ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding RAM help :(

B

Brown.

My pop has a Mesh Elite E4300 Pro,

vista is killing it.....not wanting to revert back to xp, i suggested ram upgrade

now

it has 4 slots in the confug of orange, black, orange, black

the first orange slot has 1gb Ram

Ihave seen some where that 4GB is its maximum and that buying 2 x 1gb is better the 1x 2gb....so that means i only need another 1gb card....

my question is, can it use a dual memory set up and if so which slot do i put the additional card into.....or should i just buy a 2gb card and put it in place of the 1gb............???

6a00e398a0294d000500fa967e6a100003.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
  ValverInBits
OK, Im assuming this PC runs on DDR ram

DDR must be set up in PAIRS
this means you need 2 identical sticks in the orange slots, and 2 identical sticks in the black if you are going to run them at all.
The motherboard has ram requirements (probably DDR not DDR2) and you need to find them in the handbook so you know what you can and can't run.
Vista 32bit, will accept a maximum of 4gig ram, and I'm pretty sure that's what ou'll be running, right click "computer" > properties to find out.

So the answer is that you need pairs. You need to find out what the motherboard limit is. You need to accertain (from the manual) what the first RAM slot colour is and then the second if you are going to use it.
If you wanna run 4 gig, you are going to need 4x1gig, or 2x2gig. Although a lot of motherboards cannot handle 2 gig per stick. Also be aware of the speed of the ram (mhz). All motherboards have a limit, make sure what you buy is suitable

B

Brown.

Excellent cheers, i cross ref'd the mother board to a website i use and got this

Dual channel memory architecture
4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. 4GB DDR2 667/ 533/400 non-ECC, unbuffered memory
* Due to general PC architecture, a small amount of memory is reserved for system usage and thus the actual memory size is less than the stated amount

So you were BANG on the money my friend!!! :D al buy an additional 3 x 1gb @ 667Mhz

clio 16v
OK, Im assuming this PC runs on DDR ram

DDR must be set up in PAIRS
this means you need 2 identical sticks in the orange slots, and 2 identical sticks in the black if you are going to run them at all.
The motherboard has ram requirements (probably DDR not DDR2) and you need to find them in the handbook so you know what you can and can't run.
Vista 32bit, will accept a maximum of 4gig ram, and I'm pretty sure that's what ou'll be running, right click "computer" > properties to find out.

So the answer is that you need pairs. You need to find out what the motherboard limit is. You need to accertain (from the manual) what the first RAM slot colour is and then the second if you are going to use it.
If you wanna run 4 gig, you are going to need 4x1gig, or 2x2gig. Although a lot of motherboards cannot handle 2 gig per stick. Also be aware of the speed of the ram (mhz). All motherboards have a limit, make sure what you buy is suitable

Im running 3Gb in 3x1GB sticks and it works fine?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Erm.. DDR can be installed in singles.

If you want dual-channel then yes, you install matching sticks in the appropriate slots.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Excellent cheers, i cross ref'd the mother board to a website i use and got this

Dual channel memory architecture
4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. 4GB DDR2 667/ 533/400 non-ECC, unbuffered memory
* Due to general PC architecture, a small amount of memory is reserved for system usage and thus the actual memory size is less than the stated amount

So you were BANG on the money my friend!!! :D al buy an additional 3 x 1gb @ 667Mhz

I'd buy two sets of matched 2Gb kits, as opposed to getting 3x1Gb sticks to go with that one. Less likely to encounter memory issues when it's running dual channel.

As for running DDR in singles, can be done although some architectures don't support it.

B

Brown.

This one does....if it dont work, which am sure it will al send the cards back