ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A few snaps from Hong Kong

Another trip - this time to Hong Kong. I've always wanted to go here, I hear it's an amazing place, and I certainly wasn't disappointed!!

It was a very short trip, I landed in HK at 5pm on Sunday, and I was on the plane again at midnight on Tuesday! But Im going back in a few weeks :cool:

As always, just quick snaps, apart from on the Peak where I spent a bit more time thinking about the shots ;)

1. A few of the hotel, amazing place. Only just been built, and not too expensive yet either.
DSC_2362.jpg

DSC_2369.jpg

DSC_2528.jpg

4. At the restaurant in the hotel, now this was expensive! Total meal was £90ish. (on expenses ;))
DSC_2357.jpg

5. On my one free evening, I walked around Central for a bit, and ended up here:
DSC_2393.jpg

This is well known in HK as a good place to get camera gear, so I thought I'd have a look ;)

A few places had a new lens I was after, the 16-35mm f/4 VR (FX). So here was a test shot in the shop. They were really friendly people, no bulls**t and weren't pestering me for the sale, you could tell they were photographers, not salesmen!
It didn't take much persuading, as I bought it there and then. Got it for about £150 cheaper than I could get it here.
So I chucked my 24-70mm in my bag and walked around with this lens on, so all pics from now are with this lens :)

DSC_2398.jpg

DSC_2401.jpg

DSC_2405.jpg

DSC_2410.jpg

10. Wide!!
DSC_2415.jpg

11. Then I walked to a 'must do' thing in HK, the Peak tram :)
DSC_2419.jpg

12. Typical shots from the Peak
DSC_2486.jpg

DSC_2493.jpg

DSC_2502.jpg

15. Chinese resturant back at the hotel :)
DSC_2517.jpg

16. A 'messing around' shot as I was waiting to be met at the airport (where I was working)
DSC_2536.jpg

That's about it really :( I might have a few more, but I don't think they are very exciting.
So as usual, I didn't have much time for 'sight seeing', but that's always the way for me. I WILL get some better ones next time Im there though, I've already worked out where I want to go :)

As for the new lens, VERY impressed!! It's pretty wide, and very sharp too! Some reviews are saying its sharper than the 14-24mm!
The VR is great, all the shots in here were hand held (apart from leaning on a ledge for the Peak shots), so combine that with awesome ISO performance of the D3 and you have a winner!

PS. Before anyone says it, the Peak shots are NOT HDR! I usually can't stand HDR, so I just blended a few different exposures for different parts of the images.

Love them. Hotel looks ace.

The first peaks shot is incredible. I'd personally have cropped a bit of the black off from the top, but I'd love to have that on my wall.

E87 118d M Sport
Pic 12 is sweet dan! Whats it like going somewhere like that on your own (or was it more than just you this time round?)

Pic 12 is sweet dan! Whats it like going somewhere like that on your own (or was it more than just you this time round?)

lol, I go everywhere on my own! If im being honest, I felt absolutely fine, the people there were really nice and friendly.
Walking around the centre of Hong Kong with my D3 felt fine, as there loads of people had SLR cameras so I didnt really stand out too much. Bit different when I was in Tanzania!

E87 118d M Sport
yeah thats what i was thinking. wondered if you had the whole:

"HI IM NOT FROM ROUND HERE AND HAVE A MEGAEXPENSIVE CAMERA ROUND MY NECK"

kinda feeling, altho your right, maybe not here. you probably blended right in.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Stunning stuff!

I can't get my head around how you've managed to get the peak shots.
You've even managed to make the tram queue look nice!

phase 1 Clio 172
Gotta love hong kong! My wifes from hong kong and we go out there at least once a year. Have you just got back? How much was your ticket, who did you fly with? Love the pictures, did you go over to kowloon?

Thanks Marky.

For the Peak shots I did exposure bracketing, and blended the shots together.

Ian: I flew with KLM via Amsterdam. The return ticket was about £750 I think.
Didn't have time to get across to Kowloon, I will when I go back though as I want a nice cityscape shot from that side :)

lol Andy - certainly did. Only need a few more thousand for next level up. Only ivory level at the moment :)

I had another go at the hotel shots as I didnt like my first attempt.

DSC_2361.jpg

DSC_2372.jpg

Oh....just checking into CS while in the lounge ;)

DSC_2521.jpg

And yes I was drinking water! That was free, but beer was like £7 a bottle!

Cupra
I have a nice collection of all the card levels with my name on, just a shame that they are not actually valid!

Any problems with FB, give me a shout. Their helpdesk is next door to my office. :D

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Those shots are utterly amazing. Your a braver man than me i would never want to go anywhere on my own!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
very nice buddy get that peak shot done as a poster print from photobox, i think its only like £17.82 for an 30"x20" meaning you can get two 10"x 30" panoramic prints one the one print. i have done the same and have this one sitting on my wall

hkweb.jpg

did you go near the space museum,i got my first digital camera from a shop right on the corner there :approve:.

great stuff as always buddy