ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternative to Ad08R

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hi everyone

Seeing as though my favourite tyres are now no longer available I'm wanting some other semi slicks that are comparable both price wise and performance/ longitivity wise

I'm swaying more and more towards the NS2R in 180 compound as they are quite cheap.

The car will mainly be a road car with the occasional track day thrown in.

What do you suggest? I've heard the latest Ad08rs are absolutely terrible for how they last and their performance so I won't be going for them.

Thanks!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
If it’s a road car, Michelin Pilot Sports.

Whilst the MPS is a great all weather tyre, its nothing compared to the sidewall stiffness and dry weather grip that the OP is looking for.
From AD08s to a PS3 i think will be a disappointment.

An NS2R in either compound makes a superb dry grip tyre if you don't mind the tyre noise. I daily'd on these for years with my Clio and i loved them and personally found them great in the wet too which surprised me.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I get almost equally bad tyre noise from both NS2r’s and AD08RS 🤦🏼‍♀️
Such a shame the AD08RS are NLA 😢. Brilliant tyre.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I've had ps3 before and they were a brilliant everyday tyre but I really saw their limitations on track. Which of course I would, they are a road tyre.

I felt the ad08r were brilliant on the road and on track and would like something similar if possible

Renault Clio 182
Dude, I have Nankang NS2R’s on mine, and I can tell you they are worth the price! They dont have a very good wet grip, but here in hungary thats not a big problem. Iam currently looking for another options, and I think the best is the toyo r888r, pirelli p1 cinturato and pilot sport 3 has came up too. The toyo is too expensive, and the others did not convice me yet.

Swift Sport
I couldn't get on with NS2R's, I found them overrated. Just like a decent but noisy road tyre. They're the control tyre in Max5 and my mate doesn't rate them either as a race tyre. I preferred the Federal RSR back when they were about same price. I'm not even sure they're still available though.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't get on with NS2R's, I found them overrated. Just like a decent but noisy road tyre. They're the control tyre in Max5 and my mate doesn't rate them either as a race tyre. I preferred the Federal RSR back when they were about same price. I'm not even sure they're still available though.

Interesting as I too loved the RSR but found the edges would wear very quickly on them. Whereas the NS2R has a much squarer shoulder and stood up better to wear in that area. Also prefer the NS2R in the wet.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whilst the MPS is a great all weather tyre, its nothing compared to the sidewall stiffness and dry weather grip that the OP is looking for.
From AD08s to a PS3 i think will be a disappointment.

An NS2R in either compound makes a superb dry grip tyre if you don't mind the tyre noise. I daily'd on these for years with my Clio and i loved them and personally found them great in the wet too which surprised me.
I had them on mine (I get NS2R’s for £20 each, not to) but I just couldn’t cope with the road noise on my commute. The tyre drone is louder than the radio!
I’ve now opted for a second set of wheels with Uniroyal Rainsport 5’s as my daily tyres and leave the NS2R’s for track.
Both sets of tyres cost me under £300 fitted all in. No brainer.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
If you’ve got a full interior you could probably live with the Ns2r’s on a daily, unbeatable for the price. Next best semi slick in the price bracket is the 888r’s followed by Nankang’s other semi slick the Ar1.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've got NS2R and PS3 on 2 sets of wheels

Can say that the NS2R are loads better in dry weather. I ran a set of 100 compound ones last year and they stuck like dog s**t to an old blanket

Although one of my mates sells GITI GT2 tyres from the fun cup and I can say they feel equally as good as NS2R, if not slightly better!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
In the same boat. I've bought 2 new AD08RS to replace the worn AD08R on the front of my ep3.

I'm going to give the accelera 651 a shot tho, as they're so cheap at the moment (25% off til 4th May). Supposed to do really well for the price. Will put them in the garage and fit them when these AD08RS wear out (which I still haven't had chance to try yet)

I had Ns2R on my civic very briefly and also were on my Twingo RS when I bought it - I hate them! on a road car at least, they're crap.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'd still say ad08rs. People who seem to say they're crap havnt actually used them
Did a bit of a search last night for these on track time as I was under the same impression but I've now seen loads of comparisons with people's times and how they differ with the new version. Same with understeer and oversteer, saw two different people saying that with the new version at the same bend on track they were getting understeer rather than oversteer instead which to me sounds like they are really shite now.

@bashracing that would be the dream for me to have two sets but sadly I wouldn't be able to take them there in the mr2.
@leeds2592 is my support vehicle when on track but he'd have to come to mine first each time we go on a track day hahaha so that's why I'm wanting a do it all kind of tyre that the ad08r used to be

I wouldn't go with the NS2R 180's Dan as I found them lethal on my roadster as you just cant get any heat into them on the road, OK on track once warm but start to go off quickly when pushing on. I sold mine which were nearly new and used my Nankang AR1's instead as they are much better in all occasions apart from pissing down rain.

If going with a track tyre for the road you want something with a softer compound so they grip cold as when these cars let go its much harder to pull them back in line. I've had the NS2R 100 compound and they were brilliant but not sure you can get them anymore. I think they still do the 120 compound with the NS2R's but maybe not in 15".

Something like a Maxsport RB5 would suit as you can stagger the front (185) and rear (205) and you could choose either a medium or soft compound. And they're only £85 a corner.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've had the NS2R 100 compound and they were brilliant but not sure you can get them anymore. I think they still do the 120 compound with the NS2R's but maybe not in 15".

Looks like the only 100 compound tyres they do are now the AR-1, perhaps they're phasing out the NS2R completely?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the only 100 compound tyres they do are now the AR-1, perhaps they're phasing out the NS2R completely?
Nah they just made the AR-1 to replace the NS2R soft compound. The soft was more geared towards track use and towards the end you could only get them if you were a motorsport related body. Now any Tom, Dick or Harry can buy AR-1's

Maybe, shame really as the 100's were an excellent. I've just sold my set from the Skoda to my mate for his EP3. He cannot believe the levels of grip they produce from cold and just keep getting better with heat.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

AR1’s literally pulled out old Abarth 500 track car apart. So much grip and sticky-ness that after every Hot track day, something was broken.

Back in the NS2R’s or a wet track day on Uniroyals and it was reliable as ever. 😂

As mentoned I'd go with a second set of wheels with dedicated track rubber like AR1's. You can fit a spare set of wheels (and exhaust) in there even with the passenger seat in situ :LOL:

NKSM0Qvl.jpg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
As mentoned I'd go with a second set of wheels with dedicated track rubber like AR1's. You can fit a spare set of wheels (and exhaust) in there even with the passenger seat in situ :LOL:

View attachment 1469887
I'm really surprised by that, looks like there's far more room in yours there than mine. I have a fixed bucket seat in mine though whereas that looks like the standard seat slid backmaybe?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ad08 are a road tyre really, give up on track pretty easily too compared to a true track oriented semi slick.

unfortunately you genuinely can't get the best of both worlds really as a proper semi will be uncomfortable and noisy on a mainly road car and a road tyre will give up on track.

as such, cram the spares in like a boss and go Direzza for track and PS3/4 on road imo

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
ad08 are a road tyre really, give up on track pretty easily too compared to a true track oriented semi slick.

unfortunately you genuinely can't get the best of both worlds really as a proper semi will be uncomfortable and noisy on a mainly road car and a road tyre will give up on track.

as such, cram the spares in like a boss and go Direzza for track and PS3/4 on road imo
Yeah I know you can't have best of both worlds matey I just wanted something that would perform like the ad08r that coped quite well on track but is also a good road tyre if ya dig