ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(Advice) 1.5 Dci GT Tuning Chip

Renault Clio GT Dci
Hi, I'm new to the forums and even modding my car in the slightest haha

Basically I am looking into getting my Clio remapped or having a tuning chip installed, I've found a local company who install tuning Chips that alter the Engines ECU and the performance difference supposedly takes my car from 105 to 140 BHP. I've never had anything like this done before but have been told that it is to big of an increase for my car and that I'l need new brakes and that it could result in expensive engine damage as my clutch.

Any Advice?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What chip are they offering to install? Someone might have used it before and can offer feedback.

Where are you located? Someone might know a decent remap place nearby.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Who on earth are you getting your advice from.

105 to 140hp from just a 'chip' seems a bit far fetched.

Why would you need new brakes ?

If you're going to "need new brakes" and "damage the clutch" why would you consider doing it ?

Advice: Buy a faster car.

Put a tuning box on my GT DCI around 6-7 years ago still going strong now never been a issue,

you do get a little clutch slip when you get on boost in 6th from 40mph ish, but you can easily drive the car around it,

Generally they make 120-130 bhp after a tuning box, mine kept up with fabia vrs pd130’s as a measure

Renault Clio GT Dci
Who on earth are you getting your advice from.

105 to 140hp from just a 'chip' seems a bit far fetched.

Why would you need new brakes ?

If you're going to "need new brakes" and "damage the clutch" why would you consider doing it ?

Advice: Buy a faster car.
just a couple people Ive spoken too and from reviews, and Im not considering doing it if its going to shred my clutch am I you nonce. thats why Im asking it if would cause I dont have a clue. Your just massively contradicting yourself lol but thanks for your advice. Id buy a faster car if I had more money but I dont.

Renault Clio GT Dci
Put a tuning box on my GT DCI around 6-7 years ago still going strong now never been a issue,

you do get a little clutch slip when you get on boost in 6th from 40mph ish, but you can easily drive the car around it,

Generally they make 120-130 bhp after a tuning box, mine kept up with fabia vrs pd130’s as a measure

Okay nice, thats fair enough spose you always get little problems if your gonna alter the engine. thanks matey. Appreciate it

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Thats f**king expensive for a box, a proper remap will be loads less.

Renault Clio GT Dci
Thats f**king expensive for a box, a proper remap will be loads less.
I checked remap prices and the local one is 299 but that takes it to 130bhp apparently this one said 140bhp obviously these arnt always accurate figures.

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
I had a look at these for a different car and had lots of mixed reviews. Obviously, different cars have different effects/gains. From what i remember reading, you would be sent the main box, then would have to find the best setting for you, i think it was from 1-5 in choices and that was basically just turning the boost up and throwing a load of fuel in to the engine. Look at some reviews for them, doesn't need to be model specific as i think it's almost a one size fits all approach as such. As mentioned above, i think getting a live map or a rolling road map would be better.

Renault Clio GT Dci
I had a look at these for a different car and had lots of mixed reviews. Obviously, different cars have different effects/gains. From what i remember reading, you would be sent the main box, then would have to find the best setting for you, i think it was from 1-5 in choices and that was basically just turning the boost up and throwing a load of fuel in to the engine. Look at some reviews for them, doesn't need to be model specific as i think it's almost a one size fits all approach as such. As mentioned above, i think getting a live map or a rolling road map would be better.
Yeah the company would install it all and program it to suit my particular car and model however as you said some of reviews are off putting haha. thanks for your advice man cheers. think thats what il do

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I checked remap prices and the local one is 299 but that takes it to 130bhp apparently this one said 140bhp obviously these arnt always accurate figures.

Even that seems expensive for a diesel remap to be honest, check a few more places.

Yeah the company would install it all and program it to suit my particular car and model however as you said some of reviews are off putting haha. thanks for your advice man cheers. think thats what il do

Yeah there is nothing to install really, and they definatly don’t tune them to your car it’s 3 plugs from what I remember, basically all they do is ramp up fuel pressure

A rolling road map would probabaly see better gains, but tuning boxes are a five minute job to put on and remove (for insurance purposes or warranty purposes) the later being my reason for going for one back in the day

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
A K9K will only make 130bhp before running out of clutch or injector. I'm not too clued up on the newer ones as I think they're Siemens injectors and not the wanky Delphi f*****s that are in my bag of s**t.

Best thing would be to get a custom map, I know that RS Tuning do them but they're about £300 last time I checked and you know for definite what power it's making, what torque and they can adjust fuel and boost to suit, not just upping boost and fuel to where it feels quicker

Renault Clio GT Dci
Okay thanks for the advice. Swaying away from a tuning chip il just research some local map companies and get it on the old rolling road. Cheers som

Land Rover
Also consider your insurance.
Obviously you could choose not to tell them, but if they find out (say after a crash when they inspect your car) you won’t be covered.
Which could put you in big trouble.
If you tell them....well it used to load the premium but nowadays so many people are doing it, that the insurance companies have taken it on board, and an “engine chip” often won’t affect your premium as long as it’s in the range 10-25% more power.
So that would be a max of around 130bhp on a Clio that is just over 100bhp as standard.