ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice when viewing a Cup?

I have found a really decent looking 172 Cup which i hope to go and view this week.

Can a experienced member give me some tips on it and maybe look over the ad for me? If so give me a PM please.

I know about the normal service history, Belts, Dephaser pulley noise to look out for. Anything on different on cups you should look out for?

Cheers
Jay

Having just bought a tidy 172 cup myself (Sunday just gone! - click here)

Obvious things it should have if a Cup:
- Splitter
- Cup spoiler
- Door pillar stickers reading "172 Cup"
- Turinis

Often the stickers and splitter go missing.

It wouldn't be hard to make it look like a Cup, so ask to see the V5 where the car is marked as a "172 cup".

Then I guess you'd do your regular checks:
- Service history (Belts & mileage most importantly)
- Exhaust rust (common on the 172 standard exhausts)
- Any unusual knocks, bumps, whistles, grinds, ticks when driving.
- I also had my GF rev the car whilst I checked the engine for mount wear, as this is also common.
- Treads
- Bodywork
- Lights, wipers, washer jets, horn and all the buttons that make stuff work, work

A HPI would be wise too as these cars have no ABS and a lot have been crashed.

Hope this helps get you started!

Well it's bought anyway needs a Cambelt, Aux belt & Dephaser so that's going straight in to get done.

Rear discs & pads need doing soon but that easy enough, other than that not a bad buy.

172 Cup
Search for the number plate on here to see if you can find out some history that the seller doesn't know/won't tell.