ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After a mk2 Clio Diesel, any advice??

clio 182
Hi guys,

Im after a run about that's cheap but want a nice spec. im only after a mk2 for no more than £2000.

what is the best mk2 diesel? engine size etc

and what extras do they come with and what should I look for :)

cheers

330i. E30 Touring.
I've got a DCi 80 and it's brilliant.

Nippy little thing, but returns fantastic MPG!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
have you used google?

About 65 combined. Have seen 90 on a run and 50 with my foot not leaving the floor on a long motorway drive.

Very reliable.

65 is £30 tax a year

80 is £20 and more efficient.

Things to look out for are standard Clio things like leaking sunroofs, washer jets, make sure the imobiliser light doesn't stay on or flashes (try turning the key a number of times incase it's intermitant., make sure everything works.

Standard things will be the suspension being a bit loud over bumps. New top mounts fix.

Don't worry about mileage too much but make sure it's had frequent oil changes. They want for very little but I do a whole lot filters and fluids change when I buy DCIs as the people that run them are cheap skates normally and thus run them with the same mindset (cliosport owners exempt)

Check if there is a misfire as injectors are about £100 a go.

Cambelt is due at 70k.

For spec I'd get a dynamique as they come with everything. Some models don't have electric mirrors (not heated either), external temp, trip computer or interior display. Depends on whether ph2 or ph3 which ones come with what. PH3s come without a sunroof on some models.

DCI100 parts can be expensive so 80 or 65 is a safe bet as spares are easy to come by.

clio 182
^^ thanks very much, exactly what I was after. would of taken me hours on google and wouldn't of been as clear as that. I'll look for DCi 80 then I think.

Many.
My DCi is on 170k and is still running sweet. Give them all a test drive, foot hard down in 3rd to 3.5k and keep an eye for dash lights flashing or lacking power, if so, walk away, it'll need injectors/pump, not cheap.

Always look for the best spec one you can, aircon is a must for me now.

Just normal things when buying a car tbh.

clio 182
ive got a 182 turbo stored in the garage and I stupidly bought an audi 1.8T sport petrol as a run about!! I make some stupid choices. need to get something economical and I like clios so might aswell get a dci, didn't realise how cheap they cost to run :) been looking at the DCi's Dynamique's on about 70k and ther around £2000, cant go wrong :) gona look out for one with all the extras, climate control etc and get rid of the german

clio 182
seen one i like, electric windows, electric sunroof but no climate control. realy want all 3 but its cheap and in good nick. is it hard to install the climate control???

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Always be mindful of the fact that just cause its a cheap car now, it doesnt mean if will be cheap if the pump packs up and knackers the injectors.

Slightly different vehicle, but very similar principle, Im just in the middle of a 3 grand freshen up for my 2 grand T4 van, the vehicle getting cheaper with age doesnt mean the bits do!

I'd go for a golf TDI, at £2k you would get a good 130bhp one, its a much more solid car, however the clio dCI seems to be around £1200-£2000 so i guess you could save money on the purchase price? I'm running a 306 Diesel atm and the mpg is awesome, saving me a small fortune!

clio 182
Got my mind set on a clio now but im rubbish with being patient. looked evrywere and cant seem to find the one i want with the right spec, colour, mileage etc :(

I had a DCI65, it was fine for daily running, its not gonna feel quick if your jumping out of a 1.8T, but as a run around its perfectly capable!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I wouldn't get a golf because of the increased tax and DMF issues on cars around the 2k mark.

I have retrofitted climate control. Have a look at this and you'll decide you don't want to do it! http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?720172-DCI-65-pov-spec-commuter-OEM

My 65 is a little slow but not too bad. It does a ton if needed. Intercooler makes a difference and Alex really rates his decat but I'm yet to do that!

This has had new pump and injectors and is in an insanely rare spec. Only ever seen 2 for sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...6455642?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c3dd507da

Many.
That Initial is a banging buy, once you get the horrible interior swapped out.

65's are slow, similar performance to a 1.2 Clio. Decatted, intercoolerl, and should you feel like it, remaped, and you'll get decent performance. Mine, decatted and intercooled, 77hp, with a remap it should be around 90/100. Not bad for a 170k 65hp!

I retrofitted Climate, but I bought a loom from a car with Climate etc, much easier, but still lots of work, and hard to find the correct wiring loom to start with.

I love my car.

clio 182
think il forget the retro fitting. id like it but its not the end of the world, il keep an eye out for one with climate control but would buy one without if the rest of the spec and car was good

Many.
150k is nothing.

Mines on 170k, I bought it on 143k, ragged the f**k out of it for 27k and its always come back for more. Still on factory clutch, turbo, head gasket and gearbox. Had replacement injectors and pump at 143k, only had water pump changed at 150k (due to leakage).

Worry more about condition than miles, as if the cars been looked after, a high miles car will be the better car.

330i. E30 Touring.
There's a reason it's rare, it's because it's ugly.

Re: miles, I wouldn't worry. My 80 is on 180k, and runs really well still. I had to stick a clutch in it, but it's good as gold now!

Economy:

jebavy4e.jpg

me2a4asy.jpg

Pulls pretty well for a cheapy little daily bus too.

Many.
There's a reason it's rare, it's because it's ugly

Wheels and interior aren't nice, but due to the rest of the spec, I'd pick one of those anyday over another.

Interior for a 5door clio will be pence, some 1*2 seats if you fancy it. 1*2 wheels to finish it off.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
150k wouldn't be marvelous on the original injectors and pump but that one has had both replaced so is ready to do another 150K no problems. I would buy that if I had the money. Probably going to be a bargain as well because, like you, people will worry about the 150k.

Injectors and pump and main expense and they are sorted so all other problems are pennies to fix.

Mine is now on 127k and gets ragged everywhere with no hiccups. My other one is on 156k has only had 2 injectors replaced and still runs top notch.

As said. I'd chop the interior but they are seriously high spec and exactly what you're after and you need not do anything, xenons!!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
"Had new injectors and pump" from a seller is only as good as the invoice. Swapping a secondhand set on only buys you a bit more time. Needs to be new really. Or at least a reputable recon.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Agree chip but a pop of the bonnet would almost guarantee if it's a new one or not. Injector pipes start to look old pretty quickly and pip and injectors get grubby, it's a diesel!

clio 182
that ones to far from me anyhow. thers one fairly local to me on 75k, dynamique 5door but not first choice colour and missing a few extras. dont no weva to compramise. seen a good one last night but got put off when it said climate control, elec window/sunroof but on the pic i clearly wasnt climate control and the guy started txting me like Ali-G so im gona give that one a miss :/

clio 182
can somrone check this out and tell me wat they think. its on gumtree ID 1052639520. it says climate comtrol but it has the dials but apart from that it could be good?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah looks okay. Just make sure it's not written off or been in an accident as it's Gumtree, advertised with recaro style seats as well which isn't the kind of thing a normal DCI driver would put.

"All trims present" that's a weird thing to put.

Very cheap for what it is though so I'd be a little suspect.

Hasn't got cruise like advertised either, has got auto wipers and light though

clio 182
il do a hpi on it. ive been txting him and told him about the climate cotrol and he agreed but said it had all 4 elec windows and elec sunroof. i thought the same about some of what hes written. i asked if it was all standard and he said yes. plus cambelt and cluth receipts. no cruise control is a bugger! want that realy. cheap tho?!?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not that hard to retro fit cruise on a 172, so probably not an issue on the DERV either, although Ive not done it personally, but if so that stops it being a deal breaker.

Many.
Cruise if it's got the wiring is easy (same as 172) if it hasn't got the wiring, it's a pig.

I'm pretty certain you won't find a Dci with it specced from factory.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I don't think it was an option at all from factory. Some very late initiale models came with cc.

change loom if cc not present. Took me a while to retrofit