ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

80 in 3rd in a cup-cant get more !!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Cuppy 172 on 11 November 2003

Should be looking at over 100 mate, your car is fcuked
Not on your life...

The Cup (or mk2 172) will do 89.9mph @ 7250rpm limiter in 3rd gear, no matter how much power it has!

soz about being a few mph out, its ages since Ive driven a 172 with a standard ecu - actually its a long time since Ive really driven a 172 at all lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Klang1.6 on 11 November 2003

IF I CAN ONLY GET 80 WHAT CUD BE WRONG
Well is it revving all the way round to 7250rpm or is the limiter cutting in early???

Just that 80mph in 3rd is at 6500rpm which is when the limiter kicks in if the car is not fully warmed up, so I reckon thats your problem!

E36 323i coupe

I think that the good Cup/ bad Cup debate is about to start again.

I have done the suggested run-in period of 625miles in my 53plate Cup, and since then have stretched her legs a bit, and I can get well over 90 in third gear.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jon1978 on 11 November 2003

I think that the good Cup/ bad Cup debate is about to start again.
Not really...

They all have the same gear ratios and (unless modded) they also have the same rev limit, so you can only go so fast in each gear no matter how much power you have!

Quote:

I have done the suggested run-in period of 625miles in my 53plate Cup, and since then have stretched her legs a bit, and I can get well over 90 in third gear.
Dont forget that there is always (no matter how small) an element of speedo error and this can (& does) vary between cars, so what you see as an "indicated" 90mph in your car may not actually be a "real" 90mph and its only going to go as fast as the revs/gearing will allow...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by pete on 11 November 2003

On the q_mile a pod I was just changing into 4th at 89mph just a few yards from the finish and mine R-lines at 6800:confused:
Pete, I know you said your redline marks on the rev counter were lower than on my Cup when we were at pod, but does it not still rev to 7250rpm?!

Quote: Originally posted by Chris nnic on 11 November 2003

Im in the same boat. just have to change b4 the end...but at about 95mph;)

Same with me Chris, I thought with the higher limit I would be able to cross the line in third but you have to still change into 4th near the line.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Firstly, are you letting your car warm up enough before you do it? Most people here will tell you that the car is limited to 6750 rpm (from memory) until the engine oil reaches a safe temperature. After this point you have the use of 7250 rpm.

If your car only does 80 mph in 3rd gear, but still revs right round to 7250 rpm then 1 of two things is wrong.

1) Your speedo is wildy inaccurate and probably illegal with such a huge margin of error.

2) Your final drive ratio has somehow been altered.

In both cases you need to speak to your dealer, although showing your dealer a problem that occurs above the speed limit is something of a gray area.

silver valver/hybrid

ah, the v6 has 6 gears though, so the ratios will be different, i could get 85 mph in my 1.0 litre micra in third but it only had 4 gears!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by broadbean on 12 November 2003

My old mk1 v6 chipped would do 90 in third,so i find it hard to believe that the 172 and cup doed this aswell,cheers
Its true mate, and the mk1 can go marginally faster in gear due to longer gearing...

The V6 has closer ratios being a 6-speed box, so cant go as fast in gear and I know a CTR wont hit 60mph in 2nd gear as another example of close 6-speed gearing. However, this aint true of all 6-speed cars and my old 306 Rallye would do almost 70mph in 2nd gear!!!

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 12 November 2003

The V6 has closer ratios being a 6-speed box, so cant go as fast in gear and I know a CTR wont hit 60mph in 2nd gear as another example of close 6-speed gearing.
Not even if you use all 9,000 revs? That 2nd gear must be short then!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 12 November 2003

Not even if you use all 9,000 revs? That 2nd gear must be short then!
Yeah, they are very close ratiod but they dont rev that high as standard...

Going to go nick my brothers CTR and see exactly what it will do in 2nd!

Racing him the other day in my 172 (wet conditions) the 172 pulled away nicely upto 60 as a result of better traction, then the CTR started to pull away after about 70. Its a nice car to drive!