ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

all that talk about ctr v 172.

172cup
Probably not alot of people interested... but hey ho... i'll tell the story anyway.

I have always thought the ctr was alot faster than the 172's. From acceleration to top speed. When i always said to my friends that my cup's a lot faster than the ctr's... they always said yeah whatever.

So... anyway... my mate phones me up and says "just bought a 03 black ctr"... want me to show you how fast it is?". So... off i went, cup in hand...

Basically we put one up against the other (top gear stylee lol), and both decided that the cup looks a lot better, more aggresive, sporty, but the ctr was more comfortable, more tricks, and you could fit 3 people in the back lol. Then came the road test (private test track of course).... i killed him. Not only on straights, but cornering too. Was so so much quicker. Not just a little bit... but A LOT! (both cars standard).

I said it was probably down to the driver... the fact that i know my car better than he knows his etc etc. So we swapped. Immediately I didn't like it. There was no feel to the steering, gearbox, clutch, sound (stupid big hks exhaust fitted). Good seats, but poor show so far.

We basically done the exact same thing as we done before in our own cars... and again the cup flew compared to the ctr. I couldn't touch him no matter what i tried.

When i bought my cup, i always thought i should have bought a ctr instead... but now i've never felt so good about buying a cup lol.

rant over :rasp: :rolleyes: thats about as exciting as my life gets lol

cock mobile.
I like both cars, both have faults and some very good positives.

I haven't driven a CTR anywhere as much as my Cup though so it's hard to compare.

I'm sure your mate will keep up a lot better when he gets used to the car more and can push it further on it's limits.

i thought it was a nice motor, the ctr, but i just couldn't get used to that gearstick. i kept getting the wrong gears all the time. nice and easy to drive, didn't spin the wheels no matter how hard i booted it. would probably be better doing higher motorway speeds than the cup and it was more comfy.
just think the ctr was too much money.

Scirocco GT 210
d.brown said:
I have always thought the ctr was alot faster than the 172's. From acceleration to top speed.

Lots of people think this. You mention CTR and they're like "they are ****ing rapid!! I really wish I had one" then mention a clio and it's "gay and French", when in reality there's nothing between the two (in performance terms).

Misguided people :dapprove:

172cup
GuyS said:
what did ya mate say after he drove the cup?

Before he drove it... he said ... 'its alright' with a look that said 'mines better than yours', so he still wasnt giving up at this point.

After he drove it... he said "yeah it's fast man" lol. I like the way it turns in sharply with no roll... but that was about it.

I don't think he was too impressed to be honest... but he knew that the cup won here lol.

Jim172CUP said:
didn't spin the wheels no matter how hard i booted it

He questioned why it spun in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (just).. i said it was greasy, and has more bhp/ton than the tank

Jim172CUP said:
i kept getting the wrong gears all the time

i didnt have this problem in the ctr... but i did when i cop my cup for the first time. i couldnt go from 4th to 5th, or vice versa.

cock mobile.
Very true Steve

The Type R is a hell of a brand, unfortunately the RenaultSport brand isn't respected as much.

Bloody well should be though, who won F1 again? :)

182BG
d.brown said:
(both cars standard).

sound (stupid big hks exhaust fitted)
not quite standard then, LOL

Good comparison, good to see that you both swapped cars too.
both cars are pretty much equal imo
i like both cars, but i could only afford the cup at the time.... i think i made the best choice imo ;)

but if i wanted a car that would last me forever i would get the honda.

Monaco 172 2/468
*JimmyJ* said:
ok i being stupid i know, but whats a CTR again??

Honda Civic Type R !

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but the cup wouldn't destroy a CTR, if yours is sh!t loads faster than his, i'd suggest there maybe be something amiss with his car, you sure it's not just a sport lol ?

I had the same dilemma when buying my 172, so glad I went for the 172, although slightly slower than a CTR, a much better car in every way for my tastes :D

Plus how does the CTR insurance warrant an extra £200-300 (for me anyway) dunno why it's group 17 ??

172cup
Ibanezman said:
Honda Civic Type R !
if yours is sh!t loads faster than his, i'd suggest there maybe be something amiss with his car, you sure it's not just a sport lol

Well thats why i was surprised to be honest with you. I thought there was nothing in it, and if there was... he would be the one pulling away.

But when i drove the typr r it pulled in every gear smoothly, sounded powerful enough, had a kick to it, and it drove fine if you ask me.... but just couldnt catch my cup. This was from 0-120-ish, but also from 30-90 etc etc.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Just get an exhaust, IK and a K-pro ECU and 230bhp here you come and it murders the cup with equivilant mods.

EVOgone said:
Just get an exhaust, IK and a K-pro ECU and 230bhp here you come and it murders the cup with equivilant mods.

Love to see a 230 hp CTR murder my Cup with Maxogen, exhaust and R Sport ECU, just aint going to happen. Guy near me runs his 230-240 hp one at Crail and runs the same times/terminals as I was before I fitted a Maxogen (only had panel filter b4)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Neil82cup said:
Love to see a 230 hp CTR murder my Cup with Maxogen, exhaust and R Sport ECU, just aint going to happen. Guy near me runs his 230-240 hp one at Crail and runs the same times/terminals as I was before I fitted a Maxogen (only had panel filter b4)

CTRs are crap away from the line.

Hey i have a cup (exhaust) and i have been in one of the system R cars with these mods. Rolling starts its significantly faster, qtr Terminals are 107-110 (a cup with your mods will touch 100 if your lucky), which is fast.

Pauls demo car is still N/A and his terminals are 118+ which is fookin fast but it does have 235 @ wheels..!

Honda Engine is a lot cheeper and easier to tune....

TDI tyre shreader
EVOgone said:

33bhp off an exhaust, filter and a piggyback? that is some mighty impressive gains!!!

MINI JCW
d.brown: when you said you beat him easy, by how many car lengths and from what speed (i.e. 0-100)

My brother had a 330ci and he was glued to the back of a CTR, (even having to change up slightly earlier than normal) where as with my 182 he was neither gaining or being pulled away from,

Agree with the brand thing, everyone thinks Type R's are fast but only the minority in the know are aware of the potential of the Renaultsport cars and for me that makes that makes them even more appealing

172cup
gazcaddy said:
d.brown: when you said you beat him easy, by how many car lengths and from what speed (i.e. 0-100)

0to 60 i was probably about 2 car lengths ahead
30 to 120 i was probably 3 or 4 car lengths ahead
round the corners i was wayyyyy ahead

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
EVOgone said:
CTRs are crap away from the line.

Yup, they're not easy to launch well and the silly close gearing is not ideal for 1/4 miling...

I've had both a 172 Cup and a CTR, both cars ran exactly the same 1/4 mile time of 14.5secs, however the Cup was @ 93mph and the CTR was @ 97mph.

*Cup - standard apart from a Pipercross Viper & rear seats out
*CTR - standard apart from BMC CDA, cat-back zorst & no spare wheel​

Basically the Cup is better out of the blocks, they are a great car for standing starts and just fly away, but the CTR claws it back in the latter part of the race, from 3rd onwards really and is travelling quicker over the line. Now if the race were to keep going after the 1/4 mile marker the CTR would pass the Cup and keep pulling away.

THere is nothing in it, if there is, it's like you said with the CTR slightly infront. To be fair I think something must have been wrong with his car.