ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Affordable insurance for an 18 y/o on a modified Clio 172?

Hi,

Just to let you know first off, I don't really have any hopes of getting affordable insurance nor do I need it but thought I may aswell check to see, just in case. I'm in the process of building my track car and will be trailering it to and from the track. The main reason for trailering is simply because there is no where that I can seem to find that offer anywhere near reasonable insurance for a modified car (roll cage, buckets, harnesses, stripped out). I would absolutely LOVE to be able to drive my Clio around, stuck with my Citroen C4 VTR for now though!

Figured I'd give it a shot and see if anyone know anywhere where it could be even remotely affordable? All quotes so far have been £10,000+, even with my dad on the policy, and even with him as the main driver and me as an additional. Would be willing to go to about £2500 if necessary. I'm 18 and when I get it insured it would be with 1 years no claims.

Cheers.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi,
Whilst we probably could get you a quotation most of our modified car schemes start for drivers aged 19 and over I'm afraid.
Regards,
Dan.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Thread title is a fantasy lol.
Insurance will be expensive get as many quotes as you can and good luck.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

ClioSport Trader
  Renault 5
Hi Matt,
As mentioned before most of our modified insurers schemes only really offer cover for those over 19 years old. I'd say give us a try when your 19 yrs old and hopefully with a couple of years no claims bonus under your belt. Unfortunately attempting to put the cover in your parents name is considered 'fronting' and most insurers are well aware of who the main driver will be and decline to quote on that basis.
I hope that this helps.
Dan

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
LV will actually allow it. You can have a main driver who isn't the policy holder. When I first started driving it was £3k + for me to insure a 1 litre 3 cylinder corsa. Put the car in my dad's name, policy in his name and me as the main driver saw that drop to £1700. Granted we were able to use his no claims bonus from his works vehicle.

But mods on that would have been expensive.