ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adjusting the gearbox linkage slip joint?

Evo
Okay so previous to a couple weeks ago when my misses 182 was launched and lost 1st & 2nd gear i've stripped it down over xmas and replaced the clutch and fitted a reconditioned gearbox purchased off here.

I'll cut to the chase, all seems well apart from i cannot get reverse or 5th gear. Reverse goes into the gate but just grinds when the clutch is engaged, and 5th just has no feel to it and nothing happens on clutch engagement. I'm aware the slip joint on the gear linkage will be causing this as it requires adjusting. however, i've battled with this in EVERY possible twist and length possible and if i move it away significantly from where it was set with the old box i lose all feel and gears. I once got what felt like 5th back once but it was lost again. Reverse is a lost cause.

The vehicle has a short shifter fitted with the OEM pin on the box end, but it never affected the previous box with such issues.

So in short, how do i adjust this poxy thing correctly without the tool? Or if i need one where can i get it?

Thanks.

Evo
Yes and all gears are easily selected, except obviously reverse because of the safety catch on the stick.

182cup & 172 racecar
You really need some help,it's much easier with two of you.One underneath and one in the car,then you can select a gear from inside and it can be nipped up from underneath.

Try putting it into 5th then tighten it up,you also might need to file a little off the plastic shroud at the gear stick end.
Shame your so far away,I'd give you a hand.

182cup & 172 racecar
Really ?, never heard of that one.Get underneath,put it in 5th,get into car,put the lever in the 5th position,get back underneath tighten nut,try that.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ooh bad news dude.

If you can drive it OK, go to ren-tec (or similar) in Chelmsford, or Two Techs in Dartford rather than Renault ?!

Or call Fred/Danny/Mick/Ghostbusters to see if anyone can suggest anything !?

Evo
Tony I'll give that a shot, TDF told mema similar trick but using 4th, it didn't work :(

Anyone got details for ren tech Chelmsford? Phone number, website etc?

340i
Yes there is a special tool from Renault... But you really do not need it! (well, I never have)

Loosen off the linkage

Engage 5th gear (underneath the car)

Select 5th on the gear stick

Adjust / connect linkage to suit

re-try the gears from in the car

Evo
Really ?, never heard of that one.Get underneath,put it in 5th,get into car,put the lever in the 5th position,get back underneath tighten nut,try that.

Yes there is a special tool from Renault... But you really do not need it! (well, I never have)

Loosen off the linkage

Engage 5th gear (underneath the car)

Select 5th on the gear stick

Adjust / connect linkage to suit

re-try the gears from in the car

This method worked! Thanks guys you are life savers. I was trying this with 4th. Now the car drives like before with perfect gear engagement :)

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thats an impressive 9 year gap, people always comment when a thread gets revived, but the same people also tell others to use the search function because its been covered before 🤷‍♂️

Anyway,

Just jump under the car and watch the mech, its very simple once you see it moving, left and right on the gear stick moves the box selector up and down, forwards and backwards on the stock rotates the selector forwards and backwards.

Reverse, 5th, 2nd and 4th are very easy to find just by tanking the box selector about, from memory reverse is all the way up and anti clockwise.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
How do you know which gears are which on the box?

It's simple enough, R, 1, 3 and 5th are back, obviously others are forward, left and right positions are the same as in the car, use 5th to set the gear linkage is best/always worked for me