ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice: Whistle sound from 182?

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
I've had my 182 since saturday and today I've noticed a whistling noise coming from the engine when I boot it (starts about 3500 revs) when the engine is taking in more air. Sounds a bit like when you turn on a gas tap..

Is this normal? As some of you know my last car was a Daewoo so not used to performance cars.

Don't get me wrong it sounds nice but just want to be sure.

80MPG BEEZA
there is a natural whistle to the car stand car idle open your window and rev car a little bit and you'll hear a slight whitsle but i have a problem with my 172 when i'm in 4th and 5th doing between 50-60mph i get a different whistle any slower or faster and you cant hear it?

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Yeah I heard that in a carpark 2day, thats quite high pitched. This is a bit louder and very noticable.

80MPG BEEZA
yea i need advice on this when i converted mine its was doing it really loud on the motorway home after 2 hours it started 2 jump out of gear i only drove the car short journeys for the fortnight after then going upto TRAX it was jumping out again i turned home after driving for an hour just as i got home the gearbox locked up - following this i've replaced it with a brand new 172 box i do the odd quick motorway trip but it still makes a small whistle between 50-60mph but it has never jumped out i make sure thee gearbox oil is well topped up, i keep thinking what it maybe like clutch release cable or something i cant figure it out?

Mini Cooper S sport
Usually it's the hole in the wing mirror - on one side there's the temp sensor, on the other there's a hole which whistles!

Doesn't sound like yours is the same thing though...

Boxster S
Make sure your windows are fully closed too. If they are slightly 'open' they whistle. I seen that happen to somebody before though I'm not saying who... (girlfriend) lol

80MPG BEEZA
nah i know which whistle he means hard to describe though a friend said to me it cud be a bearing on that drive but its weird getting the same whistle after replacing the gearbox with a brand new one

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Definitely from under the bonnet, I'm sure its somthing to do with the air intake.

80MPG BEEZA
best thing to do is go for a drive now get it so u can hear the whistle and dip you clutch in and see if the noise goes as soon as u dip the clutch

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Its under heavy acceleration, when you lift off it stops. Its going into reno next week I'll get them 2 check it out, just didn't want a spanner monkey to say "Its ment to do that.. Its a sports car.." and fell a right plank.

80MPG BEEZA
well if it goes into reno get back to me i need to find out what this noise is as i'v got a load of money saved up for tuning now and i just dont wana tune it over 200bhp and it goes bang again

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Induction Kit. There's no IK fitted, I've checked the air filter seems ok.

Da

Less
are all breather hoses etc correctly attached to the air intake? I'm clutching at straws really... :eek:

Da

Less
Batman said:
i've got a silicone bend and a carbon induction fitted
so it's open, and not enclosed? Open IK's give a distinctive whistle sometimes, especially after the 3000rpm mark.

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Reply to breather hoses question.. Yeah as far as I can see, its only done 3500k. One for reno I think.

downs523 said:
i have a high pitch wistle coming from top centre of my windscreen when going around 100+ mph

I have the same with my car, I thought it was air coming through a small gap in the rubber around the windscreen?

Renaultsport Clio 182
Mine makes a whistle when pushed and so does my friends, it sounds like no other car but as 2 do it Im not too worried.

80MPG BEEZA
this one is distinctive though if i dont push it in fourth gear you wont hear it, but when i'm accelerating in 5th when it hits 50mph-ish the noise comes in then dies away at 60mph? i'm only worried as the last gearbox went bang on me but that was proper loud and cud have been due to lack of gearbox oil but its that fact that the garage hasnt said thats what it definitely was that that i'm abit errr i mean i've done 130mph in it and its been fine can do my 0-60 in 6 secs so it isnt effecting performance i'm lost to it really

172 ff
ive noticed a whistle (almost as prominant as a turbo whistle) on my 182, when reving the engine i can hear a high pitch thin whistle, sounds like a turbo but i think its the fuel pump, anyone shed some light on this?

80MPG BEEZA
thats just a natural whistle every 172-182 seems to have that sounds abit like a lame dump valve were on about a whistle that becomes prominant when in gear and driving at certain revs