ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air noise on low revs and few other problems clio 51 1.2

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hello Guys I am new here I am stuck not sure what is wrong with car.
when car was idle traffic lights etc I was getting error light on also when car was standing still on idle light came on engine went in to limp mode After Two minuets .
I changed coil pack over nothing light was on reset it. I got some one to rev car really gentle and noticed an air noise I put ear near map sensor and it sounded like it was from that so I replaced it error light was gone:clap: Went out in car last night and it drove ok got to traffic lights and engine light came back on I still have the woosh noise. Reset error code car drove fine I could smell something but not sure what it was this was while car was in ecu limpmode.cant smell it in normal mode I have some sludge on sides of oil filler and cap but I have heard this is normal on short trips. Also checked dipstick and nothing just oil there. My air filter did break bolts would not fasten from front as brass thinks were stuck in front so I bolted from back. I am not sure whats wrong with it now car does have very slight shake but seams to run ok have you guys got any idea what it maybe

I will do a list just in case I have missed anything out

Things I have Changed
  1. New Coil Pack
  2. New Ngk Spark Plugs
  3. New Air Filter
  4. second hand Map sensor (From Professional Clio Only Dismantles Did have a little3 bit of rubber hanging from seal They said this is ok )
Problems That car has got now
  1. Slight Shake on Idle
  2. Heater temp Gage goes half way ( Think This is normal Temp Thing after a few miles)
  3. Air Woosh noise On low revs from engine Think its from map sensor area
  4. sludge on oil filler sides and cap botton (I have cleaned it now car has only been used short distance)
Here Is some pictures But looks worse than it was

IMG_00071.jpg

IMG_00061.jpg

If any members can Give me some Advice I am very Grateful Indeed I will try and get a hd video uploaded :D

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The mayo like mess is actually just from condensation. If your car only does short journeys it can do this. Temp is normal, and we would need a video of the wooshing sound.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi Guys thanks so much for your advice Here is a HD Video of my clio I do think it may be a leak in airtake

Here is video please not that light was flashing towards end of the vidio so ecu will make engine limp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7Of3i8kM4

Not sure hope to post with player on fourm

Hope this is an easy job, guys do you know if the water goes around this one I do have steel seal will that fix it

Gareth

Last edited:
  clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Thanks mate I have just had a look at car and it seams to be coming from right at back near rubber shelving that holds wires if that's any help cheers gareth

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
I have today managed to remove my throttle body and gave it a clean. I The the gasket is at the front not at the back where air noise is coming from ?
car is in bits now lol So I will check what I can Does any one know if there is any seals at the back
I also would like to remove injectors as they get in the way not sure how hard it is
Thanks for your help guys

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Okay, so the engines are pretty tappy anyway, but towards the end of the video, that tsst sound when you hit the accelerator is perfectly normal. you do have a very tappey engine though, but then again it's quite high milage so i wouldn't worry too much, the gearstick movement is the same in every clio (yours isnt that bad actuallly), the uneven revs at idle is fine as they all do this to.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Thanks for your reply Rhys I know That the engine mounts need checking, I will clean what can on car maybe the sensor on throttle body needs doing,body was quite clean but Did have oil on sides etc.Hopefully I will get car back together tomorrow and se what happens I will just arm myself with wd40 and clean away I will let you know what happens again

Thanks gareth

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Did you get anywhere with this fella?
Mine's having the same problems.
I've changed coil pack/plugs, but still sounds shocking.
It doesn't quite go into limp, but it doesn't sound far off.
And when setting off or when at a junction, it sounds grumbly and theres a loss of power.
Thanks,

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi Drew No car is still idling at moment it was running ok but got to light this morning and the fumes light has came on again. I don't have A fault reader now but ordered one so should be with me tomorrow.Next I think I will clean TDC sensor and maybe That other valve forgot the name, se what that does If not it may be injectors, do you get a light on dash Thing is I noticed is that when I got in to car after cleaning it fuel gauge went higher then went down again very strange if you or any one else needs advice on how to remove intake just contact me I will show you guys quite easy. looks like until then its a guessing game:(

Thanks Gareth

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Not yet Rhys But Me and a mate did clean it no Idea if its that or not. Some one changed the injectors and that fixed there's This handheld code reader shows message on screen will be interesting to Se what it says .

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
When it went the first time, i had most of your symptoms, Limp mode, rough idle and woooshing.
So i changed the coil pack and it was fine for about 3 months.
But now its started doing it again (Since Saturday) Same wooooshing, sounds like its missing or got a flat spot, and lack of power.
I got it on the diagnostic reader at a mates garage, and it said something was open on cylinder 4, but when i checked it was fine. After i retested it the cylinder 4 thing had disappeared. Other than that there were no problems, i even got it on the cat output reading machine and that was fine. So i went to what i knew from last time, and exchanged my coil pack for a new one, as i've heard aftermarket ones are often of bad quality. I also put in 4 new NGK spark plugs.
My cylinder 2 spark plug was shagged, full of black gunk. But the rest were burning properly.
I didn't have no luck after i fitted them, as it was exactly the same. So i didn't have a clue.

BUT, i went out for a drive this evening and its right as rain again...
f**king French piece of s**t.

(I did replace my TDC sensor during the 3 months between coil packs though, doubt that has anything to do with it?)
I was toying with the idea of cleaning the throttle body, but now i don't need to. :)
Or Lambda sensor like rhys said, but i don't really know what that does.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi Drew

Well just got diagnostic tool on car and it said misfire not pacific again reset again left engine running but after a few mins light come on. system does have live data on it so now a bit lost what to do might clean tdc sensor.been reading mot and car did fail on This ( Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits ( 7.3D.2B)
Also on advisory it says engine light on engine running rough so they must have changed lambda not sure This was 21/06/2011
I wonder if its the fuel injectors cant beleave they are £70 Each shocking That might clean TDC Now se what that does :rolleyes:
Hope I get it sorted as I need car for Saturday

Cheers guys for help

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hello again guys just an update I have cleaned tdc sensor It was a night mare to get one bolt out,But I got it went for short drive car was ok in shopping car park light came when car was Idle. Something That I have noticed is that on my video my revs were over 10 but now they are on the second mark under the 10 seams strange. I forgot that I should have cleaned the (Idle control valve) but Did not and not sure where it is on car there was a wire with a sensor going into the throttle body but never seen icv do you guys know where it is and can I clean mine its a d4F Engine

Thanks gareth

Last edited:
  clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Guys Also Does any one know if I remove my oxygen sensor, or unplug it. Do you think it will show me if that's the fault. just an idea not sure how long these things last. Or is the anyway of testing the cat ?
May have to go to a garage soon but did not want to but its doing my head in lol nice cars but can be a pain when they go wrong

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
or forgot to mention. I have noticed that the big hose on the bottom of air filter has broken it then joins to the car frame work I have put tape on it not sure if this will cause issues or not.

Cheers gareth

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Just an update guys been out tonight car acted up reset it and it was driving fine on way back. but me and my partner heard like a water noise like ,glunk, glunk, glunk, it had been raining before hand but was coming from inside of car not engine. Any ideas what this was only heard it the once. I have booked car in garage for diagnostic to se if they can find anything out. car is only acting up if standing still or at lights or long get out junction will keep you updated.Also I have water on seats I need to fix the leaks

Gareth

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Thanks Rhys Just never heard anything like that sounded like if you turned a 2L bottle of pop upside down with out the top on glug glug strange hope it wasn't the petrol tank did not sound like a tapping

Thanks for your reply

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Rhys Just never heard anything like that sounded like if you turned a 2L bottle of pop upside down with out the top on glug glug strange hope it wasn't the petrol tank did not sound like a tapping

Thanks for your reply

It's not, its all the water built up in the sun roof, there is a LOT of it.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Thanks for that thought It might have been. Well an update on the car been to garage today and guy listened to engine and done diagnostic and it came up with Misfire on cylinder 2 the mechanic suggested I return coil pack to shop as he thinks this is the issue not sure what you guys think.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that thought It might have been. Well an update on the car been to garage today and guy listened to engine and done diagnostic and it came up with Misfire on cylinder 2 the mechanic suggested I return coil pack to shop as he thinks this is the issue not sure what you guys think.

If it's a single cylinder it will not be the pack itself. It will be a single ignition coil. try swapping round the ignition coils and see if you can make the misfire change cylinder, or start the car and pull them out 1 by 1 and see if it changes.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
I sort of know what you mean.my coil pack has built in wires so not sure if I am the right track lol shop said they will swap pack if needed no problem can I still do what you said ?

Thanks for your help its a 1.2 Expression

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I know it's the D4F but it's slightly different to the one in mine. Do you have the leads from your coilpack which then just plug straight onto your spark plugs rather than plugging the lead into a pencil coil.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
yeah could be faulty he said it has happened to him before he printed a report out think the code on one of his readers was DF112. hope my cats ok how do you test them he never said anything like so fingers crossed its the coil pack will let you know

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi just took coil pack off and the lead came off plastic very strange anyway I decided to remove cylinder 2 spark plug and it was dirty they have only been in a few weeks the old ones were cleaner here is a picture any way to clean inside ? or wd 40 / carb cleaner Here is picture

IMG_00111.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Can't really tell from the picture, they should be brownish. If they are black and sooty it's a sign you're engine is over fueling. If that's the case it's more than likely your lambda sensor.

Also as far as coilpacks go I got mine from eurocarparts and It's been perfectly fine :)