ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobius Action Camera - Cheap GoPro alternative/dashcam

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Just looking to place an order, which is suggested for in car use the normal lens camera or the wide angle model?

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Is the 3m cable long enough to reach the 12v socket in a Clio or is a 4m worth it?
Will Velcro hold it securely enough or the suction mounts worth while?
Any other suggestions for buying?
Cheers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I have just fitted a Mobius as a dash cam and all the highlights (ie clouds, sky etc) are showing up as pink any ideas why this would be like it?

Can you post a screenshot?

@Paul172sport

I can't say on the 3m cable as I haven't used it, but it sounds like enough to me.
I would look for some better quality velcro IMO, although the small suction mount is probably the most secure option, albeit the most conspicuous one.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
@McGherkin
This is what I am on about, looks like a thermal imaging camera
mobius%202_zps6zwpr55l.gif

mobius%203_zpsbpfj3f4k.gif

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Well...
Psychedelic colors may also indicate problems with the CMOS lens module. Make sure the CMOS lens cable is correctly seated and not cracked. The lens cable is very fragile.

I'd try and see if it's saveable. Re-seat the ribbon cable and hopefully that'll fix it.
a5857130-218-pic%2012.jpg

Worst case scenario is a new CMOS sensor. If it's brand new and you can't fix it I'd send it back/ask for a refund though.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Mine arrived today so will be installing over weekend. Any tips for placement of camera or the software set up? First time with a camera so what's the best basic settings?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Been messing with the camera over the last week.
Fitted the lens back to standard and it worked so then tried it with the extension again and it played up, so turned the extension lead around and it all seen fine now.
I will give it a try for a few days and see how it goes.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Fitted the lens back to standard and it worked so then tried it with the extension again and it played up, so turned the extension lead around and it all seen fine now.

Glad to hear it's all sorted!

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
help needed and im sure its something stupidly simple.
had the first attempt with mine last night, just checked the card to see how it went, ive a load of mov clips saved but they are all just a black screen when playing back.
any ideas what i need to change?
also where do i set the date/time

(oh and yes, i have taken off the lens cap)

help Cs'ers

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
help needed and im sure its something stupidly simple.
had the first attempt with mine last night, just checked the card to see how it went, ive a load of mov clips saved but they are all just a black screen when playing back.
any ideas what i need to change?
also where do i set the date/time

(oh and yes, i have taken off the lens cap)

help Cs'ers

Codec issue on your computer possibly? Try recording in MP4 if it's that bad.

Date and time you set in the configuration software, it's on Basic Settings, 'Sync Date and Time'. When you save the settings it will automatically synchronize the time and date with your computer's.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Cheers, sorted the play back, I'll blame the very old laptop. Downloaded apple quick time player and all sorted

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth

Just had to follow your method and swap the extension cable around to get rid of picture issues (the cam was also not turning off properly) when fitting my replacement cable. Makes no sense to me why it works...but cheers!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Any external microphone integration with these? Ideally I want to record sound from engine bay/exhaust. The internal cabin sound is drowned out a lot.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Any external microphone integration with these? Ideally I want to record sound from engine bay/exhaust. The internal cabin sound is drowned out a lot.

Not really. You could always record using an external device (I use my phone with the headphone mic) and mix the audio in after.

@H.Maxim mine's mounted using the suction cup at the moment.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Gave my car cams a good run today. Had about an hour and twenty minute drive then left them going while the car was parked up. Front camera had died by the time I got back. Charged them for about an hour off an Anker battery pack and did the same drive back. Front cam died on the way but the rear was still going when I got home.

Front cam (bought last year) managed about 1 hr 45 min of recording. Rear cam (bought a couple of months ago - 820mAh battery) had about 3 hours 20 minutes of footage on it. Also noticed that the setup layouts on the software are different between them.

Just ordered an upgraded battery for the front cam.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I never realised it had a new battery in it!

Managed to forget to turn them on when I was actually driving around Curborough though...

I need this. I'm a r****d with stuff like this. Is it r****d friendly?

Yes, piece of piss, press the on/off button, then press the record button :smile: (LED will then flash on/off to show recording) - then just press record button again or turn it off to turn it off, simples :smile:

Another video from me demonstrating indoor quality with fairly bright lights about.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
I cba to check links, how much is it to buy?

Also does the footage just re-write over a period of time?

£40-50 odd if you can wait for it to come from China. Then a memory card as well if you haven't already got one you can stick in. Links on the first page still work.

You can set it up to re-write if you want. There's some pretty easy to use software to set it up.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Shame there's no external mic support. Thought it would have worked off the micro HDMI input with mic adapter.

No doubt that will be in the next one.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
What micro HDMI port? That's a mini USB.

The lack of external mic support is unfortunate but not many people ask for it.

Mini USB means it should be even easier to access the sound board on the device. I agree not many ask for a feature like that, but for recording exhaust/engine notes etc., it's very handy.

Very clever gadget though, and having just sold my GoPro 3+ Black I may well invest in one of these.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Got the new 820mAh battery into my front facing cam and got the following out of them yesterday without charging, both set to 1080p/30fps...

Front - 2 hr 30 min 30 sec (8 files)
Rear - 2 hr 27 min 48 sec (6 files)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mini USB means it should be even easier to access the sound board on the device. I agree not many ask for a feature like that, but for recording exhaust/engine notes etc., it's very handy.

Very clever gadget though, and having just sold my GoPro 3+ Black I may well invest in one of these.

How badly do you want audio from a separate mic?

Zoom H1 (http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1) badly? I've had mine six months now, fantastic little thing.