ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please! Just bought 182 cup from dealer now furious

Clio 182
when i bought my 182 i had my two brothers look over it as well. hell, one was under the car looking at it.

would never buy a car by knowing only the body is in good condition. id rather have a car that is fully working properly with a few scratches.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, how do you not notice balled tyres when checking the bodywork is all mint:S?
As for the rest it sound normal ish. Bonnet should be fine with someone pulling it at the same time. Splinters are often missing.... You should ALWAYS take someone with you when buying for the 2nd opinion imo!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Very facepalm!

6931_635692796312_193107634_3915046.jpg

Gordini Blue Clio 182 Cup
Just got of phone with dealer - result! Two new front tyres, bonnet will be sorted and he is looking in to the exhaust. Anyone know prices for standard Renault exhausts fitted (roughly?). If the car is decat with whole new exhaust is it possible to have a cat retrofitted to make the exhaust cat back?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
So you basically want the dealer to compensate you for your stupidity?

I see the new forum hasn't got rid of the idiots.

Lol, how do you not notice balled tyres when checking the bodywork is all mint:S?
As for the rest it sound normal ish. Bonnet should be fine with someone pulling it at the same time. Splinters are often missing.... You should ALWAYS take someone with you when buying for the 2nd opinion imo!

The outer part of the tyre was fine it was the width/across the tyre that is worn down badly which was inside the arch not showing.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
is he supplying two OEM tyres=PE2's ?????
nah, the dealer will stick on two of the cheapest tyres he can source.

you can have my exhaust £300+£150 for the cat.......expensive? yep, but half of what a dealer will charge.

Question - is it a cup?

anything
leave the bloody exhaust , it will work out better for you long term tho glad to hear the result on the others , all the worry for nothing really

If he sources a used OEM exhaust and then removes the stainless one, you are actually worse off.

You should have checked under the bonnet! You never know what you might find under there. Bodged wiring with match sticks, mayo oil, perished belts etc etc.

You can't buy a car and then take it back and moan that the insulation tape on the loom is loose. Next time, look at a car, find these issues and then factor them into a reduction in price.

Honda & VW
i am puzzled, you say it has a k&n filter yet you are unable to open the bonnet?
surely the bonnet catch can be replaced by Renault FOC as they did a mass call back?

not being funny but i am baffled how you can hand over money for a car that you've not even checked the tyres on....

A.J

F360 BCGT 182
PMSL.

Sold as seen, I'm afraid.

No such thing when it comes to a trader mate, check trading laws ;)

If you've got a stainless exhaust on there and you want a standard one I'll do you a deal with mine. Pm me if you're interested. :)

LY 182 FF CUPPED
No such thing when it comes to a trader mate, check trading laws ;)

If you've got a stainless exhaust on there and you want a standard one I'll do you a deal with mine. Pm me if you're interested. :)

There is when he drove 60 miles before checking the condition of the car - and stated this on a public forum!!!
All of the above needs to be checked THOROUGHLY BEFORE LEAVING THE FORECOURT AND HANDING OVER CASH/SIGNATURE

Who is to say that in having difficulties with the "HEAVY CLUTCH AND HIGH BITING POINT" that he didn't wheelspin out of junctions for 59 miles?

So cynical planetx!

I've sorted it out now - dealer kindly agreed for me to return the car. Just dropped it off and will now commence the search for a new one. I have learnt my lesson and will look VERY thoroughly at the next one.

The exhaust was a Janspeed cat back one apparently.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
cynical?
awaits Revels to come and join in, buying a clio is the easy part - learning this forum.....you got your work cut out, be great to see some pics of your car.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
So you took it back?

Make sure you look over the next one, maybe take a friend who is a mechanic, if you have one.

Checking the car is mechanically sound is much more important than if it has a couple of scuffs on the bumper and a ding in the door.

What can I say? I was stupid. Grateful to the dealer who kindly allowed me to return it - he must have pitied me.

Nope similar spec/price though. Think I might be after a Trophy, will be giving myself a good bit of time to read up a bit - something I should have done prior.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
what was the dealer???
good idea to name them on here and help others be aware of buying from them - thats what this forum is all about, helping each other out - even in a cynical way.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Why should we avoid buying from them? They did nothing wrong, hell they took the car back off him! That sounds pretty good to me!

Yeah I won't be naming the dealer as it would be unfair on him - I couldn't have dealt with a nicer chap, he must have recognised my stupidity! He refunded me and took the car back no questions asked. I admit I was the stupid one who didn't do what I should have done before I bought it and checked it. Very happy with the service I received.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
not selling "straight cars"
until we read the advert, make our own minds up etc.
i am just interested to see how the car was sold_were the mods declared, bold tyres!!!
they took the car back because they were guilty, and saving hassle later down the line?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Apart from the tyres (which may still be legal, 1.6mm actually looks far from legal) there was nothing wrong with the car. Not many dealers are gonna put brand new tyres on a car (unless they are illegal) unless asked by the customer.

Clio 182ff
has it had the cambelt done? there's another £500 to add if it hasn't

THIS is the big one matey!!! A lot of people sell their clios on just before it needs doing because of the high cost involved in replacing. Forget the bonnet catch and tyres - if the belt goes you are bugg*red pal!

EDIT: Only just read that you took it back - lucky, lucky boy.

Last edited:
  LY 182 FF CUPPED
I would still name the fecckers, after all they are dealers, hardly anything secret lol
they are happy to rob our pockets.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The exhaust was a Janspeed cat back one apparently.

Sounds like the dealer has been OVERLY helpful there to me - really gone out of their way. I would have taken it back for the bonnet cable alone, but probably not have the cheek to mention the tyres, if I hadn't done so before buying it. :)

As for the Janspeed - keep it. I have one on mine after the original Reno one finally went at around 60k. The Reno ones are heavy, puny looking, made of cheese, expensive and have the acoustic arousal of a mildly muted wet fart. If you want your spanking new purchase to look (and sound) like a 1.2 with a pair of Halfords pipes attached the rear, then by all means - try to acquire an original backbox.

Personally, I'd rather double-check that the cambelt has been done and if not, put the funds towards that. Like now. As in yesterday.

D.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Just read this entire thread, too funny.

By the sounds of it you never even test drove the car before you bought it, never mind looked under the bonnet.
And tyres etc? SURELY you'd check them. The basics of buying ANY car.

As per your title, I too would be 'furious' if I had the stupidity to buy a car because it was shiny and not inspect any further.

If I were you, I'd do a search for the 172/182 buyers guide on here. I used it when buying mine.
Either that, or as mentioned above seek advice from someone on here.

God I love this forum.

haha I cant believe he took it back!! :D The guy i bought my car off pretty much went through everything with me. The car was mint though. Anyway good luck on your next purchase, im sure you have learnt your lesson. And yeah a Trophy would be sweet! you can pick a good one up for around 6k now.

BMW E46 330i Touring
With a budget of £5,200, spend £10 of it on becoming a member on here and then get in the classifieds section. There's a load of 182's on there in various guises...