ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Kicking In

I apologise if this is a reeeeeepost, but as 3-letter searches don't work, I can't tell.

The car is due a service, so hopefully they'll pick up on this - had ABS and Service Light on for a while, but i understand this affects a few people.

When I brake to a stop from a sensible pace, just before the car stops, the pedal grinds as the ABS kicks in. There's no reason for it to do so, I'm not slamming anchors on, the roads are dry and not greasy, but it often happens. Wondering if the ABS light being on could actually be due to an ABS problem and not just 'because it's French'. Thoughts?

The lights on for a reason :rasp:

Well I thought that but I've read a lot of posts of people complaining that the ABS and SERV lights are on, but a quick jiggle of the wires under the seat knocks it off.

I tried an emergency stop earlier, from about 20mph and it felt normal, the problem only seems to be from slow speed.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Same happend to me when i was on very poor budget tyres. Since i got rid of them it stopped doing it, so my conclusion is lack of grip?

Evo
Wiggling the wires under the seat is a trick to make the SERV and Airbag light go out.

You tried sticking and OBD reader on it?

The ABS has now failed entirely - wheels just lock up under heavy braking. Will see what Renault think the problem is, then find somewhere to fix it.

The ABS has now failed entirely - wheels just lock up under heavy braking. Will see what Renault think the problem is, then find somewhere to fix it.

Hmm - gets more weird by the minute. At slow speeds <50mph, the lights are not on and the ABS works fine. After going more than 50mph the lights come on and the ABS doesn't work at all.

I'm guessing this is likely to be a sensor / electrical problem, rather than mechanical.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Well itdepends, sometimes the sensor doesnt see it until different speeds! Get it checked out as you said!

Clio 1.2 Billabong
I had a similar problem with mine. It turned out that the outer CV boot clip had come away and was sitting straight over he ABS ring, effecting the signal.

Clio 1.2 Billabong
Oh believe me it wont! I have no idea what a car's supposed to look like underneath ;)

Feel behind the brake disks on your front wheels. If your hand gets covered in horrible thick grease then it is probably the outer clip that has come off the CV boot.

The CV boot (or gaiter) keeps the CV joint surrounded by molly grease, and keeps contamination out. If this grease leaks away or contamination gets in then you risk needing a whole new drive shaft, as the CV joint will start to wear out and possibly seize up.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Think I may have just found out what is up with my mates Clio, he'll be chuffed if it's just the CV boot. Hope you get yours sorted anyway dude.

TT 225
I have EXACTLY the same problem. Braking at low speeds on odd occasions makes the car do this "GUG GUG GUG" sound and the pedal goes really slack and jumps a little. The SERV and ABS lights come on generally when i hit the 60 mark usually on the national before the motorway and then stays on for the duration of the journey.

This happens occasioally as i wouldnt say it does it everytime i go somewhere. Engineers report?

C

cliosportheth

i had the exact same problem twice one me 172,the first one was a cracked/perished abs ring,and the second time was just contamination on the ring.mine also juggered when braking,the pedal went hard and the steering became very very heavy,not nicw thought when a roundybwt was coming up fast,need to get it sorted m8 asap

i had the exact same problem twice one me 172,the first one was a cracked/perished abs ring,and the second time was just contamination on the ring.mine also juggered when braking,the pedal went hard and the steering became very very heavy,not nicw thought when a roundybwt was coming up fast,need to get it sorted m8 asap

Yeah i need to get someone who knows what they're looking for to look at it before trusting a garage to try rip me off ;)

Cheers for all the nods in the right direction guys - both CV boot joints are fine, got the wheels off and found the n/s front ABS ring is indeed cracked. Is this a big / expensive job to get done?

With three letter searches not working, I don't really want to search here for "Fix cracked ring" because I'm slightly scared by what I'll find ;)