ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternatives to a GoPro HD?

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
I want a video camera for action sports and the occasional trackday, but not necessarily a teeny-tiny one that attaches anywhere. Preferably one with a proper viewfinder and LCD screen so that I can use it as a camcorder too.

I've done some research and it seems that the Flip UltraHD is pretty good?

Anyone got anything decent for a sub-£200 budget?

M135i and the shed
My issue with that would be that it looks to be more aimed at recreational filming, rather than sports based so i'd be worried if it could handle the shocks and vibration i'd use it for.

I wnt all round the hoses when I bought mine, but in the price bracket the GoProHD just provided the best package for me.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
My issue with that would be that it looks to be more aimed at recreational filming, rather than sports based so i'd be worried if it could handle the shocks and vibration i'd use it for.

I wnt all round the hoses when I bought mine, but in the price bracket the GoProHD just provided the best package for me.

I'd only use it to film action sports, I wouldn't be attaching it to my head or anything.

M135i and the shed
Ah ok, well with my GoPro I do quite alot of filming with the camera attached to the outside of the car, bike etc. I also use it as a chest cam for biking etc aswell. It's just nice to know that the cmera can take any combination of shock, water, heat etc that you care to throw at it.

When I bought mine, I also looked at the Contour HD but the colours weren't as good and I didn't think the mounting options were as versatile.

You can get an LCD panel for the GoPro so you can see what you're filming, but that's another £80 odd on top of the £300 odd for the camera :(

M135i and the shed
You can get an LCD panel for the GoPro so you can see what you're filming, but that's another £80 odd on top of the £300 odd for the camera :(

I intended to buy the LCD BacPac thing when I first got my GoPro, but to be honest i've never needed it. It's pretty easy to position to get the view you're after anyway.

Yeh, I haven't had an issue with my GoPro HD. Just saying IF you really want to see what you're filming then you can, but it'll cost you :(

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
The GoPro HD's seem to be coming down in price too, plenty of 1080p ones for £200!

M135i and the shed
Only downside to the GoPro, as I see it, is the cost of the additional mounts and accessories. You can very easily rack up £100 worth of chest, rollbar and tripod mounts if you're not careful.

Mr Burns

ClioSport Club Member
  Swift Sport
There's some good deals on eBay from the States, I'm guessing they may be different specs to the UK market and should be avoided?

M135i and the shed
Not sure on the US one's. I got mine for £240 new off UK Ebay about 6 months ago. Some decent deals out there if you look.

Bus w**ker
Just get the go pro.
This. For the price and portability nothing compares.

I only paid £255 for my HD delivered, with the full helmet mount package. Gonna get the LCD Bacpac and the battery one too, another £130 and not really needed for most things...but it's handy to have especially as I usually use mine whilst up a mountain.

RIP Dan
I must say that I have not got one...yet.

Lots of mates have them as their surf setup.

If I can start surfing again then next year I will get a one as it is THE only setup in water on a board. Also if I start track days or hill climbs again on my bike then it will do for that too.

Last edited:
  RIP Dan
You getting everything in before getting a bird?

Doesn't work that way, they make you sell it all anyway.

x

172 Race Car
Having owned the original Go-pro and recently borrowing Dan's HD version, they have come on a LONG way. Tried several others and they just dont compare.

We have a Toshiba Cameio P30 for external stuff, used it for the in car camera untill this season.

c04ad7%7C4c57_10495-img9124s.jpg

Footage looks like this on SD but does do HD 1080

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my mum a sony bloggie and borrowed it for RIAT
Sony-Bloggie-MHS-CM5-camcorder.jpg

Dont criticise the shacking as i was freezing my tits off at the time lol was pretty much on full zoom aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Bus w**ker
I am, but I'm borrowing Sy's this time.

GoPro, not bird. Just to clarify that lol.

We have a Toshiba Cameio P30 for external stuff, used it for the in car camera untill this season.
I've got the previous model to that, supposed "Pro". It's not bad quality and it was dirt cheap, so I don't mind giving it to my mates to f**k about with whilst we're away.