ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice need on buying a Clio Renaultsport 172

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
That is MILES better in every respect than the one you originally posted...

no offense but how can you tell when there is no mention of servicing.

Yep its not been tarted up a bit but you cant see the condition of the alloys.

Im not defending the 'shed' as its now know but the interior did look better than on the pictures, interior photos with flash always look bad.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
This one is in the same county as me. Still an hour and a half drive away

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180397252332&fromMakeTrack=true

don’t like the fact they have no service book.

I've emailed and asked if they have any receipt that show the cam belt has been changed and also for some interior pics.

What do peeps think of that car? Are there any other major parts that should have been replaced in the service that I should ask him if he has receipts for?

Thanks

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Any Thought on these cars?

I'm particular interested in what work I should be looking at that should have been done in the services, i.e. the ones that are extra costly i.e. cam belt etc which I already know.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Yeah I am thinking that, a few I have just looked at are the same. Sorry peperami, didnt see the post you had put up when I replied last

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
would defs check behind and underneith the bumper and interogate him on the respray,

probs get him down on the price,

the blue car is a shed,
lexus lights and replaced gearknobs are a good indication that the cars been hacked,
and the lack of service and tatty advert id say he didnt care that much for the car,
i would avoid that like the plague,

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
avoid that blue one like the plague. its missed nearly 3 services, no cambelt doubt its had gearbox oil done, brake fluid done, coolant done, thats all overdue

That first one looks a s**tter imo. Those wheels are minging and that exhaust screams w**k shaft.

Looking forward to the weekly "my new 172 is f**ked again" thread ;)

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
avoid that blue one like the plague. its missed nearly 3 services, no cambelt doubt its had gearbox oil done, brake fluid done, coolant done, thats all overdue

Not sure if the cam belt was done or not. But decided to leave it anyway. Decided if i really want a Full Fat 172 I'll probably have to pay a bit more and expect it to come with stock alloys and looks - I'm not really interested in performance tweaks.

You never know someone on here might want to swap for my Civic Type R....though I am not allowed to post on the For Sale Section and advertise it !!!!!! :dapprove:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No such thing as a full fat 172, it's ph1 172, 172, or 172cup

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Just the 172 then if you are being picky. Ive heard people on sites refer to it as the FF (Full Fat) 172 Compared to the stripped out 172 Cup without the toys

David- Having seen a fair few sheds If that was me I would put a Wanted add in the classifieds & be quite specific in terms of what PH2 you want-

for example - Ph2 172, Mileage under 65k, Belts a must with proof, ETC ETC-
You will find that people on here ( on the whole) will have looked after their cars a damn site better than Joe public who advertise on the autotrader-
Also SOME small car places take 172's in as PX - which again you will often get little traceability in terms of history etc etc-

Buy from here or be prepared to arm yourself with the key questions to ask when buying private / trader / dealer-

MAYBE MAYBE someone who is local to you may come & look with you - always worth a shout.....

Best of luck with the search-

Steve

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
I didnt realise you had to pay. I'll probably rather wager my £10 on autotrader to sell it. but if do get a 172 I'll consider joining.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
You posted up a shed and you got peoples opinions, you seemed like you want CS to justify you buying it but that wont happen, thats what this place is all about.

You have had various people posting up plenty of good examples to choose from but still keep going back to either crap or something closer. These cars will have no doubt been hammered so finding a good one is gonna take looking a little further than your back garden. If your too tight to spend £10 on joining here to get very good advice and access to buying/selling good examples of the car you want then your not really the perfectionist you claim to be.

Everytime i have looked for a car i have joined a forum dedicated to that car, it might cost £10/£20 but up to now i have always ended up with a good car, in my eyes its the best £10/£20 i could have spent.

nimbus r27
there is a 172 in silver for sale in market deeping! well there was last time i went past!
the blue 1 is a dog mate stay clear

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
You posted up a shed and you got peoples opinions, you seemed like you want CS to justify you buying it but that wont happen, thats what this place is all about.

You have had various people posting up plenty of good examples to choose from but still keep going back to either crap or

Calm down guys. I said ages ago that I have decided against the blue 'shed' I came on here to ask about it as I had my concerns! Don’t jump on me for it, at least not after I discounted it.

And Millwall4life its still not clear which car you think looks sh*t. We have already established the blue shed is sh*t. I then posted a eBay link to a local one to me that might at least be worth a short trip to check out. I also posted a link to one on Autotrader. There was a couple or replies saying that was much better! (4000 odd times better if I bother to quote one post)

.......So what are you saying is sh*t.

And FYI I've just got a house, hence wanting to swap cars and get a bit of money. Money is tight and I am a week away from pay day.

I very much value the responses posted on here so far; which may inevitably help me get a 172 and join the club. Don’t take offence but right now £10 is better spent on me actually trying to sell the car I have got and need to have a buyer for before I nail down what car (hopefully a 172) I am going from. Do not take offence by that but Autotrader has hundreds of thousands of visitors daily, I have no doubt the 172's on this site will be better cared for by hose passionate about their cars, but I have to sell my car, and this is not the best place to do that. I can view the for sales on here for free, and the hoping of finding someone who wants to swap a 172+Cash for A Civic Type R on here is probably pretty unlikely.

We're not all rolling in it so I do not feel I deserve those comments

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Mate, if you want a warm response on here don't say people are talking sh*t,

Are you sure you want a 172 then if money is tight, wouldn't you be better getting something diesel, or smaller engined maybe to really save the penny's for the house?

Audi S1
And Millwall4life its still not clear which car you think looks sh*t. We have already established the blue shed is sh*t. I then posted a eBay link to a local one to me that might at least be worth a short trip to check out. I also posted a link to one on Autotrader. There was a couple or replies saying that was much better! (4000 odd times better if I bother to quote one post)

.......So what are you saying is sh*t.

I was reffering to the OP.

I didn't care to read the rest.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
TBH this thread has run its life now- there is plenty of accurate comments from the forum members- some being traders & one owning his own garage!!!

Simple- Pay £10 & join & stop wasting time on the autotrader + ebay ads-

S

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Mate, if you want a warm response on here don't say people are talking sh*t,

Are you sure you want a 172 then if money is tight, wouldn't you be better getting something diesel, or smaller engined maybe to really save the penny's for the house?

I have not said anyone on here has taked sh*t!!!!!
Read my last post I just said I valued the replies!!!!

its all a question of compromise, like I have said in a previous post, a few weeks back I was looking at Focus Zetec's 1.6's and 1.8's. Fairly run of the mill plain cars, its only since last week I grew interest in the 172. which is the top end of my budget, thus I still get a nice car, thats exciting and gives me a bit of cash difference from selling my Civic Type - R. I can afford to run that so I can afford to run a 172, I just want and immediate cash hit to help me decorate and fit my house so I can actually live in it. I could go the bottom end of the scale to a mondane focus but its a trade of between enjoyable car, and cash a swapout would give me.

TBH this thread has run its life now- there is plenty of accurate comments from the forum members- some being traders & one owning his own garage!!!

Simple- Pay £10 & join & stop wasting time on the autotrader + ebay ads-

S

At the moment I can only look and not buy - I dont have a buyer for mine so cant until then. And its only been a few days since I've decided I like the 172 - but its not the only car I am looking at, it might not be the car I go for, until I am set on it, and I need to see more and drive more its not worth me joining in my opinion at the present time. if i joined all the forums of the models I like I'd have spent a fair bit; thought the 172 is one of the favorates

I only stumbled on this forum yesterday. Ive only today learned there is guides available to members on the cars. Yet it feel like I'm being slated for asking question or for opinions on what I should look out for, major service to check for etc.

There will still be good cars on ebay and autotrader - and yes I have looked at those for sale on here, pistonheads etc. But I came here to ask a few questions and learn about the car from the people who know them and enthusiastic about them. However judgin by the most recent posts I'm not getting a friendly reception and I'm ahving to explain me financial situation and view to fend of some of the comments

...is it the usual initiaition proces for n00bs

Last edited:
  328, MK1 Clio 1.4
On another note, I have tried to do what you are planning on doing before, by selling and getting a less expensive car blah blah, but after you have,

1) Sold your car for probably less than you set out to,

2) Bought another car that is slightly over your budget because it was a goodun, and if you are a perfectionist then this will more than likely be the case.

3) Done all the other faffing that comes with car swapping (tax - possibly - travelling, fixing small bits that all add up like the aerial you mentioned, maybe replacing a few bits and bobs etc.)

You will probably end up with a lot less than you were hoping for, and then will think, "sh*te, shulda kept me civic"

Mountune Tractor
If I were you I would look at the phase 1.
For the money you want to spend, imo, it can be a little bit tricky finding the right one. £3500-£4000 will get you a mint ph 2. £3000 should get you one of the finest examples of a ph1 in the country. Just my 2p's worth.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
If I were you I would look at the phase 1.
For the money you want to spend, imo, it can be a little bit tricky finding the right one. £3500-£4000 will get you a mint ph 2. £3000 should get you one of the finest examples of a ph1 in the country. Just my 2p's worth.

Good point, dont warm to the ph1 the same way though.

Really I'll pay between 3k and 3.5k if it a solid car with low mileage for it age as I will keep if for 3 years plus.

if I went for a cheaper 2.5k to 3.2k It would probably be a higher mileage, I might have to compromise a bit elsewhere and I would probably keep something like that for two years and get a new car when my moneys not been sucked into the house anywhere near as hard.

I've actually got a buyer from work for my civic for £4800 thought they need to sell their car first aswell (personally I cant see it selling at that price they want so its a few weeks before I see them lowering the price and selling it.)

My Type R is worth £5100 though so I'm still looking to sell for higher to someone who can buy it instantly.

I have had my type R for over 3 years now and am getting near due a change so I'm happy to part with it if I can pocket 1-2K depending on what car I go for (i.e. a mondane focus or a nice more enjoyable 172)

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
http://www.fmmotors.co.uk/66967/fmmotors_stock.htm

Lovely ph1 at that garage (page 5) - looks like a former owners car as well - registration M20 EJT

its crap living 278 Miles away!

up here in the lake district there is not as much choice in a reasonable distance (less than 80 miles as the crow flies - though thats still a couple of hours plus drive away)

I may be coming to stoke though as there are couple in that area on website, and a lad from on here has one he is selling soon in that area. Don't feel as bad using a tank of petrol then!

Mountune Tractor
I would advise you to travel to see a few, I know it's a pain but it really will see you in a better car in the long run. If you settle for what's close to you then you could end up driving something you don't really want or isn't as good. I can understand your predicament though.
Good luck with finding something and don't take everything to heart re: the blue car, you won't get better advice anywhere on the web imo. We just like to do things the 'direct' way.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Thanks.

I think after what’s been said I need to cast my net wider and push the boat out if I really want one and a decent one.

The 'shed' was the first I'd seen in the flesh and although I knew some bits weren’t standard I wasn’t aware just how much had been mod=deed or "chavved", least know I know a bit more...