ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

9 - 3 Wheel movement Track rod end?

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

Had a bit of a knock when at low speed going over big bumps so decided to take a look today. Both front wheels off the ground I've got some play in the passenger side wheel in the 9-3 position.

I checked all of the relevant bolts and bushings around that area and all seems tight. I removed the bolt from the Track rod end to find the threads had been completely stripped. Like its been overtightened!

I couldn’t easily get the TRE out to inspect it and didn’t want to mess with it as I needed to limp the car home after. Obviously this needs replacing anyway but is this likely the cause of the 9-3 wobble? I have read it could also be a CV joint or driveshaft.

Rough cost of getting it replaced at a garage?

Thanks

Attachments

• D458A97A-E45F-430B-945B-F5A26C68799D.jpeg
    D458A97A-E45F-430B-945B-F5A26C68799D.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 97
Could also be a wheel bearing as well as the TRE with that much wobble.. That normally comes with a speed related droning as well though.

Changing the TRE is a piece of piss mate, just unthread the old one and thread the new and bolt it back up. No need for a garage.

You'll need alignment after though.

Last edited:

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Inner tre?

What makes you say inner? I couldn't check the inner as like I said I the TRE didnt want to separate from the hub and I didn’t want to force it with no guarantee of getting it back on with that thread. If the inner is fooked I guess it will feel very loose when I remove the outer TRE from the hub?

New TRE ordered from renault with part numbers from RPD - 7701474492 and 7701474493 - hopefully correct.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
No droning noise to speak of and the wobble is always at 9 -3, no movement at 12 - 6 so would that eliminate wheel bearing?

I do have spacers on which I know are not good for bearings.

No droning noise to speak of and the wobble is always at 9 -3, no movement at 12 - 6 so would that eliminate wheel bearing?

I do have spacers on which I know are not good for bearings.
Just change the TRE and take it from there. If it's still wobbly have other components checked.

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
see if the tie rods move at the same time. But be sure the steering wheel isn't moving whilst doing this as well. If the tie bar move's it could be the tie bars are shot

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
see if the tie rods move at the same time. But be sure the steering wheel isn't moving whilst doing this as well. If the tie bar move's it could be the tie bars are shot

So to test the inner, if I jack up both sides, drop the TRE out of the hub, get someone to hold the wheel and push/pull the track rod in and out and feel for movement?

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So to test the inner, if I jack up both sides, drop the TRE out of the hub, get someone to hold the wheel and push/pull the track rod in and out and feel for movement?
You can leave the wheel on and do what you are doing. If your tre has play it will only move on that. If the tie bar moves as well it's probably best to change both the tie bars and tre's

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Changed the track rod ends for genuine renault ones today, seems to have sorted the wobble and the noise. The TRE on the passenger side did have a fair bit of play in it. Had to cut the drivers side off in the end!

Correct part numbers are 7701474492 and 7701474493 if anyone is looking

Attachments

• 1AE63E3E-DC18-4206-ADBD-6D8753C8D275.jpeg
    1AE63E3E-DC18-4206-ADBD-6D8753C8D275.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 111