ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Aftermarket' warranties for gearbox

RS197
So I've noticed the fear inducing grind when going into 3rd at high revs. I really don't want to be spending stupid amounts of money when the time inevitable comes. I've had a look into warranties, the policy I'm looking at reads as following:

(including automated manual gearboxes, automatic gearboxes, four wheel drive transfer gearboxes, hybrid transaxles, manual gearboxes and transaxles.)

Automatic transmission brake bands & clutches & modulator valves, drive chains, gearlever, gears, hydraulic gear-shift governors & internal servos & valve blocks, internal bearings & bushes, oil pumps, selector forks, shafts (all, including extension shafts), synchromesh hubs and rings and torque converter.

The following parts are not covered:
Mountings, external hoses and pipes and any part not specifically listed above as covered.

Would that cover the issues commonly associated with the 197? The policy is 640 for the year. Is it likely to fail within this time bearing in mind I've just started getting the issue?

Would appreciate you technical heads' input

f**k paying £640 for that.

Put £640 aside to get the box removed and rebuilt and you'd probably still have change.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
These warranties only cover failure too.

Sounds silly I know, but you might not be happy with it crunching or missing a gear from time to time, so you take it to one of the warranty companies approved merchants and they say "It still works". Then you're stuck with a knackered box until it actually pops.

You'll be far better off just having it rebuilt by someone like Agency- do it sooner rather than later and you can enjoy the fresh box, instead of doing it as a job to do before you sell.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
These warranties only cover failure too.

Sounds silly I know, but you might not be happy with it crunching or missing a gear from time to time, so you take it to one of the warranty companies approved merchants and they say "It still works". Then you're stuck with a knackered box until it actually pops.

You'll be far better off just having it rebuilt by someone like Agency- do it sooner rather than later and you can enjoy the fresh box, instead of doing it as a job to do before you sell.

Father in law had the exact thing with a wheel bearing.

They said it hasn't failed yet, his response was "so you're saying I should drive around with a lot of play in my bearing..."

They strangely changed their mind and paid out

Track 172 Cup
As said above save the £640 and that will cover the cost of removing and having it rebuilt by someone who you choose (i.e agency) not some random garage who is cheapest chosen by the insurance/warranty people

Listerine & Poledo
The claim times.
the exclusions
the pattern parts.

All of this adds up to a "nah, you're alright mate" from me.

As said, you're not far off of just buying a box outright once all fees are added up. Besides, by the time 3rd can't even be accessed by rev-matching you may well be sick of the car anyway, time to chop it in

O
£660 for a brand new gearbox here http://www.renault-spares.co.uk/new...00-20-16v-gearbox---tl4-024-tl4024-7330-p.asp

£20 more than your warranty, but it WILL fix the problem, whereas the warranty may not.
only issue with that place for anyone who lives anywhere other than the Midlands, for warranty, you have to return it to them. I have customers from Cornwall, how am I supposed to say to them, ah yeh that's a warranty job, but you now need to take it to The Midlands for it to be inspected!