ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice clio cup

Clio 182

hi guys, im looking to buy a clio 172 and i have got the chance of a clio cup for £8000 with only 12K on the clock, form a dealer if i can get it sorted before the end of the month. i didnt really want the cup version but this 1 is a beauty and seems too good to turn down. im not used to driving fast cars, as i only have a 1.4 at the moment. couold anyone tell me a bit about them, like what kit do you get, do you get abs? air con? im not sure what to do, can anyone help

thanks

An orange one

no abs, traction or air con on the 172 cup, its the most hardcore out of all the clios as even the 182 "cup" has air con and abs.

i got one after having a saxo VTR and the performance difference is huge, depends if you value your leather and air con much though, i can personally live without it, also worth of note is that the cups are quite twitchy especially in the wet, though common sense should take care of that.

hope this helps

VaVa

What yer maun said ^^^^

I have a full fat 172 and love it. But given the choice, Id probably pickt the Cup for the Colour.

320d

Some later 172 cups have climate control very few though

Standard spec is:

No ABS, no traction control, no xenons, no spare wheel, no engine cover, cloth seats

12,000 miles is the service interval and depending on age itll prob have been due a service before then due to age rather than mileage

Clio 182

oh i dont know what to do, doesnt sound like you get much kit with it. im just a bit worried about when the winter comes as im not the most experienced driver of driving fast cars. especially having no abs. will there be any difference in insurance to a normal 172?

DC5

It is insurance grp 17, compared to 16 for a full fat 172. But I dont think it really affects the quote.

I was worried about not having all the luxuries, but to be honest once you get behind the wheel they dont seem important. You are too busy driving with a big smile on your face. The one thing I do miss is air con, after having it on my last 2 cars. But I have just gone through the summer without it, and it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Buy it!!

dont be a girl, get the Cup, they look miles better and go better... surely thats what its all about... you want luxery, buy a Beemer.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

When i got a quote for my full fat 172 off greenlight insurance they said if it was a cup it would be dearer as theyve had loads of claims

I have had a cup for the past 2 years and it is absolutely awesome, and my insurance quote for the cup was cheaper than a standard 172.

Quote: Originally posted by d_tyler on 30 August 2005

oh i dont know what to do, doesnt sound like you get much kit with it. im just a bit worried about when the winter comes as im not the most experienced driver of driving fast cars. especially having no abs.

just take it easy & you will be fine, I have never had a car with abs & i have been fine (thats in 6 years worth of driving)

insurance wise, a cup is cheaper for me to insure than the normal 172
(im not using the words full fat as i dont like that term);)

Clio Cup/GSXR 600

abs aint all that IMO, you soon learn the limits of the brakes, and how hard to push them. You should remember what your driving instructor said, if they lock up release and re aply. Keeps you on the ball?

Its never hot enough to need air con, just wind the window down ray bans on, look kool as...

Cup any day less of them about!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

The only thing in a 172 that I wish the cup had is lumbar support!

ABS - if you need it, youre probably pushing the car too hard.

Climate Control, there is probably a week of the year where youll really need it!

Traction Control - Most 172/182 drivers turn it off!

Cruise Control - Do you really need it?

The Cup has thinner glass which I think is definately hardcore weight saving option!

I remember talking to Jon (The Jesus) at a meet, saying I wish I had bought a FF172, but he said that if I had that, I would probably be thinking I wish Id bought a cup...

Just think that the cup is a rarer car than the proper 172 as theres only about 2,700 made, and a fair few of them are in breakers yards after problems. Just take it easy and get used to the car, its a good car which has best smile per pound factor in my opinion of any non-turbod hot hatch type car.

Personally Id go for the Cup. Youll get the extra performance, and you wont have the agro of the toys breaking.

And anyone who says the Cup isnt quicker is deluded. 80kg is a big penalty in any car.

It doesnt matter how fast the car is, its how you drive it. You would be fine in a Ferrari as long as you drive it correctly and to the letter of the laws of this country.

Tiff

TDI tyre shreader

Quote: Originally posted by donnyo on 30 August 2005
The only thing in a 172 that I wish the cup had is lumbar support! ABS - if you need it, youre probably pushing the car too hard. Climate Control, there is probably a week of the year where youll really need it! Traction Control - Most 172/182 drivers turn it off! Cruise Control - Do you really need it?The Cup has thinner glass which I think is definately hardcore weight saving option! I remember talking to Jon (The Jesus) at a meet, saying I wish I had bought a FF172, but he said that if I had that, I would probably be thinking I wish Id bought a cup...Just think that the cup is a rarer car than the proper 172 as theres only about 2,700 made, and a fair few of them are in breakers yards after problems. Just take it easy and get used to the car, its a good car which has best smile per pound factor in my opinion of any non-turbod hot hatch type car.

Erm do you live in the real world?

Cup 172

For all its faults I arrive at work with a smile every morning. The Cup really is a fantastic car. theres not all that much kicking about thats quicker than it (well not for the money) and even less that can keep up on the twisties...

Peddled device

I got mine with just 17miles on the clock for 10.5K.....bargain.Had a few niggles over the past 18 months but the dealer was fine.Its got 8k on the clock now and is nearing its 1st service.Fuel consumption had been great...around 39mpg.Nearly changed it for a 182 a few months back.....but that would have been a mistake.I fancied a few toys but as l came from a 205gti l still dont know what ABS,AIR-CON,ESP,XENON etc means.

Its rarer too...l never see any about.All l need is better seats which ill get when l come back from Tanzania...!

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 31 August 2005

Climate Control, there is probably a week of the year where youll really need it!

The Cup has thinner glass which I think is definately hardcore weight saving option!

I remember talking to Jon (The Jesus) at a meet, saying I wish I had bought a FF172, but he said that if I had that, I would probably be thinking I wish Id bought a cup...

Just think that the cup is a rarer car than the proper 172 as theres only about 2,700 made, and a fair few of them are in breakers yards after problems. Just take it easy and get used to the car, its a good car which has best smile per pound factor in my opinion of any non-turbod hot hatch type car.

I think he is, I agree with all he said there

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 31 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Jones on 31 August 2005

I think he is, I agree with all he said there
ditto, what up your arse Jones? lol

Cup is by FAR the best looking 172, it also goes the best and can still do all the crap you need it to do. Air con would be the only thing id miss... but like Donny says, for 1 week of the year where you would want it theres no point... open a window or two and drive faster, there you go, you now have aircon... too cold? slow down... its just as good and wont give you headaches! hehe

VaVa

Pays your money takes you choice, but its not a matter of neccessity. You obviously dont need all the extras, but some people dont need to go two tenths faster or have a car with a firmer ride for better handling. Its all a preference.

And I kind of understand where Jones is coming from. Theres quite a few sweeping statements in the post donnyo made. I dont turn off the ESP, Ive had to rely on ABS in an emergency - not because I wash pushing too hard - And Ill be the first to admit Im you average driver that such aids were invented for. Although if Id ave bought a Cup, I would have instantly become the best driver in the world.:p

Most people give their reasons for buying a Cup as being "Because its hardcore and lightweight" and then go and race down to their local Sainsburys in it. lol.

But like I said its a choice. The Cups looks appealed to me more than anything, but I picked the 172 because Im tight. Look at all the extra kit you get for what equated to about £1200 from new.

Automatic Xenons, Leather and alacantara seats, Climate Control, Cruise Control, more powerful Stereo and speakers with 6 CD changer, Auto Wipers, ABS with EBD, ESP, UV reflecting windscreen, split rear seats, luggage net, mats ect ect

some good points lagerlout. I think what Donny is basically saying is he didnt need all these extra and that the general consensus is that most 1*2 owners do turn the ESP off... Id certainly agree with that as the forum gives that impression.

However you look at the pros and cons they are certainly things you will be able to gauge a difference in. For example, the Xenon lights and aircon you would notice if and when you came to use them, but you will also notice 80kgs in weight saving. This may only be a couple of tenths to 60, but its moreso to 100 and in the real world the regular 172 cannot even touch the Cup on performance. Myself and Donny used to have some good fun on the way to and from meets and there was never much in it, 172 would not have a chance. It depends on your outlook I suppose, theres going to be a divide on people that like their toys and people that would rather have the looks and performance.

Cup 172

Quote: Originally posted by RALLYPUG on 31 August 2005

I got mine with just 17miles on the clock for 10.5K.....bargain.Had a few niggles over the past 18 months but the dealer was fine.Its got 8k on the clock now and is nearing its 1st service.Fuel consumption had been great...around 39mpg.Nearly changed it for a 182 a few months back.....but that would have been a mistake.I fancied a few toys but as l came from a 205gti l still dont know what ABS,AIR-CON,ESP,XENON etc means.

Its rarer too...l never see any about.All l need is better seats which ill get when l come back from Tanzania...!
39 MPG???? How???

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 31 August 2005

some good points lagerlout. I think what Donny is basically saying is he didnt need all these extra and that the general consensus is that most 1*2 owners do turn the ESP off... Id certainly agree with that as the forum gives that impression.

However you look at the pros and cons they are certainly things you will be able to gauge a difference in. For example, the Xenon lights and aircon you would notice if and when you came to use them, but you will also notice 80kgs in weight saving. This may only be a couple of tenths to 60, but its moreso to 100 and in the real world the regular 172 cannot even touch the Cup on performance. Myself and Donny used to have some good fun on the way to and from meets and there was never much in it, 172 would not have a chance. It depends on your outlook I suppose, theres going to be a divide on people that like their toys and people that would rather have the looks and performance.

Still not convinced. A lot of 172s cant turn the ESP off... and what people say on here and what they do in real life are two completely different things.... Surely people dont spend their entire life racing sround the roads? If you drive to work in the pissing rain, are you going to turn it off?? Are you b****cks. It people acting jonny big b****cks.

I turn mine off if I fancy a bit of fun, but other than that it stays on.

I know for a fact that after working with a guy who owned a Cup for 2 years and driving home on a regular basis side by side, theres f**k all in it. If anything, on a good day with a couple of good gear changes, I could pull on him slightly at high speeds.

The difference between a good Cup and a bad Cup is bigger than the difference between a 172 and Cup in my experience.

Oh and Climate Control AC is great for what little summer we get but its also excellent for de misting windows at the touch of a button - and f**k knows we have enough of a winter!! People who donthave it make out that they would only miss it for two days a year. Well thats b****cks. It doesnt have to be hot outside to get hot in a car. I have mine set to 19 degrees if anyones interested. lol.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 31 August 2005 at 12:40pm]

VaVa

Sorry for rant. Sick of seeing same stuff typed, and tying same stuff. I will never post in a thread of this nature again!!!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Apologies to those who may feel that Ive caused offence.

The general impression given by most owners on here is that traction control isnt used and is felt to be a hinderance. (Thats the perception that I got).

I havent said that the cup is/isnt better than a 172, I just outlined my reasoning behind getting one, and also the fact that if you had one, you would think that you wished youd got the other.

I also wasnt trying to get anyone slated, or attacked, as I said...it was my personal opinion, which I was passing onto a person who was looking for advice. That was all I did, GIVE ADVICE. We are all human and have different reasoning behind why we would do something.

I personally have never had a need for ABS, Ive had instances where someone has pulled out on me, and Ive controlled the car to a stop. If a car is good to drive, you drive it...you dont let all the toys do the work, and if the weather is wet/icy then you shouldnt be pushing the car, as youre a hazard to yourself and other road users.

Thanks guys for backing me up on my comments (you know who you are) and that is just what they were, comments, not criticisms.

Take it easy peeps, I wasnt trying to get at anyone...just do what a forum is there for and have my say (opinion).

Donny

VaVa

I only gave my views in contrary to yours. Its what discussions all about!!:D

I have no idea why people think the ESP is such a hindrance. I hardly ever see the light flash tbh and f your driving correctly on the raod you shouldnt need to.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 31 August 2005 at 1:03pm]

172, Tiguan

I havent read the thread, sorry, but the ESP is a huge hinderance on track and if your pushing hard on the road id imagine it "could" be the same.

VaVa

Im sure it is on the track, nearly typed as much. I push on the road, as does anyone, and its never bothered me. Ive only had it kick in when Ive experieced understeer in the wet. I guess if you drive like a loon ot could be a pain!

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 31 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 31 August 2005

Still not convinced. A lot of 172s cant turn the ESP off... and what people say on here and what they do in real life are two completely different things.... Surely people dont spend their entire life racing sround the roads? If you drive to work in the pissing rain, are you going to turn it off?? Are you b****cks. It people acting jonny big b****cks.

I turn mine off if I fancy a bit of fun, but other than that it stays on.

I know for a fact that after working with a guy who owned a Cup for 2 years and driving home on a regular basis side by side, theres f**k all in it. If anything, on a good day with a couple of good gear changes, I could pull on him slightly at high speeds.

The difference between a good Cup and a bad Cup is bigger than the difference between a 172 and Cup in my experience.

Oh and Climate Control AC is great for what little summer we get but its also excellent for de misting windows at the touch of a button - and f**k knows we have enough of a winter!! People who donthave it make out that they would only miss it for two days a year. Well thats b****cks. It doesnt have to be hot outside to get hot in a car. I have mine set to 19 degrees if anyones interested. lol.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 31 August 2005 at 12:40pm]
i had ESP on my last car... i prefer without... I also had aircon on my last car and would like the Willy to have had it, but it doesnt have that or a sun roof and i cant say as Im that arsed. aircon is nice for demisting, but im lazy, so I always have a towel in the car in winter :D

Street Triple R

Quote: Originally posted by team_penetrator on 31 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by RALLYPUG on 31 August 2005

39 MPG???? How???
It can be done, my usual driving i get about 32mpg i suppose, but i went down to Devon for a holiday a little while ago, did tons of driving, beautiful gorgeous flowing A roads, over the week i averaged 39 mpg too, depends what type of roads you drive on

i went to kings lynn on the a10 and reset the counter, a very steady and light foot gave me 50mpg! kept like that for miles. a razz back home down the a1 soon had that seeing 30mpg tho lol

Cup 172

^^^ What he said.

ABS might be good in an emergency, but if you are pushing deep into a corner you can brake later with it than with out it...