ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Fault after fitting new discs

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Threw some new rear discs on today and immediately got an ABS fault which won't go away with driving, the code is C1043 which I believe is rear passenger side ABS sensor.

Pulled the disc off again, gave it all a clean and still got it. Also threw the old disc back and cleared the codes incase it was the new ABS ring but same issue.

I guess I've disturbed the ABS sensor and it's borked, or am I missing something obvious?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
You'll have disturbed a sensor and it's thrown the towel in, happened to me when replacing a front spring, new sensor fixed it.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You'll have disturbed a sensor and it's thrown the towel in, happened to me when replacing a front spring, new sensor fixed it.
Cheers, that’s the conclusion I’ve come to. new Sensor ordered last night.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
New sensor fitted, all happy now.

I bought a Bosch sensor rather than Renault, same part (the Renault one says Bosch on it) but £20 cheaper.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Clios are s**t.

As above, fitted the new sensor today and the light cleared itself, the code persisted but I cleared it too.

This evening I've gone for a longer drive and the lights are back, however unlike before where the light would come on as soon as I start driving, the behaviour is now that the car has a strange grind when braking at slow speeds, then once you hit 30mph the abs/lights lights come on and the grinding stops. I also have a different code - C102F, not sure what this is though.

Any ideas?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
What condition are the abs rings?
The rings on the rear discs are new, the brackets the sensor fits in have some surface rust but look decent enough.

I am tempted to swap out the brackets since most things online point to them but I just can't believe they're causing the issue, when people post photos of theirs online they are properly rotten which mine aren't.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Genuine Renault, it's a 200, they don't have a spacer (I really hope they don't, one didn't come off 😂 )

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Might be worth sticking can clip on or suitable diagnostic with live data on to see whats going on. Sensor nice and tight to disc?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Might be worth sticking can clip on or suitable diagnostic with live data on to see whats going on. Sensor nice and tight to disc?
Yeh, I think that is the most sensible route re the diag. I'd like to see some live readings on the sensors, I'm happy to buy a scan tool (been looking at them for a couple of years) but it's just knowing what to buy.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Well mystery solved, kind of.

I noticed a slight imperfection in the ring on the rear drivers side so took it off, all my focus until now had been the other side as that what the original code pointed to.

Pretty shocked to find this:

IMG_1008.jpg

The sensor bracket doesn't look bad though, and the disc was torqued to spec and seemed to spin freely. I can only assume something got caught between the disc and hub, a small stone or something, and caused the damage before vacating the area.

IMG_1009.jpg

Ordered a new ring anyway and will give that bracket a right good clean up too.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Imperfection 😅

Something has properly gouged that.

Definitely wasn't damaged in transit?

It wasn't like that when I got it, I'd have noticed, so it's my fault.

I should be clearer, from the outside it looked like an imperfection:

IMG_1006.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Easy done that. Ive just caught the same type of abs ring when pressing in a wheel bearing on another car and it give the same issues.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye I bought some R26 discs for £40 because the rings were shagged. I bought newrings for £15 and got cheap as chips discs 😂

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Aye I bought some R26 discs for £40 because the rings were shagged. I bought newrings for £15 and got cheap as chips discs 😂

Bought one from eBay yeh.

Guessing yours were new discs, and the seller had just fucked up a bit fitting them like me 😂

306td
As the rings are a series of North and South magnets, there's been a bit of rust or shard of metal on it when you've picked it up to fit it. Always check the rings for foreign matter immediately before fitting.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
As the rings are a series of North and South magnets, there's been a bit of rust or shard of metal on it when you've picked it up to fit it. Always check the rings for foreign matter immediately before fitting.
That makes sense.

All fixed this morning with a new ring, been for a decent drive too and all good. This morning I checked it over and over again to make sure it was all clear 😂