ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air Induction Kit - Which For 172

R

rich[182]

Currently planning some basic mods for when I pickup new 172
in mid november, only want to carry out 100% reversible mods
that can be put back easily at short notice, need help on below

Air induction kit - which one ? ps not paying £250 for Viper !!

As Im not touching the exhaust ideally I want the loudest air
induction kit there is, but also good filtering and one that
does free up the throttle response and revving.

Been looking at Ramair kits which appear to allow the cold air
feed pipe to enter the opening at the top of the filter rather
than just butting up to the outside of the filter - Anyone any
experience on ramair ? sound ? work ?

Also Quikshift - they look amazing - any thoughts ?

Pipercross, K&N, Green, Jetex ????

Ive read about "open" kits dont work due to heat within the
engine bay, what if I had 3 or 4 cold feed pipes surrounding the
filter ?

Are foam filters (Ramair,Pipercross) louder than cotton gauze
ie K&N and Green ?

Notice K-Tec have a polished stainless pipe for there ram air
kit, Do you reckon I could purchase this on its own and fit
a cone filter of my choice to it

Any help would be great

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Dont bother get a £50 (max) panel filter

if not i have a pipercross one that would proably fit £30

Yup, go for a panel filter, or, if you want the noise, get an open induction kit and locate it in front and slightly down from the battery. This works very well too and sounds brilliant.

I managed to get 3 air feeds from under the car to just behind the passenger headlamp where I located a K&N airfilter with a home made heat shield.

dont bother with an induction filter just fit a panel filter the best mode in my opinion are uni chip and the suspension and brakes i had a quick shift fitted to day just do it go to k-tec in dorset

dont bother with an induction filter just fit a panel filter the best mode in my opinion are uni chip and the suspension and brakes i had a quick shift fitted to day just do it go to k-tec in dorset

R

rich[182]

Whats the best panel filter then for helping breathing, throttle response
and pickup ? I assume none of them make a difference to induction noise ?

Can someone please explain why "open" induction kits are not worth it, even if you run 3 or 4 cold air feed pipes to them

Is it that you still get a drop in power at the expense of noise, surely you
will only get heat buildup when stood or in slow moving traffic and even then
only 2-3bhp drop ??

Ramair kit has a feed pipe that enters the actual filter so surely this will
give loads of direct cold air.

cheers

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

If you get an open filter and get a couple of good cold air feeds on there then it wont be too bad on the move...

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 29 September 2003

If you get an open filter and get a couple of good cold air feeds on there then it wont be too bad on the move...
Want to see my 0-60 times from AP22 with K&N in engine bay compared to relocated and standard airbox?! An open filter in the 172 does cost performance.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 29 September 2003

Want to see my 0-60 times from AP22 with K&N in engine bay compared to relocated and standard airbox?! An open filter in the 172 does cost performance.

Yeah, I remember...

Cant believe how fast Chriss (aka chris n nic) Cup runs the 1/4 mile (14.4) with just an R-Sport ECU, an open filter and with full interior!

Doesnt seem to slow his Cup down!

Regarding Chrisnnics Cup, they had the bonnet open right after each run up until the next run. Not practical in normal road use to keep an open filter cool! They could get a better time with a sealed kit for sure. Id put money on it (if only I ever had any!)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 29 September 2003

Regarding Chrisnnics Cup, they had the bonnet open right after each run up until the next run.
Thats a good idea though, I used to do that with the 306 and I had a panel filter on that...

Keeping all the engine as cool as possible will help out and you arent normally queued up for that long then expected to do a drag style standing start on the road!

Nippy white cup

Stop giving out my trade secrets!!! lol

Might get a GTiR bonnet scoop to aid cooling. No holes tho, just stuck on the bonnet with silicon!

R

rich[182]

thanks for replies, i might hold off anyway for now as i might run new car for 2k before considering changing anything, also i know k-tec are currently testing some new IK and sounds like hillpower also so might see if they have any improved kits etc that resolve the heat-buildup issue

I fitter the Green panel filter. Very slight raise in inducton noise (not much) but the car feels a little more responsive.