ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS + ESP Lights (no SERV) - 182 Trophy

182 Trophy
i have searched high and low on this forum and others for an example of the same symptoms, but haven't quite found it yet....

The ABS and ESP lights are both illuminated in my 182 Trophy, from the moment of start-up to the moment of switch off. Just very occasionally, switching the ignition off and switching back on again clears the lights. At no point has the SERV light illuminated, which I understand would likely indicate a sensor fault of some kind.

I have so far (without any change in the symptoms):

- Replaced and reset the brake pedal switch with a brand new item, set so that the brake lights only illuminate after several millimetres of pedal travel
- Replaced the rear discs/bearings/pads/ABS rings and cleaned the ABS sensor heads
- Changed the brake fluid and checked that the level is correct in the reservoir

I potentially have access to CLIP via someone I know but wondered whether anyone has encountered the very same symptoms and what the solution turned out to be? Are these symptoms characteristic of a faulty steering angle sensor perhaps?

If it ends up being an ABS sensor, that's fair enough, but doesn't explain why the SERV light hasn't also illuminated.

182 Trophy
Drove the car again this evening. Pulled over, reset (brand new) brake pedal switch by one click with engine running, turned car off, turned car back on, ABS/ESP lights didn't stay illuminated for a change....until I pulled off, then both light back on. Incidentally, the cruise control works fine.

All very strange and very frustrating. Next step is full CLIP diagnostics I think....

dan's cast offs.
ideally get it plugged in. if you want though under the passengers side behind the brace from the back of the front subframe to the body is a big connector. un plug it and give it a good clean and see if that helps.

182 Trophy
ideally get it plugged in. if you want though under the passengers side behind the brace from the back of the front subframe to the body is a big connector. un plug it and give it a good clean and see if that helps.
Thanks, I'll take a look. I found the two ABS sensor connectors under the passenger side towards the rear but assume you mean a connect further up the car?

I've not come across the g-sensor, so will look into that too.

In any casea, I'm planning to get the car plugged into CLIP on Thursday....so watch this space! My bet is ABS sensor or steering angle sensor.

182 Trophy
Had CLIP on th car last night. The following was indicated, suggesting that an ABS sensor needs replacement (as suspected):

DF027 - rear right hand wheel speed sensor circuit

I assume this is the driver's / off-side on a Clio? Is the connector male or female on the ABS sensors, as both types seem to be available?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I Think Euro Car Parts can supply ATE Sensors cheaper.

Clio 182 Trophy Drivers Side ABS Sensor

Screen Shot 2015-08-29 at 17.27.03.png

182 Trophy
Thanks.

Eurocarparts also do The correct Bosch parts for around £60 each at the rear, so will probably go down that route.

I'd advise going to Renault only for abs sensors. Went to a few different places for a front sensor all giving me the wrong ones

182 Trophy
I'd advise going to Renault only for abs sensors. Went to a few different places for a front sensor all giving me the wrong ones
Thanks for advice, will look into it.
Haven't had a play with the big connector yet but will take a closer look when I get a chance and before I buy a sensor.

182 Trophy
Update - fitted an ATE brand rear right ABS sensor supplied by Eurocarparts (even has the correct Renault part number printed on it but is less than half the price of an OE item!) and the issue seems to have resolved itself for the time being, with no more dash lights.
The chap who fitted the new sensor had to use a drill to get the old one out!!

Good job :up:

This sort of thing is why I think I will always try to stay old-skool, baby! Who needs ABS when one has skillllzz lol

*crosses fingers and hopes he won't crash in winter* :laughing:

Good job :up:

This sort of thing is why I think I will always try to stay old-skool, baby! Who needs ABS when one has skillllzz lol

*crosses fingers and hopes he won't crash in winter* :laughing:
Yep makes me wish it'd bought a cup currently waiting myself for o/s rear axle with abs for the same reason