ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on setup

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Morning all,
On my last trackday I had 'bouncing' issues around slow(ish) corners loosing me loads of speed, had no issues with certain cars behind me on the straights but they were destroying me around corners as I just couldn't hold enough speed, when I tried to use more speed in/through them my car was bouncing around fairly badly and couldn't hold the speed. I'm not the best driver in the world by any means but can only assume I had my tyre pressures/dampening adjusted incorrectly.

Any advice please lads?

Cheers,
Dan

SQ5
What coilovers do you have? What's your camber and toe settings?

Was it the front bouncing or the rear?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
What coilovers do you have? What's your camber and toe settings?

Was it the front bouncing or the rear?

BC Racing coilovers, I know you hate them, but not alot of options for Cup hubs, plus you get ALOT for the money. These were set fairly hard, if not at max.

Tyres were fairly soft as well, can't remember the exact hot pressure, but seem to recall around the 28's, this is on RSR's.

Toe/Camber standard minus the added camber from lowering the car as you would expect, average joe tracking was done before the trackday.

Bouncing on the front from what I remember.

28psi hot?
They need more pressure, mine were set to 28.5psi cold and they were great. I'd try winding the damping back a little too, soft springs and little damping isn't great imo

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have the stiffer front spring setup but yes I agree perhaps they were a little stif!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You got em chap - They're brilliant aren't they on and off the track
FR 4.0kg/8.0kg RR = 220lb/450lb

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Shite, what do? Only bought these rates as they were branded as 'track' such a noob.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
IIRC you can buy pairs of springs for not-a-lot.. like £50 ? ..

Are you getting issues on the road with Tigger like bouncing..? Can only suggest you drop the damping down a few clicks perhaps and see what happens.... maybe the whole system is too firm..

Failing that - buy a new pair of fronts and sell those ones..

Tyre sidewall issues , loads of grip winding up the chassis which then loads and unloads the outside front tyre

Stiifer sidewalled tyres , more pressure would be 2 starters

However has the car been corner weighted

Is the hopping the same on left and right corners and what sort of speeds ;

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Mines stiffer than that mick (ooh er!) and it doesn't make the car skip.

I'm stiffer to but we're still talking suspension, right? Hehehe

We don't know what setup the car is running or the exact configuration either so it could be a combination of anything (too low, incorrect weight distribution, tyres, etc).

A proper geo setup is often overlooked but is also often the difference between a mediocre and a good car to drive.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm stiffer to but we're still talking suspension, right? Hehehe

We don't know what setup the car is running or the exact configuration either so it could be a combination of anything (too low, incorrect weight distribution, tyres, etc).

A proper geo setup is often overlooked but is also often the difference between a mediocre and a good car to drive.
Too many variables mate.

Agree totally

First thing after fitting shocks is full geo , then see how it behaves.

Then you can decide on how it feels and whats going on.

Working from an unknown base isnt an easy place to start

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I'll have a play at the next track day, hard to reproduce it on the roads tbh!

I have xl rsr's so it has the stiffer sidewalls, however I think they were to soft and everything else to stif!

I'm so good at this lol :) :) need to learn how to drive next ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Where are you based Mick and how much do you charge for a geo setup? Oh I've also lost my rear shims.... Was going to put the rear up slightly as the cars fairly flat atm, that or bring the front down but if I need to soften the front I might get some rubbing on my 205's rsr's if it's a lot lower

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Where are you based Mick and how much do you charge for a geo setup? Oh I've also lost my rear shims.... Was going to put the rear up slightly as the cars fairly flat atm, that or bring the front down but if I need to soften the front I might get some rubbing on my 205's rsr's if it's a lot lower
Micks in Nottingham mate.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

I can't do a full and proper setup just yet as the builders are just starting the office and build areas. After that (and when the bank account has recovered) I want to put in a proper flat patch.