ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AFR (Air fuel mixture) on mod.

Anyone have the difference in AFR before and after replacing the catback system alone? How about for the cone type air filter? I'm planning for the mod. and see if I need to fine tune the AFR in order to release full power of the mod. I need the data as I dislike guess work. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply BenR. My car is in full stock and would like to estimate the direction which AFR shift after replacing the catback system. It will aid planning my future mod package. Thanks.

Rb 182
surely the engines closed loop lambda control will correct any fuelling discrepancys and after its been driven for a few miles and the ecu's learned the fuelling will be fine again...

there is pretty much no way of fine tuning AFR on modern engines short of getting something like a unichip fitted (or any other fully programmable ecu), even an adjustable regulator is like fine tuning with a 2lb sledgehammer its that clumsy

just let the ecu do its job and you'll be fine

Thanks for your reply. In close loop mode, it will correct the fueling by itself but I'm talking about if there's any change in AFR if it's running in open loop mode. Thanks in advance.

the engine runs closed loop permanently at low throttle angles and rpm.

Its WOT and high rpm you have to worry about.

2005 Nissan Navara
As has been stated the ECU will pull fuelling back to stoich on cloosed loop lambda, but the ECU will run open loop lambda above a certain load/speed boundary, and take a preset fuelling algarithymn for maximum power (where lambda=0.88, NOT 1 (stoich)). But as Ben has told you, the AFR of your engine must be checked by YOU....its no good comparing it to another clio, even of the same spec. you need to check and adjust YOUR car accordingly....

I know it's different from car to car but I would like to have reference to someone who did this mod. and measured the AFR for such changes. I fully understood how ECU work. Please advice.

2005 Nissan Navara
well wot does it matter even if you have a reference?? the mapping will still have to be adjusted live, and so it will inevitably be mapped specificaly for your engine. i.e. if someone comes on here now and says their engine was at lambda=1.1 at max engine speed/load (with the same mods), YOU are still going to map it to max power....

Thanks for your reply. I know it should be remapped to provide the best AFR after every mod and my question is, anyone replaced the catback system only and measure the AFR? If it will mess up the AFR a lot, then I will give up. Of course, I can measure it up by myself and I have wide-band sensor too. Why I ask this question, the reason behind is that I don't want to buy it and measure it. I want to know in advance and I can make judgement on whether I should go for it.

Dear Stan, million thanks for your reply but I think you don't understand what I'm trying to ask. I know it should be remap after changing intake or exhaust. I just want to ask for the reference AFR after replacing the catback system alone. No more, no less. I know different car behave differently but I don't think same model car with same mode can run very rich and on the other hand, very lean. There should be problem on them.

i dont think anybody has data logged an AFR curve for just an exhaust, and i dont see reason to for so little really.

2005 Nissan Navara
i understand fully mate, but i think if someone had such data they would have stepped forward by now.

BenR, I don't think so. Changing either intake or exhaust will make difference in AFR. Even changing the size of the backbox will make a difference too. I have wideband lambda sensor and play with AFR for over 2 years.
In my experience, on Lancer Evolution, changing the catback system alone will not gain any performance, loss sometimes without AFR fine tuning. See if it will happen on clio too. Thanks

Changes are minute, and yes we all know about the effects of modifications on AFR's.

However, some are so non-influential that testing isnt required, especially with the majority of half arsed exhasuts on the market. If you stuck something remarkable on and it was of good design, then maybe it'll change the afr's enough to require remapping at the cost it stands.

As for evo's, if you look at the stupid systems they have as std, its no winder they do gain significant bhp when you swap the exhausts.

Agree !! I owned EVO for 3 years and play her as a testing platform. I owned Clio RS MKII for 2 years and still know a little bit on it. So I would like to seek for advice from the expert like you. I don't want to guess, I only trust the fact.
Before, I tried Jetex backbox replacement, it really gain from low end to high end. After that, I tried decat pipe with silencer, and I was not happy with the setup. Now, I run full stock exhaust and feel happy with it. Not as happy as that with Jetex backbox but keep the car low profile.
How about if I change the decat alone on the stock system? What gain I expect? Will it damage the mid-pipe due to emission? Please advice.

will what damage what?

LIke i said, the only way is to stick your own wideband on, you could of had it on by now since this thread started and you'd have your answer.

BenR said:
will what damage what?

LIke i said, the only way is to stick your own wideband on, you could of had it on by now since this thread started and you'd have your answer.

I had the wideband lambda sensor but I don't have the catback system in hand. I will buy it if I know the lambda result. IF I have it in hand, I don't think I need to ask a question here.

this is going round in circles.

How can we tell you the change in fueling from an exhaust that you dont have and that nobody has data logged?

Only way is for you to check, and the change from and exhaust, especially those avaiable is very very small.

Hundreds of people are running exhausts, i wouldnt worry, buy it, then check with yur wideband........dont be paranoid.

My question is that if someone had datalog on the captioned change. If no, no problem. I may consider install one and report it there for your reference.

stan, my question is "I want to know the change in AFR after replacing the catback system" but not "Is it neccessary to remap the ECU after replacing the catback system".