ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice and criticism please? Clio and landscape pictures

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
This is my first proper camera, so I'm looking for some advice and criticism on these pictures so I can better myself. The camera itself is a Fujifilm S6800 bridge camera.

22734671-7c39-488b-bb12-69a37485e5e7_zps257dd58f.jpg

DSCF0462_zpscae6a5e3.jpg

DSCF0465_zps4451ca0e.jpg

DSCF0473_zpsaf2adde5.jpg

DSCF0481_zpse8c5fa82.jpg

DSCF0480_zps0f5aff92.jpg

DSCF0474_zps82ce6522.jpg

DSCF0474_zps82ce6522.jpg

DSCF0476_zpsa9484196.jpg

All advice and criticism on these pictures are welcomed. I know the quality isn't great.

Swift Sport
The location of your car isn't ideal really, too much clutter in the background. For car photos I personally like to take the pictures at quite a low angle, and fill the frame more with the car.

The second scenery picture isn't a bad effort, but the last couple lack any foreground interest. I'm no pro photographer but I was always told that you should always try to have something in the foreground to complete the picture.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I appreciate the advice. The location of the car pictures was only chosen due to being parked there and having my camera with me.

I need to get out and about with my camera more to get some practice.

Swift Sport
Another tip is to always have the front wheels turned away from the camera to show the face of the wheel, like this...

DBR2%20Aston%20Martin%20Car%20Photography%20Tim%20Wallace%202.jpg

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
That makes perfect sense when it's pointed out. That is an incredible looking picture and I'd love to get a shot half as good as that!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I don't have Photoshop either. Just trying to focus on getting some good pictures first and then going from there.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You don't need Photoshop.

For post processing and resizing try photoscape. Great free software and so easy to use.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Also, try standing a distance from the car and zooming in for the shot.

I'm guessing that's just so I only get exactly the right area in the picture?
You don't need Photoshop.

For post processing and resizing try photoscape. Great free software and so easy to use.

I've got no idea where to start with photo editing. I'll download it and have a play with it though, thanks.

Swift Sport
I'm guessing that's just so I only get exactly the right area in the picture?

I think it just gives you a better perspective of the car, here's a picture I took from a distance (not a great shot, the sky is overexposed and the fence spoils the picture) Just an example :)

14426502300_f1006a0e78_c.jpg

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I see what you mean. I'll have to try and put these tips in to practice next time. Thank you for the advice.

Practice is the best way forward.
I'd second Photoscape, been using it for years and although it isn't as good as Photoshop or similar, it is pretty easy to use and get decent results and it's free!

275 Trophy
OP, as mentioned, think about the background to your shots. Try different angels (high, low etc.) to 'force' the required background. If this is not possible, shoot wide open (lowest f stop) you can to make the background as blurred as possible. This will be harder on a none SLR due to the small sensor having massive depth of field though. The 1st ones you posted aren't 'artistic' at all, mearly record shots.

The interior shot is okay, but there's mess in the car. Clear this sort of thing out before taking the picture.

The zoomed in windmill pic is in theory nice, but the air quality has rendered the image far too soft to really be of any use. The zoomed out ones are poor to be honest. The subject is far to small in the frame. As a rule of thumb, never put the horizon in the middle of the frame. Try for 1/3rd or 2/3rds. Tilt the camera down, putting the windmills in the distance with a rock for example in the foreground would have been okay.

The best pic for me is the tower, although you have cropped too closely, missing the top of the aerials off. The image should have a bit of room to breath or to see the context. What you have done well here though is to get the horizon 1/3rd up, and to have the metal barrier start in the corner, which leads the eye into the image towards the tower. The vertical lines are straight and parallel to the image edge too, which is good. Upping the saturation a little would make the colours pop a little more - something you can try in Photshop/Gimp/whatever.

The last pic is not too bad, and could be improved upon by cropping the image so that the the subject, as with horizons above, is 1/3rd along the width of the pic, so basically cut off a quarter of the left hand side, and 1/5th of the bottom if you see what I mean.

Overall, not bad as a first effort. Some good ideas - keep trying :)

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
That is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for Xanda73 Thank you. I'll take this all on board and keep on practising.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
There are some great photographers on here Owen, you can get some great tips and ideas!

As said above, think about the backdrop more, especially for automotive photos - Go out for a drive and just find somewhere that will look nice in the background of your shots. Also try and get some depth of field to them.

Good luck! :)

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Cheers mate. I'll definitely be bringing my camera to CSS, so I might annoy you with some questions on the day.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Read the stickies...

As for standing back and zooming in.... :S

That got me too...

Don't stand back and zoom in, you'll lose image quality whenever you zoom in from my experience with Bridge cameras. You'll also get camera shake unless you are using a tripod.

Just shoot as wide as you can and move a bit closer to the car.

Most important thing is to get to a decent location.

As for landscape, again, find somewhere nice, something with good foreground interest. Have play with the camera settings too.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Cheers guys. I'll definitely look out for some good locations to try and utilise the advice you've all given.

just don't try and take a video and zoom in and out, have you heard the motor noise that's picked up by your camera (s6800)? Ridiculous! i put it straight back on the display

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I've not really used the video side of the camera yet, but I will have a play around and see if I can hear what you are on about mate.