ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air Con Clutch? What/Where?

Citroen DS3 White
What is it? Is it like a normal clutch?

If it was going wrong would it fill my cabin with a burning smell when I switch on the AC? Cos I have thatz.

Citroen DS3 White
I had it on for months then at the weekend switched it off for a while, (windows down and system up). Switched it back on and ...smell....

RS CLIO 197
mmmm thought the a/c compressor clutch is an electromagnetic clutch as it has an electrical feed to it - press the switch and a electrical winding pulls the hub in to engaugement that the reason for the loud "click" when its switched on

Citroen DS3 White
I see.

Any other suggestions of the source of the 'burning'?

Really dont want to take it Renault but looks like it might have to, pain in the arse with having to rip the dash out. £££ :(

RS CLIO 197
are you sure its a "burning" smell - a/c systems can create a breeding ground for bacteria which makes funny smells if its not used for a while thats why they sell those canisters you let fill the interior with chemicals and put the a/c on recirculate - it draws in the chemicals to the heater matrix/heat exchanger and it this kills the bacteria - hence no smells

the compressor is in the engine bay driven by the auxillarly belt (fan belt)

Citroen DS3 White
I'm pretty sure its a burning smell, a bit like when you switch on a home radiator/heater after it being off a while and the dust burns. Will have another whif later though.

I have heard about the AC 'bombs' on here so might give it a go, will do no harm.

All good fun.