ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
First off i was wondering how often do you need to clay your car? From what i gather you should only polish your car every 6 months and wax every 2-4 months. So i was thinking would you only clay when you polish as the clay could remove your polish?

And av bought some products recently to start me off just wondering if y can give me some reviews on them.

Snow foam lance
Super snow foam
Zaino Z-7 shampoo
Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt
Waffle weave drying towel
SRP
LakeCountry hand polishing pad
Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze
Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax
Poorboy's Quick Detailer Plus
Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pad
Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad
Poorboy's Super Thick & Plush Towel
Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towels
Autoglym tar remover
Autoglym glass polish

Havnt started on wheel products am thinking of getting:

Megs high endurance gel
Bilberry wheel cleaner
Poorboys wheel sealant.

Am also after some clay but have no idea on what to go for.

Bumder With A Buffer
First off i was wondering how often do you need to clay your car? From what i gather you should only polish your car every 6 months and wax every 2-4 months. So i was thinking would you only clay when you polish as the clay could remove your polish?

And av bought some products recently to start me off just wondering if y can give me some reviews on them.

Snow foam lance Good
Super snow foam - Good
Zaino Z-7 shampoo - Good
Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt - Unsure
Waffle weave drying towel - s**t/Rubbish
SRP - Good at hiding swirls
LakeCountry hand polishing pad
Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze - Not used so cant comment
Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax - Not used so cant comment
Poorboy's Quick Detailer Plus - Not used so cant comment
Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pad - Okay
Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad - Very good
Poorboy's Super Thick & Plush Towel - Not used so cant comment
Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towels -Not used so cant comment
Autoglym tar remover - Good but Not the best
Autoglym glass polish - Not the best

Megs high endurance gel
Bilberry wheel cleaner
Poorboys wheel sealant.

My comments/review in bold.

You only need to clay a car maybe once a year..depends how much fallout gets onto the car. You can usually tell by running your hand over the paint and feeling for "dimples" or roughness (after cleaning/drying of course)

You dont "need" to polish every 2 months. If it is polished/corrected correctly and sealed up then you wont need to do it for a year depending on how well your wash technique is and you dont induce swirls.

Wax it depends on the type. Some waxes only last a month some can last a good 3-4 or even 6 months.

Reference your last bit..

Megs high endurance gel
Bilberry wheel cleaner
Poorboys wheel sealant.

Megs has too much sling for my liking.

Bilberry is good but there are other products better. I still have bilberry in my kit and like using it.

Poorboys wheel sealant is again very good. But so is Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine.

Snow foam lance - Good
Super snow foam - OK but check that it is a ph Neutral one so it doesn't strip waxes
Zaino Z-7 shampoo - Great but not the best IMO
Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt - Perfectly acceptable, I still use them
Waffle weave drying towel - Not keen, only good for pat drying
SRP - A great starter polish that will remove minor contaminants as well as filling swirls
LakeCountry hand polishing pad - Super - I use them
Poorboy's White Diamond Glaze - Very good at filling swirls on lighter colour cars, silvers etc
Poorboy's Natty's White Paste Wax - Excellent basic wax with great looks - however, it doesn't last
Poorboy's Quick Detailer Plus - I prefer Megs No;16, but that is most likely personal preference
Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pad - Basic, but nothing wrong with it
Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad - Still use these for the application of some waxes, although I prefer the German applicators
Poorboy's Super Thick & Plush Towel - I have/have had 100s of these, great product
Poorboy's Deluxe Mega Towels - As above
Autoglym tar remover - Perfectly acceptable, but Tardis
Autoglym glass polish - Again, good starter product, but by all accounts, GTechnic is better

Megs high endurance gel - It slings, save your money for Blackfire
Bilberry wheel cleaner - A great wheel cleaner, if you need it. Personally, warm soapy water works on mine as they are well protected
Poorboys wheel sealant. - Great product, lasts well - there are, however, other products out there which people will swear to

Clay wise, the Megs Quick Clay Kit is perfectly acceptable and widely available. However, the sonus grey/green clays are excellent and I use them with Meguirars Last Touch aka No:16.

Claying should be done no more than once a year if the car is well protected. Some people, including myself, do it more than once, purely as it's a habbit when I correct the paint work.

And just to put the products in order (you seem to have done already);

Pressure wash-snowfoam-rinse-wash-rinse-clay-wash-rinse-dry-polish-glaze-seal/wax.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Cheers just the comments i was looking for :) any recomendations for a trim detailer?

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
i have some auto glym tyre dressing, it is still looking glossy after a week :)

Most reviews av read dont rate autoglyms wheel and tyre products so am gonna go with something else. Just bought some fast glass heard its canny stuff. Ok now could you give me some advice on how to clean headlights? Like can you polish them or wax them? Or maybe even glass polish i have no idea.

Clio MK 4
i just use the cheap i4detailing clay bar with some water mixed with duragloss 101 shampoo as lubricant. works a treat! I clay it once a year and polish maybe twice a year. Blackfire tyre gel is really good for tyre dressing.

i have some auto glym tyre dressing, it is still looking glossy after a week :)

Do you mean the tyres look glossy, or your trim? The Vinyl and Rubber Care/Tyre Dressing are the same product with different Esters (the compounds that make different scents). It is an OK product on trim, but is only good for a day/show on tyres.

Most reviews av read dont rate autoglyms wheel and tyre products so am gonna go with something else. Just bought some fast glass heard its canny stuff. Ok now could you give me some advice on how to clean headlights? Like can you polish them or wax them? Or maybe even glass polish i have no idea.

When you say "clean headlights", do you have a hazing issue/are there scratches? Because cleaning wise you can just wash over them as with the rest of the body work. Prepping and sealing can be done with polish and sealents.

i just use the cheap i4detailing clay bar with some water mixed with duragloss 101 shampoo as lubricant. works a treat! I clay it once a year and polish maybe twice a year. Blackfire tyre gel is really good for tyre dressing.

It's the best :approve:

I add the usual amount that I would add to a bucket to a spray head bottle. So the mix is higher concentration than a wash bucket.

STEALTH RAIDER
I wudnt really use shampoo, all gloss enhanced washing products kill claybars imo. Synthetic detailing sprays are used for a reason!!! Dilution ratios are easier to use as you cant measure shampoo properley. Too much or too less can either give you a sloppy clay bar (going over the same area 3-4 times as pickup will be harder) or more work to correct after as there isnt enough gloss in your mix.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Hmmm ok don't think I would be able to use my shampoo anyways as it contain polishing ingredients