ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobius Action Camera - Cheap GoPro alternative/dashcam

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It needed its own thread really as it doesn't just fit in as a dash camera - it's much more besides.

So what is it?
It's essentially a budget GoPro, but about half the size, and comes with a range of different features and ways to configure it which make it incredibly versatile.
It can do things like time lapses, looped and sectioned recording (for use as a dash cam), motion detection, use as a webcam, output to a TV/Monitor, and so on.

Whilst configuration can be done through the camera, it's far easier to do it with the windows config software. LINK

It can record in a max of 1080p/30fps, or 720p/60fps.

It's bloody tiny - the camera itself is not much bigger than a box of tictacs, making it very easy to hide if installed in a car, or mount in tight spaces.

And it's cheap - £43, plus a card of your choice (although I suggest you read the linked thread before ordering a class 10 all singing all dancing 29382gb card off ebay, link to a reliable one below.)

Some photos -
Photo%2005-04-2014%2005%2054%2014%20pm.png

IMG_1118.png

IMG_1117.png

Some footage - Youtube decreases the quality of videos considerably, so the raw files from the camera are uploaded to see for yourself.
720p 60fps (camera wasn't quite mounted securely here - with a proper suction mount, or simply being less retarded, it's a lot smoother and more stable.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17905285/REC_0003.MOV
1080p 30fps
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17905285/REC_0013.MOV

Also check out this great review by Techmoan;

HAVE A LOOK AT THIS THREAD WHEN BUYING TOO;
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

TO BUY
Camera - LINK
SD Card - LINK

So, there's a few people on CS using these, I believe Markcup has just bought two and some have been used as dashcams for quite a while, so I thought I'd give it its own thread as it works just as well as a gopro type camera.
Be good to see some youtube videos/footage from peoples' cameras and reviews :)

Renault Clio
Just be careful with these as I had two go pop as they don't like to be on for too long ! Möbius exchanged the first one and then after the second went changed to a different style of there cameras, they said 'they are designed as an outdoor action camera so air is meant to be flowing over the two silver triangle heatsinks to cool them', not sure if they have changed now, but I have had no problems with the different style they sent, cheers

There are a LOT of clones, so buying from eBay is not wise.

If we're gonna have a proper thread on it, can we link the real sellers? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

Aka:

Direct Sellers:China: eletoponline365; digitalele889

Re-sellers:

China: HobbyKing (Hong Kong); BangGood;

Singapore: Drone Matters

U.S.: novotm (MA); Massive RC (FL); SPYTEC (NY); ReadyMadeRC (OH); BangGood (US warehouse)

Canada: Great Hobbies (PE, ON, AB)

Europe: BangGood (UK warehouse); Webbex (U.K.); JooVuu (U.K.); Pakatak (U.K.); ; Mobius-Cam (NL); Revotech (CZ); Car Black Box (PL); Mobiuscam (RU)

As above though, they are a fantastic camera for the money, they're not quite as good quality as the GoPro, but they're good enough for the money that's for sure.​

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I've got one, had it about a year to eighteen months now and no problems with it at all. I used to use it as a dashcam but my commute is less risky these days so now it's in the Clio for trackdays.

Footage from a recent trackday here, although even at 1080p settings YouTube still drops the quality a fair bit compared to the original video:

The sound drop outs are not the camera, I get a bit shouty behind the wheel sometimes :D

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
A much better example of incar footage :p
Considering it has no image stabilisation the footage does tend to come out pretty stable. When the camera's not swinging around on a bit of half-stuck velcro.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Just got mine in the post today, all I've done up to now is harass guinea pigs with it but it seems great!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
f**k me, I was about to type in this thread when someone else bumped it! Mindreaders at work methinks.

I set it recording earlier to test something and forgot to turn it off. I now have an hour and 10 minutes of video of a wall, at which point I noticed it was still on. It was running on battery power the whole time and never showed a single sign of giving up. Not bad.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Lasts a while then!

I've got a track day next week so will be getting it set up for that. The Punto has a fairly redundant SatNav in it, the GPS antennae sits behind the rearview mirror so I'm hoping to get the camera mounted up there tidily.

I assume if I was clever I could run it off the GPS wiring somehow lol...

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Was in the garage til 2am last night, messing with my Mobius, lens cable extension and a spare GPS receiver from puntospares...

Driver's view

IMAG3072.jpg

Behind the mirror

IMAG3074.jpg

IMAG3073.jpg

Exterior

IMAG3075.jpg

It's not 100% yet, I could do with dremelling some more of the GPS case away to lift the lens up slightly and possibly move it back so that it's not in contact with the window. At the moment it captures the top of the dash and ideally I am going for just the bonnet with maybe a thin sliver of dash.

The GPS case literally just slides between the window and a small mount on the back of the mirror, which pushes it against the windscreen. The body of the camera is fixed with velcro to the mount, so it should all be easy to take out if the velcro stays put. I found a nice fitting grommet to fill the hole where the lens originally was and used the original GPS grommet where it runs into the GPS case.

There is wiring going to the GPS receiver so it might be possible to wire it in properly, but I have no real clue so I'll stick to batteries for the moment!

I think there might be enough room to fit the innards of the camera into the GPS case along with the lens, sorting the buttons and heat sink would be hard the hardest bit. Memory card could just stay in there and I guess the USB could be sorted with a short mini to female USB cable, would take more space up inside though unless I cut another hole into it.

For now I'll just get the lens pointing where i want and make sure everything is secure for Oulton Park next Friday!

Interesting idea, but confused why you'd keep the case when you could move it all inside the GPS case :]

Out of interest, I presume you've removed the lipo battery too, so you just have it powered on from source?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Yeah it's a possibility, not 100% sure it will fit in the GPS case though and having access to the controls/ports might be a struggle. I'll get the lens fixed in the right spot and then look into all that.

The battery is still in there, don't know where to start with figuring out using the GPS wiring to power it at the moment. Guess I just start prodding stuff with a multimeter? lol

32GB cards just arrived (might get another cam for the rear). Shat myself last night when i put it all back together and the led was blinking at me, thought I'd broken something until I cleared the 1GB temporary card.

Ahh, not sure about GPS wiring, but if you're using the usb connection still, as far as im aware you can just desolder the battery and it still runs (need to check this, but i think that's the case).

I'm not sure how the charging regulation is, but it can be a bit hit and miss, and you certainly don't want a fire from overcharging it (maybe that's a bit OTT, but happens easily).

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Battery just unplugs, no need to de-solder anything AFAIK. You can get a capacitor kit which will provide enough juice to save your video after the power's switched off, which is more reliable and less heat sensitive than the standard lipo.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Managed to get another and set it up for the rear, went to a soaking wet Oulton on Friday and got some good footage with them. The rear camera died before lunch, tried to charge them both for an hour or so but it wasn't really long enough to get anything worthwhile after that, missed an Evo going into a tyre wall behind me which would have been fairly spectacular.

I'm thinking it might be good to get one of those battery charging packs to use with them instead of wiring them in.

Will get some vids up when I have chance, got a Clio 197 going sideways around Island Bend and then moments later it went straight across the grass at Foulstons. Can just about see a huge sheet of water fly up in the air when it does!

Managed to get another and set it up for the rear, went to a soaking wet Oulton on Friday and got some good footage with them. The rear camera died before lunch, tried to charge them both for an hour or so but it wasn't really long enough to get anything worthwhile after that, missed an Evo going into a tyre wall behind me which would have been fairly spectacular.

I'm thinking it might be good to get one of those battery charging packs to use with them instead of wiring them in.

Will get some vids up when I have chance, got a Clio 197 going sideways around Island Bend and then moments later it went straight across the grass at Foulstons. Can just about see a huge sheet of water fly up in the air when it does!

I used one for a rear view on the same day too, good value for ~£40. I just added a second cigarette lighter into the boot on an ignition live, so can just plug in a power adaptor for it on track days. Turns on with the car and starts recording, etc.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I used one for a rear view on the same day too, good value for ~£40. I just added a second cigarette lighter into the boot on an ignition live, so can just plug in a power adaptor for it on track days. Turns on with the car and starts recording, etc.
Would be handy if they came on automatically! Syncing the videos up is a pain!
It turns out I did get the Evo going off into the barrier, found it last night!

Which car were you in to save me looking through your posts for a project thread lol?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ordered myself one of these off the link in the OP last month and it's still not arrived. Tracking info says it's still at UK customs. Anyone else had any issues like this?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Syncing the videos up is a pain!

You need one of these...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapperboard

I don't use one as such but when recording anything I know I will want to synchronise later I give 3 loud claps once all cameras and audio devices are running...then when pulling it all together in my editing suite it's easy to line them all up when you have three pronounced spikes clearly visible on each track in the audio waveform of each file.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

Which car were you in to save me looking through your posts for a project thread lol?

You can set the mobius to turn on automatically when external power is supplied.

Black E36
Think you appear in my video. Syncing isn't too bad, especially if you put one video to L and the other to R, then just match up the sound

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Black E36
Think you appear in my video. Syncing isn't too bad, especially if you put one video to L and the other to R, then just match up the sound

Yeah that's me at the end getting left behind!
BM looks mean and interesting in the wet! :up:

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I never had any issues when I ordered mine from that link, possibly contact the seller?
Think I'll need to now. Delivery date on eBay says tomorrow (21st) but it's still not moved from where it was 22 days ago, so I think it's probably time to do that.

Wonder if it's just a busy time for customs with Christmas coming up, or if there is actually an issue. I was worried it was going to get hit with import tax or something.

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Are there any UK sellers for this? My girlfriend wants a dashcam for Christmas but I'm worried I wont receive this one in time.

Are there any UK sellers for this? My girlfriend wants a dashcam for Christmas but I'm worried I wont receive this one in time.

Direct Sellers:China: eletoponline365; digitalele889Re-sellers: