ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS ring problem

Clio 182 sport
Hi all,
Car- clio 182 with extreme pack (cup shocks)
I have what can only be described as a scratch sound/feeling during light braking or when coming to a halt. Brakes are fine when applied other than as stated above.
I've heard it has something to do with the width of the front ABS ring. Is that the likely cause?
Can anyone tell me what width my front ABS rings should be? Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Clio 182 sport
a cracked ring would make sense, I'll need to get under the car and have a look.
What happens if it's the wrong size ring fitted, in my case if the thinner ring was fitted instead of the wider (cup) ring?
I'm due a road trip so I may take you up on the offer of your spare.
Cheers for your help, it's greatly appreciated
Yeah sounds like a cracked abs ring. Got a spare wider cup one you can have if local to the north west.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
When I had a cracked ABS ring the pedal would judder like f**k , then it would throw up the ABS light on the dash and it would feel normal afterwards. You sure it's not just your brake pads/discs worn down ?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did exactly as op describes until the abs rings were renewed. I had no lights on the dash with it, just the abs pulsing at low speeds. Soooooo much nicer now thanks to @bloke swapping them.

a cracked ring would make sense, I'll need to get under the car and have a look.
What happens if it's the wrong size ring fitted, in my case if the thinner ring was fitted instead of the wider (cup) ring?
I'm due a road trip so I may take you up on the offer of your spare.
Cheers for your help, it's greatly appreciated
You can use the thinner 8mm rings you just need to centre them under the abs sensor.

They can be hard to see if they're cracked sometimes. Get it in the air at the front and pop your head under whilst spinning the fronts and look for the split. They can be hairline so not always noticeable.

When mine had cracked on the nsf under hard braking the osr felt like it was trying to swing around on me. I also had the 'pedal fart' when coming to a stop at low speeds.

Clio 182 sport
When I had a cracked ABS ring the pedal would judder like f**k , then it would throw up the ABS light on the dash and it would feel normal afterwards. You sure it's not just your brake pads/discs worn down ?
My pads, discs & sliders are all fairly new, brakes feel fine most of the time, if I come to a halt 'sudden' it is fine no abs judder, no abs light or braking to adjust speed while driving it's fine but if I'm say low speed approaching a junction and gently braking I get the abs judder through the pedal and still no abs light.
I'm thinking it's either a cracked ring or the wrong size ring fitted, I've had new driveshafts fitted recently hence my thinking going towards the width of the ring.
As suggested I need to get the car up & get under and have a look.

Clio 182 sport
You can use the thinner 8mm rings you just need to centre them under the abs sensor.

They can be hard to see if they're cracked sometimes. Get it in the air at the front and pop your head under whilst spinning the fronts and look for the split. They can be hairline so not always noticeable.

When mine had cracked on the nsf under hard braking the osr felt like it was trying to swing around on me. I also had the 'pedal fart' when coming to a stop at low speeds.
So you are confirming that it is the wider ring that should be fitted?
Handy to know before I get under for a look, cheers

Clio 182 sport
Just to follow up - when I got under the car it was clear I had a thinner abs ring fitted to the drivers side so as a temp fix I re-positioned it to the centre of the sensor. It seems to be working ok for now. I will change it at the first opportunity.

Cup hubs = wider abs rings

Thanks for all the help