ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Monaco Blue 2002 Clio 172

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Regards wipers.

I’ve never had any issues removing arms (and I work in a garage) and never use removal tools. All you need to do is take the nut off, grab the wiper arm on its solid part and push down and up on the arm towards and away from the windscreen. That frees it from its grip as they’re tapered.

You’ve also got to think the spring of the arm itself is helping to hold the arm on the post so I kind of grip them with my right hand on the solid part and kind lift the sprung part away from the screen (as this puts an angle pressure on the post) with the part of my grip near my little finger too.

You could effectively break the seal between the two and still struggle to lift them off straight (as the arm spring puts an angle on the taper fit and locks it on) so lift the sprung part off the screen and they release their grip.

If they ever look really rusty a squirt of wd40 and the same process.

Many
Hi there, i have juste created an account to reply to this post.
I'm from France, few weeks ago i've made a shop done a timing belt service on my recently acquiered clio rs2 172hp.
Turns out the car ran like crap at idle, just as shown in your video few pages ago. (btw im the guy commenting the vid on youtube)

Thanks to the orginal poster and all the people participating to this topic, i've been able to sort out why the car ran that bad and to make the shop re-check the timing, wich they did, and found out that they messed it up.
Now it has been properly timed and it run way better !
Thank you alot, if someone here in the future is looking for an idle problem after timing belt service, ths is another proof/clue/testimony you can have about how bad timing could cause issu at idle !

Apologize for my hasardous english :)

Cheers from france !

SiC

ClioSport Club Member
Hi there, i have juste created an account to reply to this post.
I'm from France, few weeks ago i've made a shop done a timing belt service on my recently acquiered clio rs2 172hp.
Turns out the car ran like crap at idle, just as shown in your video few pages ago. (btw im the guy commenting the vid on youtube)

Thanks to the orginal poster and all the people participating to this topic, i've been able to sort out why the car ran that bad and to make the shop re-check the timing, wich they did, and found out that they messed it up.
Now it has been properly timed and it run way better !
Thank you alot, if someone here in the future is looking for an idle problem after timing belt service, ths is another proof/clue/testimony you can have about how bad timing could cause issu at idle !

Apologize for my hasardous english :)

Cheers from france !

No worries glad it helped!

Even though float cam timing is a common thing nowadays and used on many other cars, the Clio seems to be a bit more awkward.

The biggest issue I think is that the cams naturally want to move out of place significantly if the lock tool isn't in. You have to fight the valve springs a fair bit to get that tool in. So this tensions up the belt to a certain degree and as soon as the tool is removed, the position can move slightly if the sprockets aren't tightened sufficiently. This is made even worse if the tensioner isn't set correct, the belt isn't quite put into place properly or the dephaser is worn with play. Also you get a bit of natural twisting through the cam too.

I wonder if some of this was made worse by a reasonably humdrum being quite a highly tuned with lary cams. Leading to a compromise on the crank+cam locking positions without making too many other modifications.