 mile update

well, after doing the rag it to death run in (first 25 miles) as suggested in various places on the net, thought it may be worth updating on progress with the car so far.

took delivery with 2 miles on the clock, delivered on a transporter. did the "text book" rag it to death run in period steady til warm for the first 5 miles, then on the M62 and redlined in every gear except top, letting the engine do the braking. 4 or five blasts of this then onto a roads doing little revs as possible to let the engine cool under normal usage then home and let it cool totally..

anyway rest of run in was done throughout the rev range with not too much ragging although i wasnt careful... at around 1500 miles the 5000 rpm kick was much more noticeable than VTEC in my 02 CTR and it continues to impress. had an oil change at 1k to clean out the running in stuff... still on Elf 10w/40 performance ST and have just had another oil change at 6K today.. one really noticeable thing is that the car has used virtually no OIL and it has been pushed to the limit (gonna need new front tyres soon if that helps guage the driving its been subjected to). This suggests that the running in experiment did work well. a fair amount of oil can be lost through blow by and piston rings that dont sit fully flush and the whole aim of the hard run in is to eliminate this.. ive done a fair few motorway miles and have yet to reset the MPG meter which currently stands at 33.8 mpg which leaves me totally amazed and again suggests the run in was succesful.

only my opinion but i thought id post this after passing a brand new 182 yesterday doing a steady 40 mph on a national speed limit road. suppose its important to remember that if you dont do this hard run in in the first 25-30 miles then it may have adverse effects like glazing of the cylinder

is this advised then?

As i will get my clio mid september, i was going to drive it easy, but after your opinion, its made me think twice now!

Clio 197

I did a very gentle run-in in my 182.
My first 650 miles were done in two journeys: stuck to 60 mph on cruise.
I then started to open it up (where poss).
Oil and filter at 6000 miles (10w40 magnatec).
Mostly motorway miles.

Used 1 litre of oil in 6000 miles (after first oil & filter change). Thats v.poor IMO, BUT Fuel Economy was V Good... Im a but confused about that.

My MEG was Ex demo, and ragged for 1500 miles. Not used any oil yet (done 5k)... BUT Economys crap! (again, confused about that).

Quote: Originally posted by stuartturrell on 15 August 2004

is this advised then?
As i will get my clio mid september, i was going to drive it easy, but after your opinion, its made me think twice now!
That idea of a hard bed in in the first 25 miles when the engine is warm is the recomended idea best do a search its always comming up.

Its the best way to bed in the engine for power an economy and not to burn oil.

how long would you say i would have to wait for the oil to be at the best temperature?

From a cold standing?

[Edited by stuartturrell on 16 August 2004 at 10:55am]