ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con electrical problem

Clio Sport xxx
Hi,

Just been to get my air con regassed at a local garage as the a/c pump didnt appear to switch on when you hit the a/c button. It turns out that the a/c system was fine and reasonably air tight. The problem is something electrical! :dead: The pump it self is fine as they managed to force it to turn on by doing something with the relays, they suggested it could be a pressure switch or even just a broken wire somewhere.

What im wondering is, should I take it to a garage to fix or try doing it myself? If it's a common fault then I would just do it myself. Has anyone had the same problem?

Any help much appreciated! Cheers

172 Race Car
If you bridge the pressure switch and the compressor clutch clicks then its either the pressure switch faulty or low gas level.

The pressure switch stops the relay activating the clutch if the pressure is low (so you dont shag the compressor)

Make sure you have a feed at the relay from the dash switch

Clio Sport xxx
Well the garage regassed it so it's not that. I can't remember what he said he bridged to force it to kick in (i thought it was a relay or something), perhaps it was the pressure switch he bridged?

Where is this pressure switch we're talking about? Is there only the one switch it can be? Any ideas on cost of a replacement?

Cheers

172 Race Car
Surpsprised the garage didnt sort it for you.

But I guess they charged you for a re-gas anyway? Di they say how much gas the recovered from it in the first place?

Clio Sport xxx
yeh they just charged for a normal air con service, £35 - they removed about 600g of gas, held it under vacuum for 15 mins, then added about 700g of gas, so nowt much wrong with the pressure system.

He said if I wanted them so sort it I would have to book it in with them again, he reckoned he needed it for another hour, or more, saying it could be anything.....:S

I want to go about this in the cheapest possible way (spent a small fortune on my car this year so far!!). What do you suggest? Perhaps ordering the pressure switch myself and see if they will fit it and recharge the system for another £35?

Clio Sport xxx
Can anyone tell me where this pressure switch is located and how I can test if it is that which is the fault?

Also, anyone know how much they are to replace?

172 Race Car
Im not sure where the pressure switch is but should be easy to spot. Will be in one of the pipes cant remember what side of the system now, its been quite a few years since i worked on A/C.

You can bridge the switch and the A/C compressor should work then.

look at all the pipes and find one with an electrical conection,

Looks like it will take some work to have a look there

4667119816_275ce9075e_b.png

Its almost laughable the workshop manual mentions the torque for it but not where the switch is. My air-con is intermittent, its been re-gassed with no leaks. So I'm assuming its either the relay (which sounds when you press the AC button) or the pressure switch.

Clio 172
This was what was wrong with mine.

Pressure switch is screwed into the condensor behind the grill somewhere - can't remember which side it is.

It can be removed and fitted without a regas (did mine without a regas, there is a Schrader Valve behind it) and it has a 3 pin plug plugged into it.

I think it was about £35 from Renault :)

Clio Sport xxx
This was what was wrong with mine.

Pressure switch is screwed into the condensor behind the grill somewhere - can't remember which side it is.

It can be removed and fitted without a regas (did mine without a regas, there is a Schrader Valve behind it) and it has a 3 pin plug plugged into it.

I think it was about £35 from Renault :)

Thanks for the info mate! If you can change it without a regas then thats very pleasing news! Did you do it yourself? Easy job / time consuming?

May seem a silly question, but what is the best way to go about 'bridging' the switch to test if it is at fault? I have no idea how accessible it is or what kind of connection it is...

Last edited:
Its on the right hand side. If you look at the front right hand side next to the bonnet switch, peer over into the engine bay underneath roughly where the bonnet switch, you can just see the 3 wires going into the back of the sensor.

Ended up taking out the airbox to get a better angle on it. Cleaned mine up first of all to see how I get on.

Clio Sport xxx
Just been thinking, when I had it regased the guy forced the aircon to kick in by bridging the relay, not the pressure switch. Would this mean the relay is at fault and not the switch?

Clio 172
I got one out of Renault for £40 I swear.

You can't bridge it because its 3 pin so you can't short it out.

172 Race Car
A: Not nessisarily. If a relay is bridged all it proves is that the circuit from the main use to the compressor is working. It doesnt test the relay or the switch

Clio Sport xxx
well £170 later I finally have air con! Its a welcome relief with the recent weather we've had. Ended up just taking it to an autoelectrician to diagnose and repair - £60 labour £110 for the switch!:dead: