ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

!6v G/box

Audi S3

well having suspisions that my gearbox is broken i tock it to renault to get it confirmed and well its propper f**ked!

anyway thaught id get a price while i was there! they want 395 + vat for a reconditioned box and £600 in labour to fit it!

so that over £1000 for a fitted recon box and i have exactly 13p! sh*t

buy the box then put it in!!!!!!!!

600 quid!

im sure chris H will drive down for that! hahaha

Audi S3

yea its drivable just! but makes some horrible noises!

Dunno what im going to do about it yet need some money first! but i know that Renault aint going to be involved at any point

the 550 quid is a willy box from renault. That was when I last checked abotu 2 years back.

And yeah for 600 noter I will drive down and even do your dishes!

What is actually wrong with the box? It makes noises and its proper fecked doesnt constitute a reasonable description.

i brought a new willy 1 from renault bout 5 months ago cost me £520

had it fitted to my valver at a local garage with new clutch and o/s driveshaft

£1087

but the gearbox is guarenteed for 1year which is good

Audi S3

Ok then Chris here it is! its hard to get into 1st and 2nd, wont go in 3rd pops out as soon as u touch accel pedal and crunches into 5th and occasionally pops out unless u hold it in!

also while accelerating in 1st & 2nd it make a horrible rattley noise.

proper fecked then! lol

Does the box chatter at idle?

Also the the fact its hard to get into the 1,3,5th gears would suggest the linkage may have been moved which also puts straing on the hubs which may have caused the wear. How much oil is in it?

Audi S3

proper f**ked lol!

no its fine at idle! there is a oil smell but dunno how much oil there is in it not looked

well if it doesnt chatter at idle mate or when you turn off it cant be that bad.

Check the oil level in it then the adjustment of the linkage.

I have sorted many apparently terminal cases by looking at these things.

The Willy box has the same ratios as the 16V box - apart from 5th, which is longer. The Willy also has a strengthened case and better bearings.

really when did this magical strengthening of the casing and bearings take place? When the boxes were shipped to mars to be tuned?

The casings and bearings are the same on a 1.1 OHV renault 5 to a GTT, 16V diesel whatever. The synchro rings and hubs are the sames, as are the shafts, as are the selectors and forks, as are the diff sunwheels and so on, only diff is the ratios thats it.

Audi S3

Ok then Chris had a look and the linkage is fine as far as i can tell! but there is a lot of oil arround it and on the box its self which im guessing is gearbox oil as the engine oil is at the level it should be.

couldent check the gearbox oil level as i couldnt get the screw out of the side of it!

Chris: AFAIK, the Willy box has a stronger casing, bigger gears, different bearings and does have a larger diameter secondary shaft. The Willys diff has the same 4.06:1 overall crownwheel and pinion ratio of the 16V, but gets a slightly taller 5th gear.

well get some oil in then. Halfords etc do the 1 litre bottles for about 8 quid but they have the nice pull out filler thing.

A factors will sell you a gallon for 8 quid but you need to pour it into the box.

My highly technical method is a chopped coke bottle with a length of hosing.

You fill it till the oil pours out.

Audi S3

well i got hold of a pair of pliers and got the plug off! looks like i was wrong on the gearbox oil level as a small amount poored out.

Audi S3

It was clear like honey when i put my finger in to check! but the stuff that dribbled out onto the newspaper was dark and dirty

ah well new box then. Dunno what the hells wrong with it. If its mercury/silvery then it means theres damage but if its like new engine oil the oisl fine and no chunk or anythign have broken off inside.