ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Sentimental Story ..

Abarth 595 Trufeo

As many of you know, I was the very proud owner of a MK1 Odyssey Blue 172 -

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076241716__IMG_0261.jpg

I had it from new and it was one of the first non Titanium 172s in the country - it introduced me to the forum and the club and spent many a day at meets up & down the country. The first meet we ever went to was a very cold January night in Southend 2001 - there was only about 15 cars there - a big difference to todays meets of 100 plus cars... It was the first time we met Jas, James (dash) etc..

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076242616__pic11.jpg

If it wasnt for that car I wouldnt have made some really good friends through here.

Infact I LOVED that car, so much that when 3 years later I decided to get a new car, & I bought myself a new Flame Red Mk2.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076243796__5.jpg

I couldnt bear to part with the MK1 - so we kept it in the family and Mcshug took ownership.

Now the MK1 is 3 1/2 years old and has just rolled over 20k miles.
Things are starting to wear out or go wrong and Mcshug has decided he wants a newer car.

It will be a sad day next week when we say goodbye to the MK1 and say hello to a MK2 172 Cup.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076243890__cup1.jpg

If only we had the money and resources - I would keep the car and hopefully one day - it might become a collectors classic like the Williams but alas I dont.

So if you see a Odyssey blue MK1 172 out and about on your travels please give her a little toot and wave.

Does anyone else feel this like this about their car?

Or am I just a sad case?

H

Renault Laguna Coupe

I doubt Ill ever get rid of mine - when the time comes for the next car Im sure its trade-in value will be pretty insignificant. Just need somewhere to keep it :confused:

172 Cup, Caterham R300

Watcha tomboy, weve got a cup and a red mk2 in the family.
Good combination I reckon!
:D

ff 182

bloody hell you sound like Ben h i know wot you mean mate im on my third clio and i want something different next time but knowing my luck ill get another clio.nice car how much you after for the mk1 was looking at getting 1

Feel sorry for you tomboy, its really upsetting sometimes to get rid of a car, i was like it with my williams. It didnt really hit me until i drove off leaving it in the hands of some crazy welshman at a service station. But she had to go as i couldnt afford a cup and the willy. No use trying to get any sympathy out of the bint either coz girls just dont get cars do they?

I dont think I could ever get rid of my Willy! Just been out for a drive with my brothers in the car, in the sun. Kept getting waves and toots from random people!

Even got some nice girlies tooting at us as they drove past :D

If theres a better car with just the right balance of image, ability and cost - so that people dont think youre a dick, like when you drive a Porker or something - Ive yet to find it!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

:eek: 3 and a half years and only 20,000 miles. You need to drive about more ;)

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by Jas on 08 February 2004

:eek: 3 and a half years and only 20,000 miles. You need to drive about more ;)
Its more worrying that things are starting to wear out and go wrong!!!:eek: What chance does poor car stand.:(

Abarth 595 Trufeo

smoothed clio - sorry its off to the dealer as part ex

clio sport - this bint does understand & love her cars

Lee M - I know with such low mileage, Id have hoped it he would of kept it another year or 2 but in the last 6 months we have had to have both rear shocks replaced, new auxillary belt etc - (which Renault did under warranty), one of the front springs (photos available) is knacked so we put eibachs on and now the electric windows are starting to play up - which Ive been told seems to be a weakness with the clios.

He doesnt seem to understand why I am a little upset at letting the car go - he thinks Im a little to emotionally attached to it.
After all its only a car !!?? Yes to him it might be - hes had 5 cars in 4 years, I cant explain it but to me its not ...

H