ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed. optimizing subwoofers best set up

Black Sheep
Need some advice from anyone who knows a bit about subwoofers ect. I currently have a half decent clarion head unit and running from that i have a vibe 10inch black air ported box with built in amp in the boot and I also have a pioneer compact subwoofer under my drivers seat and some 13cm alpines in the doors ect. Now I have managed to get it sounding mint a few times and then messed it up by trying to make it better ect. What i want to know is what freq should I be at as both my subs are adjustable and also what gain and phase. I mostly listen to deadmau5, pendulum, eddie halliwell, electic house ect. The bass at my head unit is adjustable in terms of freq, and also a number that goes from 1 to 2 (dont have a clue what it does) it is also has a number between 80-100 or something like that of the top of my head, I also dont know what this does. i know i can get this system sounding good and not have to touch it again so any advice would really be helpfull. The Bass i am really after is the low stuff you feel in your back ect but without it being at a stupidly high volume.

Corsa now :0
best thing to do is get some good quality subs, JL audio are the best ;) and get it all professionally fitted into a custom box with a HUGE 1200watt amp like mine. :) you will probably only be getting 150/200 watt out of a 'portable' sub and amp box on a good day.
149397_1679652357544_1424585969_31721150_5525674_n.jpg

Stripped yozza'd cup
Lol. I don't think 2 12'' jl audios is necessary lol.
I would definitely sell the stuff you have and buy 1 good sub, 1 good amp and some components though.

Quality, not quantity, always.

Just as a side note, gain is not the same as volume, your gains should be set once using a multimeter and left alone.

Frequency wise, it's only the cut off high pass / low pass filters that you can change, you really need a better designed enclosure, tuned to a frequency that you're happy with. I'd advise something like 32 / 33hz.

haha its amazing! Its best of both worlds!! QUALITY AND QUANTITY HAHA!!! those low bass notes make your teeth fall out haha! for a decent system your looking at £100 for a sub, £25 for sub box, £50 for amp, £20 for wiring kit.

Black Sheep
Nice set up lockey must sound minted if a bit impractical lol. I am not spending any money cause i have got other things on agenda ie yamha dt 125 supermotto for getting to work in summer save the fuel money on the 172 and a bit of extra fun lol, so i have to use the tools i have got.

Stripped yozza'd cup
haha its amazing! Its best of both worlds!! QUALITY AND QUANTITY HAHA!!! those low bass notes make your teeth fall out haha! for a decent system your looking at £100 for a sub, £25 for sub box, £50 for amp, £20 for wiring kit.

£50 for an amp??? Where are you doing your shopping???

I'd have said more like:

Sub £100
Amp £100 - £200
Enclosure - cost of a sheet of mdf
Wiring - £35

Unfortunately mate, it's not really possible to help you without being there. It's massively unlikely that anyone has used that same combination of equipment.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
best thing to do is get some good quality subs, JL audio are the best ;) and get it all professionally fitted into a custom box with a HUGE 1200watt amp like mine. :) you will probably only be getting 150/200 watt out of a 'portable' sub and amp box on a good day.
149397_1679652357544_1424585969_31721150_5525674_n.jpg

perhaps invest in an alarm aswell if you're going to have a set up like this!!!

and if you want teeth shattering bass,
i had an RE audio XXXv3 in a 4.5 cuft ported box tuned to 45hz
you struggle to read the numberplate of the car in front!!

HOWEVER!
as people have said,

gain is not volume, its to set the amp to the correct setting to work with the power supply and headunit. (believe it or not...not the sub!)
purchase subs that will go well with the amp and get a good 0awg wiring kit!

the 80-100 numbers will be your Frequency filter. (HPF/LPF)
this value will set what parts of the music the subs will play, everything over the set frequency is not played by the sub.
this will normally be a feature on both the amp and the headunit. just set the amp to a bit higher than the headunit and youll be fine
(id suggest around 80hz, perhaps go down to 50hz if this is too much)

i would strongly recommend JBL 1201.1 monoblock amp (1114wrms @ 2ohm IIRC)
if you can find them anymore, theyre about £90 and fantastic amps for the money.
if its got to be in the boot you may as well get a prefab box (but making your own is better)
then look into buying a good pair of subs.
if youre on an extremely low budget, JBL GT4's were renowed for the value for money and offered performance far higher than what it said on the tin, but once again, theyve long since been superseeded

haha i cant read matrix displays on motorways. and looking in my mirrors is just pointless. i parked next to my mates clio and i could hear his car panels vibrating haha i pissed myself