ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
This is what im currently working on when i get a spare 5 min, Modified standard manifold holding a tf035 turbo (like a small td04 that the starlet guys like to use) the pic of turbos show the original housing at the bottom, and old school T2 of a Renault 5 GT Turbo and then the tf035 at the top.

20190328_200057.jpg
20190328_195846.jpg
20190328_171921.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
fantastic cars absolutely loved my pair! such a riot once tuned, I used to hold on to 172/182s until around 100mph which really is more than enough for the road these days.

my first one was a bit higher milage and I roasted the clutch with 150lb/ft in about 2000 miles lol the second one had no issues though.

they are bomb proof little motors! id like to swap one into a mk2 clio

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
This thing went well on track, it kept pace with a fair few things tbh! It's definitely a 1.2 tCe in my eyes?

My sister has the 1.2 tCe 100 Clio MK3, proper gutless standard but once tweaked they're pretty good. A local lad had a mk3 PH2 mapped with 172 injectors etc and it pulled away from my old dCi 100 a fair whack!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
1149cc you should round down not up to 1.2 lol but it looks better with a 1.1t badge lol

indeed it hustled along nicely, especially for a car on cheap tires and normal road pads.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye but Renault are retarded and do things the opposite way? My 172 was just about pulling on yours which is good going for it

Do the 8v rods fit into these? I'm sure they're beefier in design, maybe?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Aftermarket rods are available, though if I'm honest, and wanted to shoot well north of 200bhp I'd just swap the lump out. If I could crack 165bhp solidly on it I'll be ecstatic.

Part numbers show the rods are different to the non turbo which is nice, I guess time will tell. the older 8v rods would probably be bigger and stronger though. Have you seen an old Renault 5 gtt rod vs a modern engine, proper manly, they will do 230ftlb on a 1397cc

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Buy an eco bang with 140 out the box ?

Bit heavier though ?

I still can't get over how well yours went over the weekend!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Not seen GTT rods but I know the D7F has a chunkier bottom end than the 16v D4F. Never seen inside of a D4FT but I do know that they idle like s**t with a dirty throttle body??

Do these twingos still use the JB3/JB1 box?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Buy an eco bang with 140 out the box ?

Bit heavier though ?

I still can't get over how well yours went over the weekend!

its be some heavy old hector with a diesel engine probably ??

half the fun is tinkering for me too and doing something a little different. you should see some of the stuff I've put together over the years, some of it very out there. I generally get an idea and run with it, get bored, sell up for something else lol

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I cant find the ratios for the 120. Could be tempted if you fancied pulling the 5 gear cogs off and posting them to me and scrapping the rest? i want a longer 5th for the JH gearbox, not a JC.

JA3 JA5 JH3 and JR5 all seem to share parts

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Easy peasy job, thats why only want the 5th lol. In fact ive done a 5th gear replacement a santpod car park before lol. No bother i look around locally first as its a 3 hour each way trip on a good day (y) and postage on a box aint going to be cheap.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Aye but I'm lazy and I can put £10 on there being something else you'd need from the box ? ? Postage would be about £30-40 so yeah, about the same price as the box haha

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Scrap yard haul today for a 41/31 5th
lgearset. Pulled from a modus that we didnt have the locking wheel nut key from so had to do everything from the top.

20190720_132843.jpg
20190720_124559(0).jpg

Got home and set about fitting it to the twingo. TBH it wont be a massive difference at all but should drop the rpm a little in the motorway cruising spot.

20190720_145522.jpg
20190720_163917.jpg

Downside, I'm not sure if the gearbox oil has ever been swapped out, it wasnt pretty and I'm not sure it will last long tbh. I noticed a bit of end float on one of the shafts too. Ahh well, see how she holds up.

20190720_183758.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So I'm a little happier at the suspected gearbox condition. Rather than look at the oil I caught in a bucket after I removed the end cap I pulled some from the drain plug into a clean container. Looks loads better, I ran a magnet through it to see if it would find anything but picked up nothing. Filled it back up but I'll drop it again at the next service.

20190721_095122_005.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Front wishbone and arb upgrades with added stiffness and extra caster. Basically the twingo has the povo spec clio style arb though its the same width as the 172 item and the wishbones are near enough the same size, just a slightly different shape and angle of mounting the lower ball joint. The Arb looks to be 1mm larger on the 172. I collected some parts off a friend and went ahead and fitted them up on the twingo. Jobs not finished yet as the inner arb clamps are a dick to do on the drive.

Copied from Truborenault.co.uk

What a s**t day. 1.5 hours ish to swap out the twingo arb and wishbones in the rain. 5 hours trying to get the inner arb Bush clamps back on. One is there loose the other doesn't have a bolt in

the wishbones are very similar upon removal though the 172 items look to give a chunk of extra caster and possibly some extra width. wheel looks to.be about 10 to 15mm further forward. All needs aligning properly once I get the arb clamps sorted. I'm yet to drive it under it's own power yet but all seems ok so far. Once done it should aid handling a little.

20190909_110756.jpg
20190909_155152.jpg
20190909_104054.jpg
20190909_155158.jpg

Need to measure up the rear next, would be nice to be able to upgrade to a stiffer rear end with disks instead of drums. The twingo gt has the same rear track width listed as a 172 anyway so hopefully the beam will swap in easily.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Rear beam is the same as 172. Go to a breaker and pull the rear end out of a 1.6 16v later Clio with rear discs as the ABS sensors need to be different to work with the car, that will bolt straight on and then you can buy a whiteline rear arb too 👀 😂

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
im assuming the 172/182 rear has a stiffer roll bar than the 1.6 stuff, hmm ill see what i can find down the scrap yard.
Yeah but the stubs from the 1.6 bolt on to a 172 rear beam haha

Calipers and carriers are all the same and so are the discs. Its just the roll bar thickness is bigger in the 172. If you wanted the best get a 182 rear beam as the later ones have stiffener fins down under the spring pads