ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternative Track Day Tyres

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as the price of Toyo R888 has gone up into the price bracket of other manufactures trackday tyres.

Has anyone any experience of using other semi slick track day tyres and anyone know how they compare to the R888?

Would be good if we could get a list up with some approx prices

Mk2 172
Hankook RS2's are very good. Main thing u need to look for is the sidewall strength. The hankook has a much stiffer trackday tyre sidewall like the R888. All other tyres like T1R's, paradas etc have the softer wal for road usel. No good. Youll just eat the corners completely off within one track day unlike the hankooks.
I ran them before R888's.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Paradas are bobbins. Complete guff. I had some on a Clio and did Combe and the complete edge of the tyre just fell apart!

Not even close to a semi slick.

url

Vs Toyo R888....

url

Last edited:
  SQ5
Paradas are bobbins. Complete guff. I had some on a Clio and did Combe and the complete edge of the tyre just fell apart!

Not even close to a semi slick.

url

Vs Toyo R888....

url

Yup Yokos are s**t once up to a decent track temperature, but very good for road driving.

BMW M5 & E36
Wasn't particularly impressed by the RS2's at Oulton the other week personally.

Now i've got 6 Dunlop slicks instead :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Wasn't particularly impressed by the RS2's at Oulton the other week personally.

Now i've got 6 Dunlop slicks instead :)

I thought that running slicks isnt very good on your driveshafts tho!?

But then again the cup racers run slicks so hay ho

BMW M5 & E36
But R-S2's and slicks are 2 very different things, the R-S2's are a road tyre with a stiff side wall...I think.

No i know. I wasn't directly comparing the 2. I bought the RS2's knowing they were somewhere between T1R and R888, but wasn't very impressed by them :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I thought that running slicks isnt very good on your driveshafts tho!?

But then again the cup racers run slicks so hay ho

There was a guy on MLR that used slicks on his 400hp Evo 8 and reckoned that he cracked welds on the car! lol.

BMW M5 & E36
Please explain further.....as I was about to buy some.

I ran T1R all of last year, £28 a pop and did the job just fine. I didnt think the RS2 were alot better and not worth twice the money. They were no doubt better, but not quite to the extent I was expecting having read other peoples opinions on here. I'd say I used half the tread in one day too, so not looking like they'll last too long either (I just had a pair on the front).

lift number 1 @ btm
^T1-R's is a better tyre IMO and only £30 a corner

Agreed, I know people slate them on here but I've never had a problem with them.

The best I've used were yoko A006t's but good luck getting them at a sensible price!

CLIO PH1 172
t1rs are what i will be gettingn they seem to get the best comments on both, track and road

Cooksport Fleet
Parada spec 2's de-laminated after 2 short sessions around combe. T1R's are much better for a budget tyre.

BMW M5 & E36
My RS2's after quite a steady day at Oulton. These were on the front of a sub 850kg Mk1, so would probably have suffered a bit more on the Mk2's

IMG_3790-1024.jpg

My small collection :eek:

IMG_3787-1024.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
By steady I meant i didn't go out for as many stints as I usually would, wheel bearings put a stop to things :(

BMW M5 & E36
Never used them/heard anything of them. For performance/£, T1R every time, just play about with the pressures.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I ran T1R all of last year, £28 a pop and did the job just fine. I didnt think the RS2 were alot better and not worth twice the money. They were no doubt better, but not quite to the extent I was expecting having read other peoples opinions on here. I'd say I used half the tread in one day too, so not looking like they'll last too long either (I just had a pair on the front).

What did you have on the back?
888s?

What pressures you using, i'm 26 cold & seem fine.
For the money in 17's nothing comes close.
Did nearly 200 miles round Silverstone & only one tyre was showing wear.

Parada spec 2's delamitate when pushed hard, fact.

Awaiting RS3 :D